The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-05-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Tommy Emmanuel (and Mike Dawes) show report

My wife and I went to see TE last night. He kicked off his new tour in Buffalo and Mike Dawes was the opening act.

We were in a converted (huge) Catholic church that Ani DeFranco turned into a venue called Babeville. It was a really cool place with great acoustics that seats 1200. There were about 900-1000 people in attendance I estimate.

I knew of Mike Dawes but never heard/saw any of his performances. He is a percussive fingerstyle player. I think percussive playing has been overdone lately but Mike did it "right". Everyone else seems to try and one-up the percussiveness. But Mike did it with reserve and taste and was awesome. And he was such an engaging and fun guy. It was amazing to watch a guy just play guitar and not sing and be so thoroughly entertained.

Mike played about mixture of his own original songs and an ecclectic mix of covers,

Then TE did his set and it was mind boggling. Mike Dawes is famous for his stellar guitar playing, and Mike introduced TE as "the greatest guitar player of all time". I have heard that many time and I agree.

TE also did a mix of covers and originals, but he sang a few songs as well. I would have gone home after seeing Mike Dawes, knowing I saw one of the greatest acoustic guitar performances of my life. Then TE came on and played on a whole other level. It felt akin to having seen Mozart play the piano. Simply the best player that ever existed.

Tommy also was incredibly fun, humble and engaging. Totally genuine and I heard him described as "just full of joy" and that exactly describes his show.

TE joined MD for a song during his set, then MD joined TE for a couple songs during his set - it was very fun.

As an acoustic guitar player and lover, this was a bucket list performance and if anyone has not seen Tommy Emmanuelle, I highly recommend you do everything you can to go see him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg te and md.jpg (22.9 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg te and md 2.jpg (21.0 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg te.jpg (18.4 KB, 251 views)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 04-06-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:01 PM

Glad to hear the news!! We see him Friday night here in R.I. ......seen him 3 times.....always, as I say, "otherworldly". Had tickets for two years....now it's time to put them to use!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-05-2022, 12:39 PM

I have tickets to see Tommy this Saturday night in Derry New Hampshire, a small venue called the Tupelo Music Hall. I can't wait.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 04-05-2022, 03:22 PM

Saw TE last year in NYC and the guest player was Andy Mckee. It was like a dream to watch two of my favorite players on the same stage. Your post sent me back to the pictures I took and relived that night a brief while.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got tickets to see him tomorrow night with Mike Dawes, and sprang for the meet and greet—maybe I’ll have him autograph a guitar strap.

Has anyone looked closely at his tour schedule? It’s insane! I can’t imagine how exhausted he’ll be when it’s over.

P.S. Anyone interested in a ticket to his show at SOPAC next week, pm me. I bought a ticket that I won’t be able to use.

P.P.S. It’s “Emmanuel.”
Old 04-05-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

We were on the Bonamassa cruise in early 2020 and not only did we get to see TE perform four times, we spoke to him several time around the ship. He is incredibly approachable, engaging and personable, never playing “The Star.” He is the same person on and off stage. Oh, and he plays pretty good, too.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I found Mike Dawes from Rick Beato’s channel. Seems like a really nice guy, and agree he has amazing technique but is tasteful in deploying it.

Saw TE back in 2008 or 9. Smothers Theater on the Pepperdine campus in Malibu. I bought tickets late online and couldn’t tell where they were. Got there and found they were front row dead center - middle two seats for my wife and I. Must have been a production hold and luck of the draw. We were about 6’ away from him the entire night. Stunning stuff. He made it rain and thunder, made sounds so beautiful it made me tear up, and just seemed to be having the time of his life.

We saw him again a few years ago, still a great show but the first experience was hard to top. Easily in my top 5 live shows I’ve seen (along with Mark Knopfler in Long Beach 2013, Jeff Beck San Diego in 1980, Flecktones in 2009 (Xmas show with Tuvan throat singers), and Hiromi Trio in Santa Cruz).

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-06-2022, 07:01 AM

Also going to see TE on Saturday at Tupelo (seats less than 500 people - they announced today the show is sold out).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-06-2022, 07:07 AM

Friday's show in R.I. is also sold out. Similar set-up, about 500 folks, not a bad seat in the house!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-06-2022, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

There is nobody like him.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Also going to see TE on Saturday at Tupelo (seats less than 500 people - they announced today the show is sold out).
See you there, Mike.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I found Mike Dawes from Rick Beato’s channel.

I'll have to hunt that video down. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
I'll have to hunt that video down. Thanks for the tip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO2RaQ_ehQI

Rick also interviewed TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIZZ9lIlwg

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-06-2022, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

It must have been a great show there in Buffalo in a great big church -- a whole lot of natural reverb, I bet! I would have loved to see Tommy and Mike Dawes in the same show!

Regarding the comment about Tommy being "just full of joy," my wife and I went to hear TE at a workshop in Skaneateles, NY in May 2007 and following that some concerts in Syracuse and Rochester on the following days. While we were staying in Skaneateles, Tommy was in the next room and we got to know him a little and bumped into him multiple times with lots of animated conversations. After the workshop the next day we had visited the nearby town of Auburn to see the Seward House Museum, home of Secretary of State William H. Seward under Lincoln, and when we arrived back in the parking garage of the hotel at Skaneateles, Tommy was just returning from picking up his sound man at the airport for that evening's concert. As we were saying "hi" again, it started pouring rain just outside the garage entrance. Tommy just walked right out in the rain and laughed and let the rain soak him. He does enjoy life to the fullest.

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkycat View Post
There is nobody like him.
amen to that..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN