The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2022, 11:01 AM

Default Order of Pedals on a Pedalboard

I want to construct a pedal board for my acoustic guitar. What order should the following pedals be in.
Boss tuner
LR Baggs Para DI
Boss tremolo pedal
Boss DM-3 Delay
Boss CH-3 chorus pedal.

Thank you, Michael
Old 05-23-2022, 12:11 PM

There is no "correct" order (you can get some cool tones by being creative!) but a rule of thumb for pedal order is:

1. Tuner
2. Preamp (and/or other drive, saturation or distortion)
3. Modulation (chorus/flange/wah/tremolo)
4. Time-based effects like reverb and delay

For your pedals, I'd go tuner > preamp, but you can experiment with the last three for the sound you want. Do you want the tremolo'ed sound to be repeated with the delay, or the delayed sound to be tremolo'ed? Chorus the tremolo or tremolo the chorus? That part is up to you.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:02 PM

Tuner -> Padi, TRS effects loop out to delay, tremolo, chorus, back into TRS effects loop. FYI, a TRS (stereo) 1/4" Y cable to dual TS (mono) 1/4" cable is necessary. The tip mono is usually the send [which goes into the first effect pedal] and the ring is the return [which comes out of the last effect pedal] .

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 05-23-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Tuner -> Padi, TRS effects loop out to delay, tremolo, chorus, back into TRS effects loop. FYI, a TRS (stereo) 1/4" Y cable to dual TS (mono) 1/4" cable is necessary. The tip mono is usually the send [which goes into the first effect pedal] and the ring is the return [which comes out of the last effect pedal] .
This, but I'd add that it doesn't really matter whether the tuner goes before the PADI or first in the TRS loop. Also: you will need to experiment a little with the order of the delay, tremolo, and chorus. Different orders will yield slightly different effects--no right answer with that.

Louis
Old 05-25-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I'd place everything in the loop including the tuner. This way your guitar pickup sees the input impedance of the para DI which I believe is 1M ohm.

If you are using the XLR output of the para DI, you could use the 1/4" output Jack for the tuner. In this mode the tuner will not mute the output.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

By the way, if you are looking for the finest cable for the Para DI effects loop, EBS makes one with flat cable and their small profile gold connectors. In the US they are available from Sweetwater.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I'd place everything in the loop including the tuner. This way your guitar pickup sees the input impedance of the para DI which I believe is 1M ohm.
The input-Z of the Baggs Para-DI is 10M, which is why it’s not a good pre for K&Ks (which like 1M).

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification