The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-14-2021, 03:55 PM

Default Anyone relocated out-of-state lately?

My wife and I are looking at moving out of our current (and lifelong) state of residence. We've just had eee-nough. Which all begs the question, where do we go? I can assure you it won't be to Oregon or California, where we'll encounter more of the same. It's very early in the process, but Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and Nevada are early contenders. Idaho and Montana would be too but we're looking for warmer/dryer winter weather, better for riding motorcycles and stuff.

Just wondering if anyone's gone through this process lately and if you found your paradise, or something close to it. I won't bother you with my criteria; I'm sure we all have our own unique list of wants/desires. It's a heck of a spreadsheet to throw all the factors together and weigh them out, that's for sure...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-14-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:28 PM

Default Anyone relocated out-of-state lately?

I’ve lived in Utah almost 40 years. I like it. My wife is from New York and misses it terribly but with all that is happening she is grateful we are here in Utah. It’s fairly quiet. Together we have family in 14 states and there are problems everywhere. All of the states you named can cause BIG problems with your guitars if not monitored very carefully.
I wish you well, I’m sure it isn’t easy but make it fun!

Keep us posted where you end up! Maybe we’ll be neighbors!
Old 04-14-2021, 04:32 PM

My Wife and I are considering a move, hopefully our last, in the next 5 or so years.

We want to be on/near the water. Still, moving, ocean... Doesn't matter.

Or, we want to be more in the Mountains than we are. We currently are in toes of the Cascade Foothils. I don't consider it high enough for that, but folks around here do

One thing we are considering is proximity to real Medical care as we age. We used to think about easy access to airports, but you know. The world has changed in that regard. We're thinking about making our everyday relatively awesome and inspiring, so we don't feel the need to travel. Though my Wife still has what I will call a weird "entitlement" to travel. Me? I never lose sight of all the hassle involved...
Old 04-14-2021, 05:55 PM

I’m a lifelong Mass resident considering moving to New Hampshire.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:06 PM

Nope, tried other states but it’s hard to think of a place I’d rather be than Northern California. Seattle didn’t do it for me either. Made great friends and had a great career there but the weather was horrible. Colorado was great, but not the same. No place fits my lifestyle like this.

Utah sounds like a good fit for the climate you’re looking for. Nice place to visit and a lot of nice folks but you couldn’t pay me to deal with the crazy there.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:33 PM

Nearly 1000 people move to Florida per day, including us in 2016 (from Missouri). It's hot, there's bugs, gators and Florida Man but we still love it and are super happy we made the move.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:09 PM

Of the places you mention, I think Nevada might be worth a second look. Great low tax state. Lots of space. One of my ex-girlfriends loved Henderson (suburb of Vegas), and my stepson spent about 10 years in Vegas, had some fine adventures there, and met a wide variety of people, some of whom he stays in contact with.

I lived in Utah. A pretty state, but you might not like the Mormon influence. Don’t get me wrong: on the whole, they are fine people. But if you aren’t Mormon or a transplanted Californian, it can be hard to develop a circle of friends.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:32 PM

Retiring in a few years, likely leaving North Dakota for Minnesota—looking for a warmer climate!!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

There is no Utopian State.I live in Northeastern California. Four seasons, great fishing and decent weather. I'm in a small town in the forest that life is actually fun and bearable. If I lived in MN or NY I might go insane.

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-14-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 PM

I’m with you!
We are hoping to get out of No. CA as soon as possible.
We have looked at Idaho, Texas, and Tennessee.
Right now TN is at the too of our list.
Our son will be a freshman next, so may wait for him to graduate.

Let us know where you end up!
Scott
Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 PM

We're also looking to get out of our current digs ASAP for a variety of reasons: many similar to the OP, some specific to the home of Mob Wives/"Attitude Capital of the Universe." Got our eye on a couple off-the-popular-radar places south of the Mason-Dixon Line: small-town/semi-rural lifestyle, warmer weather, low COL/taxes, traditional Southern culture - can't get more specific right now, let's see how things play out...
Old 04-14-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckroast View Post
Nearly 1000 people move to Florida per day, including us in 2016 (from Missouri). It's hot, there's bugs, gators and Florida Man but we still love it and are super happy we made the move.
We too moved to Florida in 2016. We moved because it was one of the few places my wife's asthma didn't cause her issues. Let's just say after four years,she absolutely loves it here. No more sinus infections, steroid shots,and antibiotics. She feels better now than she can ever remember. All of that makes the move worthwhile, and even though I don't care for it here,I'd do it again for her.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Been a life long resident or NYC, first 13 years in Coney Island, Brooklyn, then for the next 40 years in the East Village (alphabet city). In my mid 20s to mid 30s I traveled and lived in loads of places, from San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, LA, to Baltimore, but always kept my place in the lower East side of NYC. In 2016, while on vacation in the Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina, we found out we were with child. Spent the rest of that vacation house hunting and left NYC on July 4th 2017. My daughter was born in August 2017. I’m about 25 minutes west of Asheville, which is a fantastic music town. And we went from boom boxes, fire engine sirens and ambulances to cows, chicken, goats and the great Smokey Mountains. I was filled with anxiety when it came to letting go of my (huge, rent controlled) Pad in NYC but it was the best move I could have made for where I/we were at this time in my/our life.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-14-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

We left NY in the late 80s for a job opportunity in the South. It turned out to be a great place to work, to raise our kids, to play music and now, to retire. We return from time to time for family and friends, but aside from the pizza we don’t miss NY at all.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:34 AM

When I retired, we moved to New England at my wife's insistence because she wanted to return back home where people are "normal". After six months, she concluded that the home she remembered no longer existed and wanted to move back to where we started. In the middle of a housing recession. We went thru four houses and an astonishing amount of stress and expense before she was finally satisfied. We came within about 10 seconds of divorce along the way. I would not be anxious to repeat this experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic