The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2021, 03:51 PM

Question Gibson 50s LG-2 2020

I just got this guitar today and I’m stoked about it. I have a Martin HD28 and a Rainsong. So this is a special addition to my guitars!

I am a hard strummer (I try not to be) and I’m wondering what particular strings I should consider for this guitar. I usually prefer mediums but not sure if this guitar “needs” something different. I’d certainly prefer to stick with what I’m used to.

Also, I’ve never been particular about strings. I usually just use D'addario ej17 phosphor bronze medium (.13-.056). I don’t prefer Elixir strings.

Thanks in advance for your input! JB
Old 04-08-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Check out Curt Mangan strings, specifically the med-light set (12-54). They are my favorite for LG-2 type guitars. Not sure what it is, I just have never found better strings for a Gibson than Mangan's.

https://www.curtmangan.com/12-54-med...osphor-bronze/
Old 04-09-2021, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I really think that a 50s LG2 would suit my playing style and singing perfectly. There's no way I can afford one, so I'm very envious!

If I ever did get one then I would start with Rotosound Jumbo King 12-54 strings.

I don’t suppose there is any chance of you posting some photos?

And, if possible, could you measure the E to e, centre to centre, string spacing at the nut? I can't find that info anywhere? I expect it is around 37mm?

Robin

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:31 AM

I think lg-2s are well served by phosphor bronze lights, 12’s.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:37 AM

My LG-2 (1942 Historic series) really likes Retro lights, but I've also had success with GHS vintage bronze. I've got a few more sets lined up when these Retros finally die.

Mines loves it when I dig in while strumming! The tone just gets deeper and more powerful, which brings me much joy.

Enjoy yours!
scott
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Oh, I really think that a 50s LG2 would suit my playing style and singing perfectly. There's no way I can afford one, so I'm very envious!

If I ever did get one then I would start with Rotosound Jumbo King 12-54 strings.

I don’t suppose there is any chance of you posting some photos?

And, if possible, could you measure the E to e, centre to centre, string spacing at the nut? I can't find that info anywhere? I expect it is around 37mm?

Robin
I believe that the OP is referring to a reissue that Gibson started building this year. I recently read a review on it in Acoustic Guitar. (pause while the author trundles back to the bathroom and retrieves that magazine from the stack there) Says the nut 1.72," if that helps.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorris View Post
I just got this guitar today and I’m stoked about it. I have a Martin HD28 and a Rainsong. So this is a special addition to my guitars!

I am a hard strummer (I try not to be) and I’m wondering what particular strings I should consider for this guitar. I usually prefer mediums but not sure if this guitar “needs” something different. I’d certainly prefer to stick with what I’m used to.

Also, I’ve never been particular about strings. I usually just use D'addario ej17 phosphor bronze medium (.13-.056). I don’t prefer Elixir strings.

Thanks in advance for your input! JB
While there is always a chance of overdriving the top, unless Gibson says differently there is probably no harm in auditioning some mediums. You might also try something like the John Pearse New Mediums, a mix of medium and light gauges. I use light gauges, but have a pretty light hand. I like Phosphor Bronze on my old LG2.

OMMV
Old 04-10-2021, 07:51 PM

Will definitely give these a try! Thank you for the input!
JB
Old 04-11-2021, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on that LG2!! I want one!! My J45 loved Monels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
2020, 50s, gibson, lg-2, strings