The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Default Is it okay to NOT HUMIDIFY your guitar in humid states?

Hi AGFers,

I have been living in the midwest where it gets bone dry especially during winter.
So far I always have a hygrometer in the case and moniter the humdity level to keep it at 45-55% level.

And I am about to move to a humid city soon (ie. san francisco, miami).
Is it okay if I not humidify my guitar at these places? For example, since San Francisco has average humdity level of over 75%, maybe I dont have to worry about humidifying it? Or, since it gets too humid, should I dehumidify it somehow to keep at constant 45-55% level?

Thanks brothers and sisters!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 AM

45-55 is the ideal level. Humidify/dehumidify
to try to keep it at that point. thats why you
have the hygrometer. the level in my liv room
right now is 20% so i am struggling.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

You won't have to humidify. But you will probably have to de-humidify. Over humidified guitars sound like crap.

In our high humidity episode the past August, September and October, my guitars all got very stuffy and sounded awful. I put in their cases with silca packs and the dried out and sounded beautiful again.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
You won't have to humidify. But you will probably have to de-humidify. Over humidified guitars sound like crap.

In our high humidity episode the past August, September and October, my guitars all got very stuffy and sounded awful. I put in their cases with silca packs and the dried out and sounded beautiful again.

Thank you! Question though.
Is it expected of us to keep checking the humidity after putting silica pack, until it reaches around 45-55%, and then remove it?
It just sounds like a hassle... Are there any products out there, that keeps the guitar at a constant humidity level both in humid and dry regions? (that has both humidifying and dehumidifying functions?)
Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I Florida, a/c keeps things pretty constant. I neither humidify or dehumidfy. My guitars are kept in an air conditioned environment, same as the factory they came from, and the store they were sold from.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Yes, you’d need to regularly check and I agree it’s a hassle.

For me, keeping the humidity up in the winter is harder than lowering it in the summer.

I bit the bullet a few years back and got a whole house humidifier. It keeps the house pretty close to 50% and does more than just keep the guitars humidified. No more static electric shock and because the air is humid, I don’t need to keep the temp as high to make it feel warm.

In the summer, the air conditioning and dehumidifiers keep the humidity down, but I’m considering a whole house dehumidifier as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 AM

D'Addario Humidipaks are designed to keep a constant 45% humidity level, so they also remove excess moisture from the guitar in a humid environment, as well as the usual moisture replenishment in a dry winter or desert environment.

I like them for this dual action functionality, since summers in Georgia are typically hot & very humid.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I live in northern California, not far from the coast. I am fortunate in that I do not usually do anything to humidify or de-humidify but I do keep my guitars in their cases when I am not playing them. In the wettest times the humidity in my home can get as high as 65% and in dry times as low as 32%. But my case hygrometers show that in that environment it only fluctuates between about 47% to 55%.

So it largely depends on where you live, how much the relative humidity fluctuates and for how long it stays in the less than optimum range.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I Florida, a/c keeps things pretty constant. I neither humidify or dehumidfy. My guitars are kept in an air conditioned environment, same as the factory they came from, and the store they were sold from.
I'd be careful with that. I've lived in sourthern Florida for 20 years and the AC keeps the humidity around 40 to 50% too, but I still humidify a bit. You might think it's not needed, but it definitely is...

Two stories to share. I bought a cheap all wood uke for about $80 a few years ago. Never humidified it because it was cheap. Now, it has completely dried out, the body is sunk in and its frets are protruding. I'm trying to re-humidfy it.

You might think that's because it's cheap and made in a poor environment. Well, I have a Guild JF30-12 made in Westerly. I also didn't humidify that much since it's laminate back and sides. Well, it has also dried out. The frets are really protruding from it and it sucks because that guitar is great. I'm now vigilant with it and hopefully it bounces back.

So, with the AC running, even if you think the humidity levels are ok, I would still humidify a bit. Now, it took years for that to happen to my Guild, but it will happen if you don't humidify.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-10-2018, 11:40 AM

When I lived in the SF Bay Area, I did not think - or know - much about guitar humidifying. But I learned in an expensive hurry once we moved to Alaska (paid for repairing two different sound board cracks due to dryness on my Martin's). Keeping humidity in the good range was a real struggle there in the winter, but not really an issue during summers. Florida would likely be too humid unless you air condition during the warm months. If it is above 65% RH indoors, you might even need to dehumidify using silica gel desiccant packs.

Knowledge is power. Get a hygrometer and measure the RH inside the house. The RH outdoors on the weather report is almost irrelevant, unless you leave the windows open all the time. Guitars are OK from 40-60% RH, but sound better (to me) on the drier side. Just avoid extremes either way and rapid/repeated changes in particular.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I live in San Francisco. The humidity in my music room probably averages about 60 or maybe slightly above, but sometimes it'll hit the low 70s. None of my guitars sound even remotely like crap.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
D'Addario Humidipaks are designed to keep a constant 45% humidity level, so they also remove excess moisture from the guitar in a humid environment, as well as the usual moisture replenishment in a dry winter or desert environment.

I like them for this dual action functionality, since summers in Georgia are typically hot & very humid.
Thank you for the good info!

And I really appreciate everyone commenting to share your experience and knowledge!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'd be careful with that. I've lived in sourthern Florida for 20 years and the AC keeps the humidity around 40 to 50% too, but I still humidify a bit. You might think it's not needed, but it definitely is...

Two stories to share. I bought a cheap all wood uke for about $80 a few years ago. Never humidified it because it was cheap. Now, it has completely dried out, the body is sunk in and its frets are protruding. I'm trying to re-humidfy it.

You might think that's because it's cheap and made in a poor environment. Well, I have a Guild JF30-12 made in Westerly. I also didn't humidify that much since it's laminate back and sides. Well, it has also dried out. The frets are really protruding from it and it sucks because that guitar is great. I'm now vigilant with it and hopefully it bounces back.

So, with the AC running, even if you think the humidity levels are ok, I would still humidify a bit. Now, it took years for that to happen to my Guild, but it will happen if you don't humidify.
Your' Guild JF30-12 has solid sides. I own one if these too. Great 12 string.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Your' Guild JF30-12 has solid sides. I own one if these too. Great 12 string.
That's correct. Yup, great guitar.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
I live in San Francisco. The humidity in my music room probably averages about 60 or maybe slightly above, but sometimes it'll hit the low 70s. None of my guitars sound even remotely like crap.
Same here, I’ve lived in the SF Bay Area my whole life and have never had an issue with humidity. I leave my Goodall and Larrivee JCL out on stands, no problems at all.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity