The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Minus 3 plus one Martin Custom Shop Authentic D-28???

I have too many guitars, so what better place to come than the AGF braintrust to ask about buying another?

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I'm trying to answer many of the anticipated questions now.

I'm trying to be sensible about this. I am contemplating selling three guitars to mostly fund the purchase of a D-28 authentic (most likely the Custom Shop Adi/EIR models). I read all the rave reviews for this model and it has piqued my interest. Although I could afford it, I really don't want to simply "add" another guitar because, well, I have too many guitars already. I am on the road for my work about 12 days a month, so the guitar that gets the MOST playtime per month is my Furch LJ (love that thing!), while my five Martins, two Breedloves, and Taylor 12-string have to share limited time at home in the rotation. (I will retire in about three years)

Guitars I would sell:
SC-13e
1992 D-35
Breedlove Focus Revival Dread (their take on a pre-war D-18, made in the Custom shop just below their Masterbuilt series)
Not to mention a Historic Les Paul and a 335...

Now, I have read all of the "D-28 vs. D-35 vs. ..." threads, but most of these are addressing the standard series D-28's. I am intrigued by the custom shop authentics. My D-35 was my first "good" acoustic. After playing exclusively electric for may years, I bought it used in 1999 at a well respected shop here in Colorado Springs. The guitar had suffered a top seam split which was repaired by the in-house Martin Authorized Service Center before they placed it up for sale (just had it looked at by a Luthier two months ago and it's still holding up, 23 years later). It has great action and is comfortable to play. An acquaintance who knows D-35's pretty well, after only a few strums on it, immediately said, "you got one of the good ones." (It was definitely better sounding than his).

My thought is to thin the herd to the following:

Two really nice dreads:
The authentic D-28, or should I also consider a Collings RW dread?
Gibson 50's J-45

Small bodied:
000-15m
000-18S (LA Guitar Sales Custom Shop spec)
OM-28
Breedlove Sitka/RW Concertina (parlor size)

The 12 string
Taylor GA-3

About me: 61 years old. Probably never going to gig again, so it's for my own enjoyment. I like to strum rock/pop songs and I've been studiously working on my fingerpicking (mostly blues style). I do not do ANY bluegrass strumming/flatpicking (seems most D-28 online demos are bluegrass flatpicking). I am aware the 28 will sound different from the 35, but I am hoping for specific info comparing the Custom Shop Authentic D-28 as an "all-around" guitar to replace the D-35.

The idea is to cover my dread bases with a very nice RW D-28 (or Collings) and the mahogany J-45. Why do I bring up Collings? I have very limited experience with boutique brands. In fact, my only real experience was an afternoon all by myself in Elderly's back room. That day I got to play two Collings, a H&D, a Santa Cruz, and a McPherson. I considered all of them to be "better" than my D-35, but the only one I considered "worth" the extra $1000-2000 (at the time) expense were the two Collings. Many of the reviews/comments I read about the Martin D-28 authentics say that these Martins belong in the space/market occupied by the above-mentioned boutique builders.

What say ye, AGF? Does selling my two "very nice" dreads and replacing with what could be my "Ultimate lifetime guitar" (D-28 Authentic or a Collings Martin-inspired dread) make sense? Or, will it be more akin to my Elderly experience -- the D-28 or Collings will be "better" but it all comes down to the value judgement whether the additional $3000 price differential is worth it? Will the 1937 Authentic blow me away?
Old 05-23-2022, 12:30 PM

See my recent NGD post about my purchase of a 000-28 Custom Shop authentic. I drove all over Texas trying as many high end guitars as I could, and this one was so obviously the winner that it wasn’t even particularly close.

My second night of owning it, I absentmindedly stayed up until nearly 5 AM (not a typo) because I couldn’t stop playing it. That’s never happened to me before.

You won’t regret buying the Martin.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I have indeed read your thread. Your enthusiasm helped spark my interest in the D-28.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:45 PM

I'd find a way to audition a Collings--particularly a Collings D2 Traditional as well as the Martin. I know, it seems next to impossible these days to audition the guitars one would really like to play, but I'd at least call around to see if it's possible.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

This place is officially called the Acoustic Guitar Forum, but it really should be called the GAS Enablers Forum. You came to the right place. I can see no reason why you shouldn't get rid of the guitars you're not playing or not happy with and get the one you want.

It's a great guitar, just make sure you post some pictures here when you get it!
Old 05-23-2022, 01:06 PM

Makes great sense - I had a grand plan to simplify my guitar count, and ended up trading in a handful of nice guitars towards a D-45.
Included a D28 Marquis, an M-36, a Gretsch '57 CG Jet, a Taylor 514ce...

A bit anxious at 1st, but it turned out to be a great deal - as I absolutely love the D-45 and it cost me comparatively little out of pocket. (and the prices jumped up like $1000 only 8 months later)

I have read nothing bad about the Authentics...quite the opposite; and a D-28 is...well - a D-28.

Last edited by jmjohnson; 05-23-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:21 PM

I've done the get a more expensive guitar to thin out the herd excuse myself. You declutter and trade up at the same time.... that is until you add another down the road . I've heard so many great things about those custom shop authentics. Have fun looking!

Old 05-23-2022, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Yes. Those are the thoughts bouncing around in my head right now.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I have the D-28CAA. It is the very best Martin I have ever played or owned and it’s not even close. Several months ago, someone tried to half mock this model as a fancier D-28 Marquis. Well, let me tell you I had a first year (2005) D-28 Marquis that was stellar. But the Authentic runs circles around the memory of that old box. I also sold a terrific sounding Collings D2HTS (Satin Traditional) to help pay for the D-28CAA. Only my 2003 Merrill C-28 Honduran is better, and it isn’t by much.

You say you don’t play bluegrass which may change the calculus a bit. The D-35 is a stellar singer songwriter instrument and also a great fingerpicker due to the lighter 1/4” bracing. But the D-28CAA is also quite responsive and sounds like nothing else in the standard line or style 40+ for that matter.

I would consolidate and get the Authentic. It’s a home run for Martin.

This is one of my favorite demos of this model on the internet. Skip to 6:30 to hear it:

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-23-2022, 08:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

All I can tell you is that my Martin Custom Shop D-28 Authentic 1937 (non-aged) is by far the best Martin I’ve ever played/owned. Is it “better” than my Collings (see sig)? Nope. Just different. And it’s clear evidence that Martin can produce guitars of boutique quality if it wants to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion