The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar Compressors

I've been reviewing online various guitar/instrument pedal compressors for use in live settings with mostly my Martin HD-28 which I'm about to have LR Baggs' Anthem (mic/pickup combo) electronics system installed in.

I have heard of so many of them. My budget is $200, but I'm still glad to hear about others. I know I want a clean, natural sound from my guitar as I intend to play in a folk/bluegrass style with fingerpicking from time to time, although I plan on playing a range of styles as well.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:24 PM

Check your inbox
Old 02-12-2016, 08:01 PM

I've been through a lot of compressors. The FMR RNC has gotten rave reviews and is often compared to compressors costing many times more. In "Super Nice" mode this is pretty transparent on acoustic guitar, and it's only about $175.

http://www.fmraudio.com/rnc.html
Old 02-12-2016, 08:16 PM

Went back n forth on this and ultimately ended up with the CMatmods Deluxe Signa Comp, that's the bronzie 4 knob one. Very clean and smooth. There's a sliver 4 knob which is the old Ross style. more 'electric' in my mind. Have a look on youtube.

I use it primarily when I'm slide dabbling to take the edges off a little, but could be an always on thing if set appropriately.

Kris
Old 02-12-2016, 10:19 PM

I realize that it is out of your budget, but I think the Origin Effect Cali76 Compact Deluxe is the best compressor I have ever used.....maybe the best pedal ever. It really is a magic box. Clean and clear, like a "better" button. I gig one regularly. There is a Dry blend which helps keep the low end fat while bringing an articulation and warmth to the top end. A really nice "always on" pedal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bluegrass, compressor, martin, pedal