The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 04:29 PM

curt mangan round cores and newton round cores are easy on the fingers. dr sunbeams are options as well. dr rares are fairly easy on the fingers as well even tho they are not round core.

i really liked the feel and tone of phosphor bronze and silk strings by john pearse. also loved ghs silk and bronze. i did not notice volume loss with either of these by the way - certainly a very mellow tone that works very well with my waterloo.

i have been wanting to try dogal flatwounds as well as they are supposed to have a mellow feel and tone as well, but the low e is a very thin gauge - at 12-46 - which makes me leery of them as i down tune a lot. heard good things about them, tho, so floating this suggestion out there. happy string hunting

(Bruce - what did you think of the la bellas?)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post

(Bruce - what did you think of the la bellas?)
Well I think Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums are unique and set a very high standard but those La Bella Silk & Steels were the next best string to me and they gave me a lot of the Plectrum experience - but not all - at a very reasonable cost.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again if I had a bright sounding guitar and was looking for warmer tone strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-23-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Smile Elixirs…

I find Elixir HD Lights (phosphor bronze) work GREAT for what it do.

Much easier than most others on the fingertips, and string squeak is greatly diminished. And the long life is most welcome as I don’t enjoy changing strings.

The medium high strings offer a bit more resistance for slide, so avoid fret bonk.

You can also just tune any strings down a half step, or even a whole step.

Much easier on the fretting hand and wrist.

Good luck and happy picking

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-23-2022, 08:06 PM

Martin Retros are worth a try
Old 01-24-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Well I think Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums are unique and set a very high standard but those La Bella Silk & Steels were the next best string to me and they gave me a lot of the Plectrum experience - but not all - at a very reasonable cost.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again if I had a bright sounding guitar and was looking for warmer tone strings.
I agree that La Bella was also for me, next best but a step far enough down (again, for me) that I intend to simply pay the price. The T-I's are just SO nice!
Old 01-24-2022, 09:35 AM

I have been using GHS Silk & Bronze for a while now. They strike an optimal balance between tone, comfort, and cost for my arthritic hands. I also tune either half or a full step down and play with a capo on the second fret to shorten the scale length.

Thomastik Infelt Plectrums produce a rounder, sweeter sound but are a little expensive here in the US.
Christian
Old 01-24-2022, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi folks,

Just wondering what strings you find are a bit easier to fret.

Thanks!
Hi wg

Nylon.

Strings being easy-on-fingers is mostly a matter of a properly setup instrument, and light enough strings rather than string formulation.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-24-2022, 09:44 AM

It's all fine and well experimenting with guitar strings but pay a pro to set up your guitar. It's amazing how a properly cut nut and action adjustment can make an acoustic play almost like an electric.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:12 AM

Strings that are EASY on the fingers

Easy.

Elixir PB HD Lights (.013 - .053). Basically Medium trebles over Light bass strings.

Easier.

I use these on most of my six string guitars, from smaller Grand Concerts to Jumbo J-200s and a Grand Orchestra.

Easiest.

My short scale Taylor 412e-R rosewood Grand Concert is wicked easy to play, and sounds terrific besides.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-24-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

GHS Strings has been mentioned a few times, and they have several varieties of strings ranging from bright to mellow. There are other factors, but a mellower sound may partially be the result of lower tension - i.e. easier on the fingers. Here's a spectrum that shows how each of their strings sound - bright to mellow.

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products?categories=acoustic
Old 01-24-2022, 02:21 PM

OP: i had an experience recently where my preferred 11-52 gauge round core 80/20 strings sounded terrible to my ear and felt too loose on a new guitar. frustrated, i tried a set of hex core 80/20 strings in 12-56 and they sounded great. however, i play in standard tuning a lot nowadays and the thicker gauges were just too hard on my fingers. dropping a whole step down solved that issue. so much so that i upped the gauge on my other guitar to 12s as well and drop down a whole step when in standard or drop D - plays like butter and sounds freaking great.

Quote:

cheers, Bruce, appreciate that. your description makes me want to try them out. when my waterloo was newer, silk strings sounded lovely on them. it is 2 years old now and has warmed considerably (the change is quite astounding, actually) and i love the clarity of round core 80/20s on them. but lately, i've been thinking of trying some dogal flatwounds and/or some labellas just for fun and i think i will soon. it's nice to have a set of strings around that give your favorite guitar a different voice for a while!! thanks much for indulging!
Old 01-25-2022, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

DR Sunbeams!
Old 01-25-2022, 01:09 AM

Quote:

I tried a set of Medium LaBella Silk & Steel and really liked them a lot, enough that I bought a set of Lights for comparison. I find them mellow but notably louder than the silk and bronze varieties, even the light set. However I couldn’t deal with the 11 and 14 and so bumped them up to a 13 and 17 and now much better.

All this talk about Thomastik Infeld has me wanting to try them again (I’ve not tried them on my carbon fiber). Anyone recommend which set would pair up best for a 24.5” scale that sometimes lives in Open G or other dropped tunings? Probably the AC112 I’m guessing.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
DR Sunbeams!
Yes, love them! They are mellow but have a realiy unique and sparkly top end.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:30 AM

I’ve found that thomastik-infield plectrum strings are lower tension and easy on the fingers. Great tone also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion