The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I don't think a $240 upcharge (street) over the standard D-18 is too bad? As always Spoon...your review was great!
I think the upcharge is a little heavy. There are builders, one in particular who upcharge $100 list for an Addy top. But hey, it's what's on that headstock.
Nice guitar though.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 AM

The market determines the price.

If people are willing to pay it, that's what the price will be. If buyers think the product is not worth the price they won't buy it and the manufacturer will adjust accordingly. Maybe lower the price, maybe change the specs, maybe just drop the product completely.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
The market determines the price.

If people are willing to pay it, that's what the price will be. If buyers think the product is not worth the price they won't buy it and the manufacturer will adjust accordingly. Maybe lower the price, maybe change the specs, maybe just drop the product completely.
The market does determine the price and you are correct, if people are willing to pay it, they will. My reference was strictly to the upcharge for the topwood and that it was considerably higher than some builders, that's all.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The market does determine the price and you are correct, if people are willing to pay it, they will. My reference was strictly to the upcharge for the topwood and that it was considerably higher than some builders, that's all.
My reply was not to you specifically but to those who wondered why the American wood guitar was priced higher than a D-18.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I think the upcharge is a little heavy. There are builders, one in particular who upcharge $100 list for an Addy top. But hey, it's what's on that headstock.
Nice guitar though.
A $100 upcharge for an Adirondack top would be a steal IMO. I've seen it listed as an option on some builder's websites from maybe $250-$300? But I believe there's actually more at play in the way Martin has priced this particular model. Limited Edition runs are usually more desirable (or maybe not depending?) and in smaller numbers production wise so that would figure in.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
My reply was not to you specifically but to those who wondered why the American wood guitar was priced higher than a D-18.

Ok,I understand. I also discovered the upcharge for any Addy vs. Spruce can be as low as $300 at list and that Addy had to be shipped from America to an overseas builder.
From there the spread depends on how each of the two guitars are discounted at the point of sale. Obviously, if the Martin top is of the highest grade cosmetically that would account for a higher upcharge and that just may be the case.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Great job as always Spoon. Thanks. Just shows that a great builder can build out of most good woods and get great results. Always helps to be showcased by a great player as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 AM

I doubt anyone at Martin thinks this is going to replace or supplant, venerable guitars like the the D-18 or D-28, for someone looking to buy one of those.

This guitar is not meant to attract the youth Market (they have tones of those kind of guitars below Style 18) and they do not need to offer it for less than the 18 or 28, because it will sell at the price it has right now.

But I do think some people may walk into a store thinking they are going to buy a D-18 and end up buying a Model America 1 if they are going entirely on tone and dynamics.

No matter how good it is, there will always be those who dismiss such a guitar because it isn't made from the traditional woods. Others will be drawn to it specifically because they aren't the traditional woods. Or because of they are American woods.

I also doubt any luthier charging $100 for Adirondack is also having their guitars sold commonly at 40% off the sticker price. And if they did, it is because they need to keep their prices low enough to attract buyers. Martin stopped needing to that about 1834.

But yes, today's Martin charges more for Waverlys or other upgrades than if you bought your own Waverlys and installed them yourself. They have to pay for their workforce and insurance and other costs of running a business, and still have a profitable transaction.

And no one else has the wood seasoned in Martin's acclimation room.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Spoon and I are eyeing the calendar, hopeful to get a full-length TSP comparison very soon. For now, I've briefly mashed 'em up my way, and linked to the video in my Marketplace thread for anyone interested.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Make it with a 1-11/16" nut/2-1/8" bridge and I'll buy one tomorrow...
Sorry, don't mean to get the thread off-topic, but to benefit a relative newbie, could you explain why? Is a 1-11/16 nut easier to play because it's slightly narrower than the 1-3/4? Does 1/16 of an inch really make much difference?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
Making an all-domestic guitar cheaper?

, like all those import guitars flooding the under $1K market,

To play devils advocate I would like to argue that the quality of these sub $1K imports have never been better in the history of mankind. Inflation adjusted of course. IMHO, YMMV, void where prohibited, etc.

I wood love an oak guitar. Dont care if its from Martin or Gibson so long as the oak is local farmed organic free range trees.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Malkin View Post
Sorry, don't mean to get the thread off-topic, but to benefit a relative newbie, could you explain why? Is a 1-11/16 nut easier to play because it's slightly narrower than the 1-3/4? Does 1/16 of an inch really make much difference?
I won't speak for anyone else, but I deal with a large number of guitarists and it just comes down to personal preference. 1/16" does make enough of a difference to enough people. hth ymmv
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adirondack, martin, model america 1, sycamore