The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Default Can any of you Takamine pros tell me about my find?

I just picked up a Takamine F360s in natural. I can tell it’s from the 70s. Not sure if the serial numbers are as simple as it starting with the year, but the serial which is stamped on the neck block starts with 73. The guitar is in basically pristine condition. Aside from the action being VERY high and difficult to play, until I bring it in and see what we can do, I really like the feel and look. I hear they are Martin D28 clones. Is this a higher end Takamine model? Anyone have experience with one? Can anyone confirm its a 1973? From some research I’ve done, it looks like they started to make them in 1975. I may be wrong, so that’s what makes me confused about it possible being a 1973. The guy locally had it listed for $75 and kept getting offers, we ended up on $120. Hoping I didn’t take a hit there. I think I’m really going to love the feel after a good set up. Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Do we have any Takamine nuts here to help me out?

Just picked up a Takamine F360s. Feels like An amazing guitar, but can’t seem to figure out about this particular one. From what it seems they didn’t start selling these in the states until 1975. I also see that the serial on the neckblocks first 2 numbers dates the guitar. This guitar starts with 73. So I’m assuming 1973. Here where I’m having some issues. A lot of them have stickers on the neck block for serial and most have the model F360s on the spine inside of the guitar. This one only has a label. The tuning machines are gold, which I don’t see with others, unless they were later changed on this guitar and this doesn’t seem to have a trus rod access on the neck block like most other I see. Can anyone confirm that they at one point made this model with all of these quirks? Really love the sound and feel of the guitar otherwise. Thanks again. Here’s a link to some photos.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WxUH8Si
Old 03-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Pros- lawsuit Tak so it should sound good. Solid Spruce top versus the lam non-S version.

Cons- many Taks of this era now need necks reset.

Not sure any questions been really answered but label is not unusual for this exact model. Im sure theres others here that know much more.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Takamine was founded in 1962. Steel-string production started around 1969. How many were exported of the early production is not known, but they began to trade internationally in 1975.

Takamine appear to have used only two serial number types. The first two digits are either the year of production or the number of years since Takamine was founded. It can’t be the latter of these, so presumably it is from 1973.

All the early Takamine’s are Martin clones (Martin we’re considering using them to build what became the Sigma range, until Kaman/Ovation bought the distribution company that was acting as a sort of intermediary).

Of course, until late 90’s, with the introduction of the Solid Solids series, all Takamine’s were laminate back and sides (so not really ever D28 clones!).

Unless anyone knows better.

Regards,
Clive.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM

if you have a playable guitar for 120 smac-aroos that you like, you did good -
anything new that sounds halfway decent typically starts around 5-7 hundred -
so you have no need to worry !
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM

The S after the model number indicates a solid spruce top, which is a good thing. As mentioned above, it will have laminate back and sides. The F360 was inspired by the Martin D-28 and certainly looks like one but I wouldn't call it a clone. When setup properly, they are pretty decent guitars that can take a lot of abuse. Perfect for playing rowdy bars

Typically they sell for $400-500 in playable condition so if your luthier can get it into shape for less, you got yourself a good deal.

Lastly, yes, the serial number is from 1973.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:04 PM

I have owned the same model since I bought it in 1978, new, for $200. If your action is quite high, then your guitar may suffer from what mine has suffered:
A gradually lifting neck and/or a gradually sinking body. Right now, mine is fine, but there is very little saddle left after doing what has been needed to keep it playable. Forget about a neck reset, though, as most luthiers will not attempt this on a Takamine.

Mine sounds very good, looks good, too. That's why I have kept it.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

There are a few on Reverb right now and a couple show photos of month/date/year rubber stamped on the side of one of the braces just inside the sound hole. They're from late 70's but maybe yours has a similar date stamp....?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
takamine