The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-03-2018, 08:26 AM

Default OK, it’s not CF, but ......

When my wife retired last month, we moved from Washington to Arizona. We are living in our RV (400ish SF) while we get our new home designed and built. Not wanting to subject my wife and 2 cats (all of whom I love) to my guitar practice routine in this tiny space, I purchased a Yamaha silent guitar. About $550 from MF with a 20% off coupon.

It has been a little over a month here in sub 10% humidity, and the SLG200S is showing no signs of distress about the environment. I play at least 30 minutes a day, and the original battery is still installed. The nut was a bit high, and I had my tech adjust that a bit. I didn’t like the sound when using the earbuds Yamaha supplied. I switched to my Shure over the ear headphones, and it now sounds great. It has to be tuned most every day, whereas my Lucky 13 usually doesn’t need to be touched up even after a few days.

This is the guitar that encouraged me to order an X10 that has a skinnier neck and nut width than I’m used to. More of an electric feel I think.

Anyway, for those of you looking for a guitar that is a bit less of a problem in low humidity environments, and you don’t have the budget for a $1K+ composite, this may be an alternative.

When the wife’s out shopping and the cats are sedated, I still grab the L13, but the SLG sounds great, and I love to be able to play in this small space without bothering others too much.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Nice review...hope your home is completed soon.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:16 PM

I have had 3 of them there silent guitars...gigged a couple times with one and I mounted a Roland midi thingy on it...I have heard of this Az place... good place for X-10s and such.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Nice review...hope your home is completed soon.
Thanks. It will be at least 5 more months. And who says summer isn’t the best time to move to Arizona?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
<SNIP> I have heard of this Az place... good place for X-10s and such.
I heard a rumor that an X10 would be put on a direct flight from Donagal to Yuma later this month. I think the flight number is 310.

C’mon people... From the movie..... you know.. 310 To Yuma.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Default Silent guitar

There’s another side show to this instrument, the sound of it is quite similar to a Chapman Stick’s melody side when tapped. I play Stick also, and a few years ago on the forum someone posted a question about who was playing Stick at the end of a certain movie, and what type of Stick it could be ( there are several types of Chapman Sticks, I own two of them). After digging around on the internet, I found the musician and discovered he was really playing a Yamaha Silent Guitar.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine who owns a music store, also plays Stick and is a Yamaha dealer. Since then he’s been stocking these. I tried both the classical and steel string models, and yes, the steel string does sound very similar to an Alto and SG-12 Stick, which both have a shorter scale length between a guitar and bass. The construction of the Yamaha is pretty much a one piece neck which is not that much different from a Stick. The newer Silent guitars also have more features in the electronics than the old ones did.

May take me a bit to dig up that old post, I’ll repost the link to that artist that performs with it. Tapping instruments like Chapman Sticks, Warr Guitars, and Touchguitars are also a bit pricey. If all you want is a melody side with no bass capability, these make decent tapping guitars on a budget.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Default Matthew Nichols

Here’s the vid. He played this song at the end of the movie “Nothing but the Truth”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=FRz5y8M-mp0
Old 07-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I heard a rumor that an X10 would be put on a direct flight from Donagal to Yuma later this month. I think the flight number is 310.

C’mon people... From the movie..... you know.. 310 To Yuma.

Great movie I actually like the 1957 version better than the 2007 version.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber