The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 AM

Default DAH!! bubbles in my rainsong

So I had just finished a band practice at my church and when I get home, I get my guitar to clean the nasty grim left from my sweaty arm and what do I see? bubbles in my finish. Pretty large bubbles...what the heck is this? anyone else with a CF guitar have anything like this? The bubbles are just above the cutaway (not near where my arm sits while playing). Is this something that's covered under waranty?

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 AM

Congratulations, Mark. You have one of their Limited Editions, complete with their new Supplemental Resonation Cavities.

I don't know about their warranty coverage, but I would suspect that something like this is covered. I suggest contacting your dealer immediately. Good luck!

cotten
Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 PM

Angry Bubbles in Rainsong Guitar

I recently posted a problem I have with my guitar. I'm looking for others who might have a similar problem.

I have a 12-string Rainsong guitar that I bought used in May. The guitar originally had what appeared to be raised smudges on below and above the sound hole.

In June, I played it in the sun (briefly-- 10 to 15 minutes), the guitar has "bubbled" up. Rainsong denies there is a problem with bubbling, saying they've never heard of it before.

If you do a search on this site, it appears that at least one other person has had a bubbling problem with his Rainsong. Based on conversations I've had with engineering types I know, some sort of delamination is suspected.

The bottom line is that: 1) Rainsong denies this problem and 2) you should know that the Rainsong brand is not weather and temperature tolerant as some Google searches would lead you to believe.

The guitar still sounds good. It looks hell-a-cious, though.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:05 PM

ya know i got a finish spot on my martin that is wearing down and becoming discolored by my where my arm rests and/or sweats when jamming. but i am of the mind that the more aged and beat up and waeathered a guitar gets, especially a martin, the more precious it becomes. i am probably inthe minority on this one but i suggest finding the bubbles endearing....
Old 07-13-2006, 02:14 PM

I don't know, but it seems to me that I've heard a lot about this issue with Rainsong guitars lately. Too bad that the answer also seems to be that Rainsong doesn't cover it with their warranty

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Yeah-agreed. "No one's at fault"--but a finish issue?? I'd push it as high up as you can go, and by all means mention posting it on ALL the acoustic guitar forums. Don't think that has an impact? Just ask Stephen Paul (aka "Esteban")

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM

Hmm, wonder what they use for the finish? Sounds like something unstable maybe?

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 07-13-2006, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'd contact them. To me it sounds like an issue with the finish. In other threads some have suggested it's an issue with direct sunlight, but I haven't had that problem with my WS1000. I played an afternoon pool party last weekend and it was a scorcher--no problems with the Rainsong, and I was in the hot sun for almost three hours. Mine is nearly five years old now and I take it everywhere. These guitars are typically impervious to hot and cold weather. However, they are made by human beings and problems can occur in the manufacturing process.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:11 AM

Angry

I've read on the Internet about people playing these guitars in the sun. All I've got to say is: WATCH OUT! I only played this guitar for 10-15 minutes in the sun, and it really screwed up the top's finish.

PS Off-topic--- Please answer: how do you "Search" the forums? It appears to me that this ability to "Search" is no longer available to me. I used to see it as a clickable item on the screen. (I wonder if it's because I negged Rainsong?)
Old 07-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Winning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadButTrue
I've read on the Internet about people playing these guitars in the sun. All I've got to say is: WATCH OUT! I only played this guitar for 10-15 minutes in the sun, and it really screwed up the top's finish.
What on earth, is it finished with watercolours or something!?

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM

I've owned Rainsongs for over four years, no bubbling. Played an hour in direct sunlight about a month ago with a JM1000, no problems for the guitar - I had the life sucked out of me, though. The only defect in my old WS1000 was self inflicted while learning why not to put black guitars on black stands in dark rooms where dummies can fall over them.

Of course, having seen what's under the clear finish, the prospect of it all bubbling away doesn't bother me at all, providing the guitar still sounds like it does. Believe me, Jumbo is the way to go with Rainsongs - I love these guitars.

Don Ward
Rainsong WS9000 Nylon
Rainsong JM1000 Jumbo 6 string
Rainsong JM3000 Jumbo 12 string
Bose L1

P.S. No, I don't work for Rainsong - though someday my wife and I will probably move to Washington State. I just got tired of wood guitars.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadButTrue
PS Off-topic--- Please answer: how do you "Search" the forums? It appears to me that this ability to "Search" is no longer available to me. I used to see it as a clickable item on the screen. (I wonder if it's because I negged Rainsong?)
Search is temporarily disabled until they move to a new server. In the mean time I've just used the Google search site feature.

If you don't have the google toolbar (you should but if you don't) go to google and put in (without the quote marks):
"site:www.acousticguitarforum.com rainsong"
Old 07-20-2006, 10:28 PM

I have two WS1000s (one Hawai'ian w/ pickguard, the other Washington sans pickguard), and haven't seen the bubbling you mention; one is always out on a stand (or in my lap), the other in its case 90% of the time. Both finishes look OEM.

RainSong related query: There's a noticable difference in the neck profiles between the two: the Hawai'ian has a thicker radius, the Washington's slimmer and slicker. Anybody else played both and noticed the contrast? Maybe it's just my inept "technique."

________
Colorado dispensaries

Last edited by FLDavid; 04-08-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Ah, HAAA! You may have answered my question.
My old jar-head pal Guitarget, who posted above, loves his Rainsongs and continually praises their necks. I found this confusing because I drove three hours to Atlanta to try one out [the wife thinks we went to see my daughter in college] and found the neck to be intollerable. More like a baseball bat sliced in half, when compared to my Big Baby Taylor. There were several in the store and three were "on consignment." It was a few years ago so they could have been made in Hiwaii. I'll let you know if my suspicions are true after he and I get together later on this summer and I get to try them out.
Who knows, my next guitar may be a Rainsong.
After all, I've only bought one this year.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackweasel
. . . More like a baseball bat sliced in half. . .
Now here's the irony:
I used to play the thinner Washington out live, but, since I'm a piano player (I only "double" on guitar) I found it harder to play for long stretches (my thumb would get fatigued constantly playing double-barre chords behind some bandmates', uh," e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d solos."
I found that the thicker neck of the Hawai'ian gave me more neck to "press into" and gave me relief. But the Washington feels distinctly more comfortable when I'm just noodling around in the living room.

They both project like a 1959 Kodak Carrousel. They're the Bosendorfer Imperial Grands of the guitar world, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackweasel
Who knows, my next guitar may be a Rainsong.
Hard for me to believe that you wouldn't be impressed.
________
Ipad Cases

Last edited by FLDavid; 04-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber