The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R J Luther View Post
I was seriously considering an FM50, look ideal to me, I think they even have slightly things necks but come with the volume of a OM or more

Do they otherwise stack up against the ‘50 models in terms of price, quality and subsequently prestige?

I’m super tempted right now

R J
Not sure how to answer your question. Anything "50 series" will certainly stack up in terms of quality and prestige. And, of course, price. You'll pay dearly for those extra 15 or 20 extra numbers in the model designation.

To my ears, the FM's are about as versatile a guitar that you can get from Lowden, especially with a spruce top. They still have that Lowden "sound", but there is something more familiar about the sound. It's not like a Martin, Taylor, etc, but it doesn't seem out of place with stuff I'd normally play one of those guitars. Not sure of that makes sense, hopefully you get what I'm saying.

The slimmer body makes them more comfortable to play for me, especially seated.

I can't comment on the neck. Mine was special ordered with the regular Lowden neck by the original owner who I bought it from. I can't do skinny necks, so that would have been a deal breaker for me. My guitar is European spruce over fiddleback mahogany and I couldn't be happier with it.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Richard Thompson manages to play Britney Speers covers on his Lowden, so I'd say the pop sensibilities are all there!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebass View Post
always been the aim for me to own an F series. As a side not, are there any factory made production guitars based on the Lowdens? Say like the Avalon Gold and Silver series.
Lowdens are factory made production guitars, it's just a rather small factory. Avalon are very similar, with a slightly smaller factory. McIlroy, although you haven't asked, is a very small workshop.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:47 PM

What does this mean? Is a factory-made production guitar made mostly by machine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Lowdens are factory made production guitars, it's just a rather small factory. Avalon are very similar, with a slightly smaller factory. McIlroy, although you haven't asked, is a very small workshop.
Hope this helps.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:03 PM

Only the other day, I returned my 3 Lowdens to standard tuning.

My recent O22 has been in DADGAD mainly since I bought it new. It really is sensational for this tuning. But a great guitar is a great guitar and in standard tuning, fingerpicking the O22 is delightful.

Edit: Even though it is a large guitar, the balanced tone across the strings make it like fingerpicking a smaller 00, but with a 'bigger' sound. Fingerpickers can be ecstatic while people hoping for a 'Martin' type boom will be very disappointed.

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-30-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
What does this mean? Is a factory-made production guitar made mostly by machine?
The guitars are made by people operating machines, with some hand tools involved, but on a factory basis rather than by individual luthiers.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Thanks to all the replies and info my interest was piqued to the level that I mopped down to Wunjo on Denmark Street and grabbed myself a wee Lowden

Well it wasn’t a Wee Lowden, but it was an S50 with mastergrade EIR and a master Cedar top with upgraded rosette, purfling (!) and the rest. What a beauty. Standard tuning all the way so far and absolutely loving it
Finding the warmth of the Cedar calms some of the piano like treble down and gives a full, warm, clear and powerful sound

Legend has to that the way the S is designed it is/can be the loudest of all the series, not sure how they manage that but it is bass and boom to spare
Lovely guitar

So for anyone who contributed so far you’re at least partly responsible for this latest purchase of mine

Thanks!

R J
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom
Lowden S-50 Master Honduran Rosewood, Cedar combo

1971 Kohno No:20 Rosewood Classical

Fender Strat ‘59 masterbuilt Paul Waller
Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Les Paul Custom ‘57 black beauty
Old 09-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all the replies and info my interest was piqued to the level that I mopped down to Wunjo on Denmark Street and grabbed myself a wee Lowden

Well it wasn’t a Wee Lowden, but it was an S50 with mastergrade EIR and a master Cedar top with upgraded rosette, purfling (!) and the rest. What a beauty. Standard tuning all the way so far and absolutely loving it
Finding the warmth of the Cedar calms some of the piano like treble down and gives a full, warm, clear and powerful sound

Legend has to that the way the S is designed it is/can be the loudest of all the series, not sure how they manage that but it is bass and boom to spare
Lovely guitar

So for anyone who contributed so far you’re at least partly responsible for this latest purchase of mine

Thanks!

R J
Congratulations! Post some pics!

Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Very nice!

Congratulations!

How did you decide on that particular guitar at Wunjo? Was it a pre-planned strike and you walked straight up to the Lowden S50 or...gulp...you tried all they had?

BluesKing777.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:46 AM

Made them an offer on a gorgeous looking S50 then made it clear I was visiting a few other stores and had money to spend. Denmark Street in London is a veritable Aladins cave for those who haven't been; must be at least 6 stores within 100 yards all stocking vintage fine and rare guitars.
Anyway lo and behold they called me back not 10 mins after I left accepting my offer and I walked (well Uber) home with a brand new Lowden
Think Lowden are 1 of the only high end acoustics that are actually cheaper over here so it was a stunning deal. Plus I reclaim the VAT when traveling back to Dubai so was hard to refuse.

Will post a couple of pics later, its a stunner. I found some of the models little bright and chimey but I guess the master grade Cedar wood top warms it all up a bit and it sounds fantastic
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom

Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Old 09-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Well done, R J. Congrats on the new Lowden! Which woods were used for the back and sides of your S50?

Edit: I see it's Honduran rosewood, according to your updated signature. Very nice - looking forward to pictures.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 09-02-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:51 AM

excuse my ignorance but is there a quick and easy way to post photos on the forum? I'd love to put some pics of the Lowden up (as requested
Thanks
RJ
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom

Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Old 09-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
excuse my ignorance but is there a quick and easy way to post photos on the forum? I'd love to put some pics of the Lowden up (as requested
Thanks
RJ
Become a charter member. The cost is very low, this forum has a wealth of information, you can post things for sale in the classified section, and upload images directly from a computer, smartphone, or tablet.

Also thanks for the new vocabulary word...Craic

From Wikipedia
Craic (/kræk/ KRAK) or crack is a term for news, gossip, fun, entertainment, and enjoyable conversation, particularly prominent in Ireland.
1. It is often used with the definite article – the craic – as in the expression "What's the craic?" (meaning "How are you?" or "What's happening?").
The word has an unusual history; the Scots and English crack was borrowed into Irish as craic in the mid-20th century and the Irish spelling was then reborrowed into English.Under either spelling, the term has great cultural currency and significance in Ireland.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-03-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks
RJ
Imgur seems to work well for me.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Default Off Topic for those not in the know (What's the Craic)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craic

MGF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic addicts, dadgad, lowden, premium, tunings