The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Sennheiser E 935….my new favorite…

…vocal mic that is…..I was invited to do a solo set for a recent event and just used the mic that the lead vocalist for the band that played after me had set up….it was so good compared to the Beta57 I’ve been using for 20 years and the SM 58 I’ve used for forty years…..sure I’ve sang through some great condensers over the years…. but this e935 is the best dynamic I’ve encountered and singing through it was enough to prompt me to order one when I got home….

…..once I received I had to do a comparison and it is so noticeably better than my Shure dynamics there really wasn’t any comparison…the differences were significant….louder ….richer….more clarity and sibilance …..easier to work with…and it’s every bit as sturdy as a 58 or 57….and better looking…..and still reasonably priced though it’s about 65 dollars more than a Beta 58 at right around 200 new…

…so if you’re in the market or a new vocal mic or just want to try something new the e935 is worth a listen…they’ve been around for awhile so I’m probably a bit late to the party….but hey there’s some chips and dip left….
…..

Last edited by J Patrick; 05-15-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I was invited to do a solo set for a recent event and just used the mic that the lead vocalist for the band that played after me had set up….it was so good compared to the Beta57 I’ve been using for 20 years and the SM 58 I’ve used for forty years…..sure I’ve sang through some great condensers over the years…. but this e935 is the best dynamic I’ve encountered and singing through it was enough to prompt me to order one when I got home….
It's what I sang with at my Farmer's Market this morning. I love it.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
…vocal mic that is…..I was invited to do a solo set for a recent event and just used the mic that the lead vocalist for the band that played after me had set up….it was so good compared to the Beta57 I’ve been using for 20 years and the SM 58 I’ve used for forty years…..sure I’ve sang through some great condensers over the years…. but this e935 is the best dynamic I’ve encountered and singing through it was enough to prompt me to order one when I got home….

…..once I received I had to do a comparison and it is so noticeably better than my Shure dynamics there really wasn’t any comparison…the differences were significant….louder ….richer….more clarity and sibilance …..easier to work with…and it’s every bit as sturdy as a 58 or 57….and better looking…..and still reasonably priced though it’s about 65 dollars more than a Beta 58 at right around 200 new…

…so if you’re in the market or a new vocal mic or just want to try something new the e935 is worth a listen…they’ve been around for awhile so I’m probably a bit late to the party….but hey there’s some chips and dip left….
…..
Yep, it's a fantastic mic! I bought one about five years ago just to try out and I haven't looked back. As you mentioned, it's clear but still has a nice bottom end. I find that I never need to eq it, it just sounds right. In comparison, I find that Shure mics tend to have a midrange that really needs to be dialed out. It helps in a live setting but if you don't eq it a bit, it can make the vocals sound a bit gritty.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:52 PM

I'm a big fan. I find most people sound better on an e935 than a '58, more detailed, softer and more responsive to technique.

Those who sound better on a '58 tend to be those who project well and have a distinctive texture to their voice, Bono being the obvious example who usually sings well within the limits of his projection but, because he has such a great range and control, gives the impression that he is straining a lot of the time, which is represented well by the '58.

The e935 on the other hand works really well with a gentler approach. It excels at voices which are robust but reedy, flute-like rather than saxophone (it does great with saxophones).

Predictable proximity response and tight low frequency response, unlike some with apparent "overhang" or muddiness on bass notes.

Good choice, enjoy.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Another fan of the Sennheiser 935.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-16-2022, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been a fan for years now. Just a heads-up, mine died at a gig last week. Always have a spare mic with you!
Old 05-16-2022, 04:37 AM

Another fan here!!
Old 05-16-2022, 05:43 AM

I really like Sennheiser mics. I switched several years ago. For about a month I had a Bose L1C, and I thought the SM58 sounded best through that. With the Fishman 330x and pretty much everything else I've used, I prefer Sennheiser.

I have the 935 and 945. Both are fantastic. I don't see myself buying another brand. I use the 945 steadily as I find it works best for my voice.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:07 AM

Have used and handled the venerable 58 and 57 for decades. They are what they are, the good and the meh, no sour grapes here.

I transitioned to personally using an e835 many years ago, whoa, what an improvement in clarity and crispness. Then when Senny had that "mic of the month" thing a while ago, I snagged two e935s (at 100 smackers, who can lose?!!!). Yet another incremental improvement over an already good mic: clear, crisp, great GBF, requires scant little EQ at the console ...just a stellar live mic overall. One can always spend more, but these are fabulous performers for not so much dough!

Edward
Old 05-16-2022, 10:13 AM

I am another fan of the e935, really great mic, worked really well for my deeper vocal range. With that being said, I now own the Heil PR-37, and to be honest, I like it even better. I run it through my Allen & Heath Zed-10FX board using the phantom, and it is amazing how crisp and crystal clear this microphone is, very transparent.

2014 Blueridge BR-140CE Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Solid Mahogany Back and Sides

2008 Takamine EG440C-Transparent Black Quilted Maple(Campfire Guitar)

2007 Blueridge BR-43 Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Mahogany Back and Sides
Old 05-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I used an 835 for about a year and really liked the way it sounded with my vocals, then one night on the 2nd gig of a two gig weekend I plugged it in and it was dead. It was always stored in it's mic bag and didn't have a scratch on it but it died. I decided to go back to a Beta 58 just for the dependability factor. It doesn't sound as good as the Sennheiser but it as a good range and it works, and the Beta 58 sounds a lot better than the SM58.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-16-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:

…..
It's funny, I bought a 935 and a 945 for my duo. After using them for awhile, my singer bought one of the Sennheisers after something happened with her 58. After a while longer, I went back to my Beta 58 and I'm still using it. I forget which I kept for me (935 or 945), but I carry it to every gig but it's now my backup.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the e935.

Back when the pandemic hit, I decided it was just good health practice to carry my own mic everywhere I went to play. Even after the pandemic, it just makes good health sense. I really get "on" the mic.

So I listened to a bunch of on-line dynamic mic review videos and decided I'd give the e935 a shot. Sounded best to my headphoned ears. So, I bought it and have been using it for a couple years. I like it a lot. It's always in my guitar gig-bag pocket.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
...I decided to go back to a Beta 58 just for the dependability factor.
I have two beta 58s, one in a mic case and one in the "dead zone" waiting for me to make a decision on it.

It can happen to any mic.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I have two beta 58s, one in a mic case and one in the "dead zone" waiting for me to make a decision on it.
It can happen to any mic.
Truth!

Shures are indestructible workhorses ...until they aren't.
Sennheiser Evo series carry a 10-yr warranty. I've not personally know anyone --anyone-- who has yet to make a warranty claim on an evo. Just sayin

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification