The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-12-2021, 07:13 PM

Default The new LINE 6 RELAY G10TII

I just saw a new LINE 6 RELAY G10TII comes out at Sweetwater. Anyone know the difference comparing with the original Line 6 Relay G10?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-12-2021, 07:31 PM

I gigged with a G10, and later with a G10-S for a couple of years and never had an issue, with both electric and acoustic. I haven't done much since covid, but when it picks back up again, I doubt I'll buy the new one until the old ones crap out. We were doing 4 set nights on a regular basis. I'd plug it in the base during breaks, but battery life was never an issue. Heck, I remember gigs where I forgot to charge it the day before and it was still fine for the whole night.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I have a couple of the G10 units - older, probably first generation ones. The USB connection they used for both power and updates failed pretty early on, and Line 6 did nothing to offer a solution for their terrible understanding of design and use. I followed some on-line instruction on how to bypass the (now broken) mini-usb connections and installed standard 9v plug ins, and they basically work fine now, and I’ll keep using them until they fail completely. But after that experience, I won’t buy anything Line 6 again.

I think the real change with these new units is some new fusing and some modified software - they had problems with some of the older ones (fire hazards), and while they’ve offered an update, I still would prefer any of the far less expensive wireless units available - you can buy three or 4 sets for what Line 6 wants for one transmitter -
Old 04-12-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I have a couple of the G10 units - older, probably first generation ones. The USB connection they used for both power and updates failed pretty early on, and Line 6 did nothing to offer a solution for their terrible understanding of design and use. -
Yea, thats true. But remember it was released as a home/amateur product. It was never intended for professional use, and was advertised as such. They recommended other products for professional use. They realized folks wanted something more robust and brought out the G10-S. It solved all the problems. So I don't think you can throw them under the bus for that.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Home / Amatuer? Well - that was their line later, but even they’ve admitted in forums that it was a bad design, and changed the jack reinforcement substantially - but its still pretty poor. And all it would have taken was a trade-in option to buy any of the new, better base units and preserve the investment in the transmitter - but anyway - that doesn’t address issues with the battery charging risk, or failure to work with some pickup types, or even the cost compared to other systems that are ¼ to ½ the price that are “home use” but gig and hold up quite well and so far show none of the above issues. And friends have had very similar kinds of issues trying to get their Line 6 amps fixed too -

I have 2 - they work - I will continue to use them til I can’t anymore, but I wouldn’t recommend the product or line to anyone putting their money down for the first time - wouldn’t stop anyone, but wouldn’t recommend -
Old 04-13-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Home / Amatuer? Well - that was their line later, but even they’ve admitted in forums that it was a bad design, and changed the jack reinforcement substantially - but its still pretty poor. And all it would have taken was a trade-in option to buy any of the new, better base units and preserve the investment in the transmitter - but anyway - that doesn’t address issues with the battery charging risk, or failure to work with some pickup types, or even the cost compared to other systems that are ¼ to ½ the price that are “home use” but gig and hold up quite well and so far show none of the above issues. And friends have had very similar kinds of issues trying to get their Line 6 amps fixed too -

I have 2 - they work - I will continue to use them til I can’t anymore, but I wouldn’t recommend the product or line to anyone putting their money down for the first time - wouldn’t stop anyone, but wouldn’t recommend -
I guess they should improve the battery charging problem in version 2, but I couldn't find any information about it. Also, will this version support active pickup system too?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-13-2021, 12:07 PM

Basically, it looks like Line 6 are just trying to release a version that doesn’t have the charging issue and are making it sound like it’s updated and better. I don’t see much improvements to warrant an upgrade. I never updated my old one and never had charging issues so I will just leave it be.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:01 PM

Line 6 was indicated some recall issues with their units. Perhaps some had battery issues? I like my G10 which I put on the electric pedal board. It worked well even for a few gigs. But, it's probably not road worthy for heavy use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification