The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 11-27-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Default John Osthoff AS-C / OM-C Adirondack & Waterfall Mahogany Amazing Tone *SOLD*

An AGF friend once recommended John Osthoff's guitars to me saying they are close to the Olson/Ryan level for far less money. No question, that's true. When I saw a great deal on one, I tried it even though I certainly don't need more guitars (sound familiar, anybody?...) and it has been amazing. But financial and practical realities are catching up with me so I'm passing it along.

This is a 2004 AS-C, which is a cutaway with a generally OM-type body shape but a bit larger, with almost a full 16" lower bout and 4-5/8" depth at the end block. It feels like a small guitar but sounds like a big one--with a big, deep, resonant tone that has a wonderful balance-- a big rumbly bass, and sparkling trebles and fat mids. This guitar has it all.

There are some notable dings and scratches (I can provide photos)--but they aren't actually that noticeable in real life. The previous owner replaced the original Schaller tuners with Gotoh 510's and caused some chipping of the finish on the back of the headstock around each tuner (photo 7). That's why this guitar isn't thousands more. And when you hear the tone of this guitar you won't care. There's very minor wear on the first 3-4 frets, but not even close to enough to affect playability.

The playability is excellent for fingerstyle, currently at 3/32" low E and 2/32" high E with 0.012"-0.053" strings in standard tuning. The nut is 1-11/16" but there's more depth to the "C" neck profile than most modern guitars so it doesn't feel cramped to me. The string spacing at the saddle is 2-3/16”; 25.5 scale.

The highly figured "waterfall" mahogany back and sides are stunning, as are the Brazilian rosewood rosette, body binding, and headplate. The top is a nicely grained Adirondack with nice golden color. And the tone... oh, man.

Brand new, John's guitars start at about $6k, so at this price for someone who cares about incredible tone and playability, this is a rare find. This is truly one of the best acoustic guitars I've ever played.

Comes in a Cedar Creek Geib-style case in very good condition, with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. *SOLD THANK YOU AGF!* shipped and PayPal'd-- a rare guitar with an even rarer price.

Please email me, pwalker3 [at] gmail.com, as I don't always check my AGF messages. Thanks. Peter

Last edited by Peterw; 11-30-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Pending sale
Old 11-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I believe I played this one last year at a local Forum members house. This is a spectacular instrument!!! I’m trying to sell a guitar as well and gotta say that this is the best deal on the Forum!!! Someone is going to get a heckuva a guitar.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 11-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, Sevenpalms. Yes, I think if you could do some sort of tone-per-dollar calculation this might indeed be the best deal anywhere. It's a truly amazing guitar.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Bump

I am pretty sure I owned this guitar. It is fantastic. I may need to buy it back :-)
Santa Cruz F -E. Paul
Michael Kelly Archtop - E. Paul
John How
Lowden F10c
Martin 000-28MEC, 000-42MEC, 00-18G, D-35
Fairbanks F-20 Nick Lucas - R. Shindell
Taylor BTO TF
Epiphone Sheraton - Keb Mo
Webber MJ
C Fox Napa
Edmonds 12 Fret
Fender MIM Strat