The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 AM

Question:
Is the X20 body that much smaller than the Rainsong H DR1000? Or to put it another way - is the X20 going to be relatively soft by comparison?

Observation:
I guess it depends on what one's mission is. Mine is to play well, but not necessarily to jam or play publicly. If I were to do a gig, I'd jam a mike in front of the guitar and have done with it. Most of my playing is on the back porch. I reckon anything with a great action and a sweet tone would do. Does Rainsong customise their instruments, or does one have to settle on one of their models?

Duncan

Last edited by rtfm; 07-15-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
Question:
Is the X20 body that much smaller than the Rainsong H DR1000?

Duncan
It's about the same size as the Rainsong Shorty. But many owners of the X20 have written they are impressed with the loudness it produces beyond it's size.

It's still not going to match a dred in "loudness"--it's simply smaller. But you described in great detail how you intend to play the guitar and it seems like the Emerald X20 is a great fit. You play Bluegrass style with a pick--but you're NOT playing in a room with a bunch of other similar players.

If you need to play "unplugged" and in the middle of a group of people hitting hard with picks on a bunch of dreds or near dreds, then you simply need a really big guitar. Or, you can simply plug in the X20 to a small portable amp for those rare group occasions.

The way you described your needs, neither the large Rainsong or CA is a match, IMO.
Neither have the full range of ergonomic features that Emerald does, the transparent color selections for coating, the unique offset sound hole, etc. Emerald also has stainless frets. CA might (not sure), but Rainsong certainly does not and does not customize. Emerald is king is this regard.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Guest 928

Projection has been one of my big concerns in carbon fiber nylon string guitars. Until recently my assessments of volume were more-or-less intuitive, i.e., based on my hearing. Now, in order to make comparisons I use a decibel meter. For example, I just recently compared my RS Parlor nylon with a classical Ramirez--the Parlor was an even match. Tone remains a personal, intuitive, and often learned, variable. In my estimation the Parlor had better tonal qualities; lush like the Ramirez but with greater clarity.

When CF instruments started, wooden instruments were the model of desired sound. I suspect that within the foreseeable future CF instruments may become the model for desired sound.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Having some Bluegrass experience, Ted is right on with this. I play a Jam once a month and there are several pickers that show up with Martin 0 styles / parlor style guitars, and they are pretty much just white noise compared to the Martin, Taylor Dreds, and of course my Rainsong H DR1000.
It's like wearing a 3 piece suit to a Square Dance. You can do it, but it's not the best idea.
Plus one, Vance. I don't play out, but did take some Bluegrass classes for fun a few years ago, and found the power, and headroom of my Martin Dreadnought came in mighty handy.

As far as CF options, besides the Legacy Bluegrass mentioned already, there was another CF guitar designed specifically for Bluegrass, the Rainsong Bluegrass model. This was an all unidirectional short scale 12-Fret dreadnought. Given all the options Rainsong has, there is no reason for a dedicated Bluegrass model so it was dropped, but not before I fell in love with the Rainsong 12-Fret short scale Dreadnought combo, so I asked Rainsong to build me a BI-DR1100NS, which is a short scale, 12-Fret dreadnought with a Black Ice soundboard. This guitar can do it all, from finger style to Bluegrass, and anything in between without skipping a beat. This guitar pretty much lives in the back of my SUV. It's the guitar on the cover our Rainsong landing page.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:00 AM

Hi Duncan,

Here's another vote for the X20. It would be a great fit for the type of playing that you describe -- I use mine for almost the same purpose. I take lessons from a local bluegrass luminary, and he is very impressed with it. The first time he played it he commented on how nice the action is and that it "has plenty of volume." It holds up nicely in a small ensemble (another couple of guitars, perhaps a fiddle).

Another big plus for me is that it's much more comfortable to play than a dread, especially with the beveled arm rest and other contours. It has a pretty deep body (deeper than the Rainsong shorty), and that perhaps helps with the volume and bass. Not to mention it's just an incredibly cool guitar, and I'm also a big fan of Alistair's willingness and ability to make stunning custom instruments.

Best of luck in the search!

-SK
Old 04-12-2018, 05:23 PM

So after 3 years from starting this thread, How are you guy's feeling about Fanned Frets on a X20?

I'm trying out some due diligence for my X20 Ruby Cross order on fanned frets. I dabble some in finger picking, flat picking and bluegrass. I've never tried fan frets, but can see the appeal.

Edit: I also go drop D once in while. I'm mainly trying to figure it out $ wise.

Last edited by jwellsy; 04-12-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
So after 3 years from starting this thread, How are you guy's feeling about Fanned Frets on a X20?

I'm trying out some due diligence for my X20 Ruby Cross order on fanned frets. I dabble some in finger picking, flat picking and bluegrass. I've never tried fan frets, but can see the appeal.

Edit: I also go drop D once in while. I'm mainly trying to figure it out $ wise.

This is like Throw Back Thursday.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
This is like Throw Back Thursday.
Does that mean fanned frets are soooo last week?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 AM

I have never played a fan fret, but the "coolness" factor is too great to ignore!

Also the pinless bridge that Alistair has produced is AWESOME...(but the $ factor might be daunting)

Finally...If you ever decide to sell the Ruby Cross...Have you considered the "bidding war" that would go on here? ARMEGEDON! Eeekkk!!! lol
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Finally...If you ever decide to sell the Ruby Cross...Have you considered the "bidding war" that would go on here?
Yeah, that's what makes the fanned frets option viable $ wise. The cooler the Ruby Cross turns out, the more it should hold its value. If fan frets will give it more bass and easier to play pinky highs, then it should be more fun to play, which should make it hold value even more.

If I do get fan frets for the Ruby Cross, I doubt I'd ever lose much or any money from the investment.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Yeah, that's what makes the fanned frets option viable $ wise. The cooler the Ruby Cross turns out, the more it should hold its value. If fan frets will give it more bass and easier to play pinky highs, then it should be more fun to play, which should make it hold value even more.

If I do get fan frets for the Ruby Cross, I doubt I'd ever lose much or any money from the investment.
What is this "I doubt I'd ever lose much or any money from the investment" you speak of? That special woody is going to be a "lifetime keeper," for sure!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
What is this "I doubt I'd ever lose much or any money from the investment" you speak of? That special woody is going to be a "lifetime keeper," for sure!
Yeah, for retirement I'm going to have an X20 Woody, a Martin D35 and a Yamaha silent guitar for when people yell at me to shut up I plan on starting to downsize the guitarsenal when the X20 gets here.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I have never played a fan fret, but the "coolness" factor is too great to ignore!

Also the pinless bridge that Alistair has produced is AWESOME...(but the $ factor might be daunting)

Finally...If you ever decide to sell the Ruby Cross...Have you considered the "bidding war" that would go on here? ARMEGEDON! Eeekkk!!! lol
YOUAREAGEDON silly and trying to start something .
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
YOUAREAGEDON silly and trying to start something .
Hmmm...Then am I a "troll" or a "trollop"? lol...ARMEGADON kinda confused here Kramster...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Hmmm....ARMEGADON kinda confused here Kramster...

Me too.........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
bluegrass, fan fret, flat picking