The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-11-2021, 09:02 PM

Default Pentangle, live, 1972

Not long before they broke up, sounding great anyway.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:46 AM

I loved Pentangle! This was a nice reminder.

John Renbourn was a big influence on me when I first explored acoustic guitar, after 7 years of electric. And I was a fan of the John Renbourn Group with Jacqui McShee.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-13-2021, 06:50 AM

Great stuff! Thanks for posting!!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-13-2021, 06:56 PM

Always great to be reminded what a fine sound that group made! I'd seen this set before and watching again I note once more how Jansch looks very very laid back at this point. And between his vintage soundhole magnetic pickup and Renbourn on an electric hollowbody (and wah wah pedal!) by equipment list they would have not passed muster for many here as examples of how to make a good live sound. Yet it all works.

Besides the guitarists, great as they are, I want to also praise Danny Thompson and Terry Cox. I admire Thompson's bass playing so much. Even though he can be a busier, less fundamental bass player than many guitarists prefer behind them, he adds so much to the richness of the sound. And Cox? I never see anyone singing his praises. It had to be darn tough to play drums in such a band and to not "get in the way" with Thompson, Jansch and Renbourn all having their parts in the ensemble sound. He not only finds a way to make that work, he adds musical nuance.

A few years back, when I had a few more chops and time, I tried to imitate Pentangle's sound. There's are many fine players here, and I'm not even able to fake being a musician some days, but I was so pleased to get as close as I did with my one-man-band recording. Here's a link to play it.

Rosemary

The song is my setting of an Edna St. Vincent Millay poem by the way.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-14-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I had the Sweet Child and Reflections albums back in the day

I was struck by the vastly different interpretations of Rain and Snow by Grateful Dead and then Pentangle

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN