The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-12-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Bluegrass/Flatpicking Guitar Book

Hey everyone,

I've lurked on here from time-to-time, but this is my first post. I've recently taken an interest in learning Bluegrass/Flatpicking style guitar, and would like to use a physical book for my learning. I've seen recommendations for "Flatpicking Essentials" by Dan Miller, and am leaning towards this program.

For reference, I am not new to the guitar. I've been playing for 26 years, and consider myself to be very strong with my rhythm playing/strumming techniques. I'm also pretty accomplished in fingerpicking. As for lead guitar, I'd say I'm pretty good, but by no means amazing. I haven't gone as deep into music theory as I probably should have. I did take lessons for a couple years at the beginning- and built a decent foundation, but have spent the majority of my playing years learning by ear- which I would also say is one of my strengths.

So here are my questions, would Volume 1 be too rudimentary for my skill level, or would it still be worth starting at the beginning of the program? Or would I be better served jumping right into volumes 2 or 3? Of course, I'm open to other books as well if you have any better suggestions. However, I really don't want to rely on YouTube lessons.

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2020, 08:31 AM

If you are just getting started in bluegrass style guitar, by all means start with vol 1. You'll likely cruise through it pretty quickly, but it'll set the foundation.

Go ahead and buy volumes 2 & 3 while you're at it. And have fun!
Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
If you are just getting started in bluegrass style guitar, by all means start with vol 1. You'll likely cruise through it pretty quickly, but it'll set the foundation.

Go ahead and buy volumes 2 & 3 while you're at it. And have fun!
Thank you! I've also looked at "Mel Bay Complete Flatpicking Guitar" by Steve Kaufman. Would you be able to tell me how it compares to Dan Miller's program?
Old 11-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
Thank you! I've also looked at "Mel Bay Complete Flatpicking Guitar" by Steve Kaufman. Would you be able to tell me how it compares to Dan Miller's program?
Sure can, since I picked up a copy of that one at the used bookstore recently.

The Kaufman book is much more introductory level. For someone with your experience, I'd recommend the Flatpicking Essentials books.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Sure can, since I picked up a copy of that one at the used bookstore recently.

The Kaufman book is much more introductory level. For someone with your experience, I'd recommend the Flatpicking Essentials books.
Just what I wanted to hear, thank you!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:09 AM

I recommend this along with the Flat Pick Essentials, if you aren't familiar with scales. It starts with the G scale in the open position, 1 octave, and goes from there. There are good exercises in it. If you were a beginner, I would not recommend this at the same time as the Flat Pick Essentials Vol 1, etc.

https://www.flatpick.com/product_p/2537.htm

Last edited by loco gringo; 11-12-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I just want to put a word in for Artistworks and Bryan Sutton's flat picking guitar instruction. I know it's not the book you were thinking of but his course is really good and you get to do video exchanges with him. You send him in a video of what you're working on and he replies with a lot of good feedback and instruction. You are also able to look at other people VE's and learn a lot from them as well as the lessons in the curriculum. Around Christmas time Artist works usually has a half price sale on the year course, it's regularly $279 so that would be about $140 half price. Really it's a great place to learn.

As for books the flatpicking guitar books are great resources.

have fun,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 11-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Jack Tuttle's(Molly's dad) books are good
Old 11-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
I just want to put a word in for Artistworks and Bryan Sutton's flat picking guitar instruction. I know it's not the book you were thinking of but his course is really good and you get to do video exchanges with him. You send him in a video of what you're working on and he replies with a lot of good feedback and instruction. You are also able to look at other people VE's and learn a lot from them as well as the lessons in the curriculum. Around Christmas time Artist works usually has a half price sale on the year course, it's regularly $279 so that would be about $140 half price. Really it's a great place to learn.

As for books the flatpicking guitar books are great resources.

have fun,

Debbie
Thanks! I'll have to check him out.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Jack Tuttle's(Molly's dad) books are good
I'll have to check those out as well. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
bluegrass, book, flatpicking, lessons