The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Daddario Humidtrak Bluetooth sensor plus two way humidipak system working great for me.
This is what I use also - where I am on the Western Slope of the Rockies the RH struggles most times to get out of the single digits. Where you are in Tucson I'll bet the great majority of humidity you can dump in the air will just be absorbed into the atmosphere before it does directly benefit that Martin. Humidipaks ( I recharge mine) are a great tool to maintain that nice 40 to 50 percent humidity your guitar wants.

Paired together with the new Humiditrack might be ideal for you, and not too hard to Maintain and monitor.

I used to do the sponge Planet Wave things that you dangled down into the sound hole, but I found I needed to re-wet every 2 or 3 days. With the Humidipaks I get 2 or 3 weeks before they get hard and need to be replaced.

Where I am here, many summer days you can feel the moisture being sucked right out of you into our dry dry atmosphere . I've lived here 10 years, and I think I only remember sweating twice.

All that being said, I do run an Essix whole house humidifier in my 12X14 guitar room That is the only place I will let a guitar sit uncased overnight.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Winds and temp kicking up here in So Cal and the humidity in the house is 23%. My guitars are cruising at 45-50%.

I am 3 1/2 weeks into using the Humiditrak and Humidipaks and the packets are no where near needing replacement. I too used every sponge ever made and like Dan, I had to refresh every 2-3 days.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
In your climate, it would be silly - and unnecessary - to attempt 55%. Guitars are typically made in the 40 to 45% range. There is no need to keep the humidity above the value at which it was made.

40% will be just fine. 35% may also be fine and be far easier to maintain.
Oh, gotcha. I just got that number based on what Youtube videos/marketing ads I've seen.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
Charles beat me to it!

The Caliber is a very good digital hygrometer. When i used a testing kit with mine, it was right on the money. You can test yours with a kit or using the salt test.
Thank you so much for the salt test link.. I'll be doing that ASAP.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Daddario Humidtrak Bluetooth sensor plus two way humidipak system working great for me.
This system seems extremely appealing.. if it actually works. I think I'll start out with this and the Caliber, and test out if it's actually accurate. The new Humiditrak looks sick.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
This is what I use also - where I am on the Western Slope of the Rockies the RH struggles most times to get out of the single digits. Where you are in Tucson I'll bet the great majority of humidity you can dump in the air will just be absorbed into the atmosphere before it does directly benefit that Martin. Humidipaks ( I recharge mine) are a great tool to maintain that nice 40 to 50 percent humidity your guitar wants.

Paired together with the new Humiditrack might be ideal for you, and not too hard to Maintain and monitor.

I used to do the sponge Planet Wave things that you dangled down into the sound hole, but I found I needed to re-wet every 2 or 3 days. With the Humidipaks I get 2 or 3 weeks before they get hard and need to be replaced.

Where I am here, many summer days you can feel the moisture being sucked right out of you into our dry dry atmosphere . I've lived here 10 years, and I think I only remember sweating twice.

All that being said, I do run an Essix whole house humidifier in my 12X14 guitar room That is the only place I will let a guitar sit uncased overnight.
Do you use a Hygrometer to test the Humidipaks? I'm seeing mixed reviews.

And if you are, are you using the Humiditrak system? Looks extremely appealing if accurate.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamagish View Post
Do you use a Hygrometer to test the Humidipaks? I'm seeing mixed reviews.

And if you are, are you using the Humiditrak system? Looks extremely appealing if accurate.
I have 3 Mead remote read hygrometers and a Mead room hygrometer, According to the salt tests I've done the Meads read low by 5 to 10%. The Huniditrack is spot on. I only have one Humiditrack sensor, and I want to figure out how to access information in the D'Addario cloud while I travel. So far I haven't figured that out. I'm not a very tech savvy guy.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidification, humidity, martin