The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I believe the Whirlwind “Little Imp” is the same device in a slightly different package.
The Shure has an all metal case whereas I believe the “the Little Imp ” is part plastic.
I believe Shure is “made in the USA” and the other, elsewhere.
I contacted Sweetwater about the Whirlwind version which they offer and was told that it did increase the gain but there was no documentation on that or even how much in terms of decibels. Nonetheless, I think it’s the same thing.
You can purchase the Shure from their website with free two day arrival shipping or the Amazon link Methos 1979 provided.
Great piece of info rokdog and methos.
I have Hosa converter that does the same thing, but like the Whirlwind does not give specific info as to how much db it increases.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-15-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have one new thing to report that was not noticed during yesterday's testing and demo due to the sheer volume. We were testing the system this morning at lower volumes for today's assisted living facility show and we both noted a definite change in tone between using the Shure A85F and not using it. The sound with the A85F was distinctly darker and not in a pleasant way. Fortunately, rolling off the low end just a little bit brought the tone right back to where the sound without the adapter was.

I will update the original post above to add this information for those yet to read it.
I was going to ask if you noticed any difference in the sound. A few years back I used a similar Audio Technica matching transformer for recording and had noticed a difference in the tonal response of the mic. I believe was due to the termination impedance of the matching transformer which was dependent on the impedance of the 1/4" termination it was plugged into. I think I recall the mic lost low end with the matching transformer in my case.
It appears you were using a wireless setup, so this is likely different than how a dynamic mic would be loaded, but perhaps is also affect by termination impedance.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:53 AM

The Shure A85F has one particular weak link in the 1/4" plug and the older ones allowed you to unscrew the plug and change it to a jack so that a guitar cord could be run instead, and as long as the high impedance cable is 20' or less there's no problem with high end loss.

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

Last edited by Nama Ensou; 04-26-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
The Shure A85F has one particular weak link in the 1/4" plug and the older ones allowed you to unscrew the plug and change it to a jack so that a guitar cord could be run instead, and as long as the high impedance cable is 20' or less there's no problem with high end loss.

Other companies are making the same thing now so it shouldn't be too hard to find an alternative that doesn't have that one weak link. Here's a couple options I found in a quick search.

No male Jack without the cable?
No good for me. I’m plugging direct it into my S1 with a wireless microphone adapter on it.

For twenty bucks to replace the Shure if it fails, the “weak link” is not that much of an issue.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 04-15-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Might this unit replace the CLOUD LIFTER? I use the SM7 mic if that helps.
It looks like it would since the “Cloud Lifter” is basically the same thing.
According to Sweetwater’s site you get +25db of gain with it.
The big advantage I see with the compact versions like the Shure or the others is you can go wireless right into your powered speaker…no cables required. If you watch Methos 1979 video you will see how he does that with an S1.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-15-2022, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Is this any different from the old lo-Z to high-Z adapters? So it sounds like the S1 Pro is looking for a high-Z source?
Old 04-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It looks like it would since the “Cloud Lifter” is basically the same thing.
According to Sweetwater’s site you get +25db of gain with it.
The big advantage I see with the compact versions like the Shure or the others is you can go wireless right into your powered speaker…no cables required. If you watch Methos 1979 video you will see how he does that with an S1.
I was wondering the same thing since I use a Cloudlifter myself.

The Cloudlifter requires phantom power, and I gather this Shure device doesn't. Other than that I'm unclear on the differences. There may be some nuances that don't affect me, but if it produces the same result, victory!

Last edited by Chriscom; 04-15-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-15-2022, 11:25 AM

I don't see how this could replace a Cloudlifter - that is essentially an active pre-preamp. The impedance adapter isn't an amp, instead you're getting signal back that was previously lost due to an impedance mismatch. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...dio/imped.html

With an SM7B, it is just a low output mic - there could be some losses due to impedance mismatch but it mostly is that a lot of preamps out there, particularly inexpensive ones in cheap mixers and interfaces, don't have sufficient gain for the mic. Or you have to crank the gain and with cheaper preamps it is noisy.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-15-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have one new thing to report that was not noticed during yesterday's testing and demo due to the sheer volume. We were testing the system this morning at lower volumes for today's assisted living facility show and we both noted a definite change in tone between using the Shure A85F and not using it. The sound with the A85F was distinctly darker and not in a pleasant way. Fortunately, rolling off the low end just a little bit brought the tone right back to where the sound without the adapter was.

I will update the original post above to add this information for those yet to read it.
I tried my Hosa xlr to 1/4" Transformer https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-MIT-435-...s%2C55&sr=1-21 into the S1 and it does increase the gain a signicant amount. Like Methos said, the tone did become a little darker. Going to try it at tonight's gig.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Last edited by jricc; 04-16-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:56 AM

Another factor that may be at play - the S1 could have a sensor that changes the internal preamp gain structure depending on if it gets an XLR or 1/4". I would have thought the tone match switch would do that, but might be more going on under the hood.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-15-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I was wondering the same thing since I use a Cloudlifter myself.

The Cloudlifter requires phantom power, and I gather this Shure device doesn't. Other than that I'm unclear on the differences. There may be some nuances that don't affect me, but if it produces the same result, victory!
The Shure A85F does not require phantom power.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Great piece of info rokdog and methos.
I have Hosa converter that does the same thing, but like the Whirlwind does not give specific info as to how much db it increases.
The Hosa looks suspiciously like the “Little Imp” with different branding.
I suspect they source them from the same place.
The Little Imp is less expensive.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-16-2022, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Hosa looks suspiciously like the “Little Imp” with different branding.
I suspect they source them from the same place.
The Little Imp is less expensive.
Hey rokdog, yes it does appear to be the same, I had it laying around and figured I'd give it a shot. I used it last night at a gig with the S1and it worked well. Definitely more gain, more headroom.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 04-16-2022, 09:16 AM

Great…hey as long as it works it’s all good.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-16-2022, 09:22 AM

Indeed game changer is pretty much spot on.

I have an S1 pro, and that's been one of my question marks to using it stand alone as well. Works great DI'd off my Loudbox Artist of course but that aint this.

Thanks for posting this video guys

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification