The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Default Humidity Warning

Be careful when you humidify a guitar, in a guitar case, and aren't checking the humidity level!!! I had a rather expensive Martin guitar with nitrocellulose lacquer that I left in a case with a sponge-type humidifier. I checked the humidifier about two or three times a week and usually the sponge was dry, so, I added more water. When I took the guitar out of the case, at the end of about 3 months, the lacquer had "surface peeled" (or whatever you call it) in about 4 places on the back and sides. I had these areas "professionally repaired" and they peeled again, so, I finally sold the guitar, at a greatly reduced price, to someone who didn't mind the damage. I ruined this guitar with too much water!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:46 PM

Man ! you guys need to get over your worries about humidity! In most places it shouldn't even be a concern! Do you all have any idea how many Martin guitars have been lugged across the USA with nothing but a case for protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Here, here!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:04 PM

Good intentions.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
Man ! you guys need to get over your worries about humidity! In most places it shouldn't even be a concern! Do you all have any idea how many Martin guitars have been lugged across the USA with nothing but a case for protection?

Good point, however, I have seen guitars that have cracked from being too dry.
Hot water heating in an apartment, which is what I have, is particularly bad for drying out the air.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post

Seriously? Any idea how quickly (as in less than 2 days) a guitar can crack when exposed to our standard single digit humidity here in Phoenix?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Guest 1928

Guitars can certainly suffer from being too dry, but many are also damaged by overly aggressive humidification.

BTW, with rare exceptions, the type of heating used has virtually no affect on indoor humidity. The fact that the cold/dry winter air is heated causes the relative humidity to drop.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Guitars can certainly suffer from being too dry, but many are also damaged by overly aggressive humidification.

BTW, with rare exceptions, the type of heating used has virtually no affect on indoor humidity. The fact that the cold/dry winter air is heated causes the relative humidity to drop.
Most of the US population that has (obviously) cold winters don't have dry air; agreed that the type of heating used doesn't matter
Old 10-30-2016, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Here in Iowa we have humid summers and dry winters and in 50 years I have never had a problem. I'm just saying.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-30-2016, 04:15 AM

Yes, you can over humidify a guitar.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-30-2016, 04:55 AM

Guitars are not sponges, they don't suck up water. I think the idea is to stop them from drying not moisturizing them.
My guess is there's something going on with the case. If you were having to wet the sponge 3 times a week and it was the finish that was damaged it seems odd. I would suspect neck issues not finish issues with over humidification.
I do find the humidification concerns a little over the top and funny https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchausen_syndrome but ignoring humidification leads to regret threads.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 10-30-2016, 07:19 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
Most of the US population that has (obviously) cold winters don't have dry air; agreed that the type of heating used doesn't matter
I meant dry in terms of moisture content, or absolute humidity, but bringing that term in tends to confuse the discussion. The main point is that cold winter outdoor air contains less moisture than would be found in warmer seasons, such that when the air is warmed to human comfort levels the relative humidity drops even though no water is removed in that process. That is why the type of heating doesn't matter. It is the act of warming the air that lowers the relative humidity.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:33 AM

I live in FL. I monitor the humidity in the house, it generally ranges from 40-55% when the AC is running and that's most of the time. What the weather man calls a cool "dry" day is highs in the 60's with 50% humidity.

I've given up even worrying about the guitars and the humidity levels and just enjoy them for what they are during the time God gives me to enjoy them.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 10-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
... When I took the guitar out of the case, at the end of about 3 months, the lacquer had "surface peeled" (or whatever you call it) in about 4 places on the back and sides. I had these areas "professionally repaired" and they peeled again,....
I've lived in high-humidity areas (raised in Washington DC) much of my life and there are a few million people living in Florida and other states with humidity much higher than a guitar case with enclosed sponge - who never had an issue like you describe. Additionally, after repair your problem reemerged. I doubt seriously that the issue was sponge/humidity related. I've "sponge humidified" my guitars for decades and have never seen case humidity exceed 67% which is far less than any U.S. state most of the time.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The main point is that cold winter outdoor air contains less moisture than would be found in warmer seasons
Again, possibly if you live way up north. Cold winter air in many places contains more moisture than hot dry summer air.

Now that it is winter/fall, the humidity is up to the mid 20s here.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidifier, humidity, nitrocellulose lacquer, water