The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-09-2021, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Off topic:

Ben Morgan Brown! “Squeeeee!” from an Acoustic Review fangirl!

Yay! I had no idea you are on this board until just now. Last night my husband and I watched your Orange preamp review and I’m not even in the market. I just really enjoy your reviews! My husband feels he does a pretty good impression of you (he does not ), always followed by his asking me “Hey, what’s this guy’s first name again?”

I first found your reviews while scouring YouTube for anything and everything about Furch guitars (during a seemingly interminable wait for a Yellow GC-CR). And now, I just enjoy your sober, even tone and calm review ways.

Your playing is pretty rootin tootin good, too.
Ha! Does your husband say "Hello, and welcome to Acoustic Review..." by any chance? My wife always takes the mickey when I'm playing guitar at home and, when I get to the end of a piece, she always goes "Hello, and welcome to Acoustic Review..."

Glad you enjoy the channel, it's really weird to think I have 'fans'
Old 04-09-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Ha! Does your husband say "Hello, and welcome to Acoustic Review..." by any chance? My wife always takes the mickey when I'm playing guitar at home and, when I get to the end of a piece, she always goes "Hello, and welcome to Acoustic Review..."

Glad you enjoy the channel, it's really weird to think I have 'fans'
Lol! Yes, he does exactly that.

Of course you have fans. I like your reviews and it’s as simple as that.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:30 AM

Oh, look. Doyle Dykes is endorsing it!

*shocked*
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-09-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Oh, look. Doyle Dykes is endorsing it!

*shocked*
Haha that was my first reaction as well. This guy endorses everything!
Old 04-09-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
The Orange Acoustic Pre is more attractive for me. Have a tube channel and a clean channel, with stereo effect loop.
Exactly. I had real gas for one because I love tubes. But stopped myself.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I’ve yet to hear anything from Orange that makes me think they have the first idea about acoustic amplification. I love their electric amps to death, but their acoustic kit just doesn’t do it for me.

Also, as an engineer/producer/session player, I can’t STAND gimmicky tonal control names such as “Q Factor”. Just call it what it is! If it’s a sweepable mid or variable notch, title it as such. The secret to pleasing session clients is to be able to take instruction on tonal changes and to be able to show them clearly that you’re doing as they’ve asked. More mids? Grab the Mid control and rotate it to the right. Less gain? Likewise, but CCW. No client has ever hit the talkback to tell me “needs more Q factor!” ��
Have you seen the video Doug Young did of the Orange 2 channel acoustic pre? It's looks pretty solid, and good sounding piece of gear with the most wanted acoustic pre features (phase, ground lift, sweepable mid, phantom power, XLR out etc...)

And you may not like it, but Q or Q factor is a legitimate parametric mid terminology, what's the problem with that? The three knobs are mid frequency, boost or cut, and q. The client says cut the midrange. You find the offending frequency, cut it, and adjust the q factor till it's the right size slice of the pie so to say. You client doesn't need to know how you did it. The pedal is pretty impressive in the what it packs into a small pedal, including XLR out, 1/4" out, phase switch, and a buffered FX loop.

As for others who are complaining about no mute button or tuner out, this pedal would be great on acoustic pedal board that had a volume pedal in front of the pre that already has a tuner out it. As a matter of fact I can see a volume, the Orange pre, and a HX Stomp in the buffered FX loop, as a serious acoustic pedal board. The HX Stomp could handle all the FX and the tuner chores. And the Orange pre, aside from being a nice front end to feed the HX Stomp with, could block phantom from getting to the HX stomp. And when you wanted just a good straight analog acoustic tone you could just set the HX stomp in bypass mode. Any decent power supply could power the Orange pedal with 18V and you could put a polarity adaptor on the Orange pedal. This pedal won't work for everybody, but I can see it working for many acoustic musicians that need a good basic pre as part of an acoustic pedal board. At a $169 I feel it's a bargain.

I am going to contact Orange to see if they can answer the following questions...

what are the freq ranges of the controls?
what is the input impedance?
can you use the additional 1/4" output as a tuner out?
how many milliamps does it need from the power supply?

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-10-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
Also, as an engineer/producer/session player, I can’t STAND gimmicky tonal control names such as “Q Factor”. Just call it what it is! If it’s a sweepable mid or variable notch, title it as such.
In every electronic textbook it's called a "Q-factor".

Wikipedia link
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-10-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Haha that was my first reaction as well. This guy endorses everything!
I love both of them but Doyle and Greg Koch have conquered the cottage industry of being performers/clinicians/endorsers. I do not blame them one iota but I definitely chuckle when I see who Doyle is working with this month.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification