The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-14-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Consider the cable, as "combo deal" pack cables might have lower end connectors.

It's the other end, the one that likely fits into the mic, that has this, but cheap XLR cables sometimes skip the little rubber O-ring that makes it easier to get the connector unplugged and latched when plugging in. Little things like that make better than the cheapest cables more pleasurable to use.
Indeed. Looks like Audio Technica went the cheaper route with this podcasting bundle.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
What the boom arm has to do with it is that the cable is integrated inside it, which I like, for my purposes in the space I'm recording in.
I would have figured that out had I read your original post more carefully and also noticed "desk clamp". It's more a radio booth/podcast boom.

If a replacement is no different, try buying a better mic cable and plug it in, ignoring the built-in cable. $25 will get you a decent ProCo 10', and then you'd have a spare mic cable to boot. Just if it works, just zip-tie it to the boom (and cut the old one off if it bothers you).
Old 05-17-2022, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Curtis Judd just did a video about XLR cables. Short answer, always stick with Neutrik plugs (and jacks, if possible). When something sticks, you can pretty well assume one or both of the parts are out of spec if they haven't been abused. (Male XLR plugs can get out of round if they get rolled over by dollies/heavy carts, rolling chairs with heavy "objects" in them, etc.)

I'd just replace the male XLR plug with a new Neutrik one.

https://youtu.be/5D1WLtMiXn4?t=210

Last edited by keith.rogers; 05-17-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
…There are a couple of options that I see...
1. Contact the manufacturer and ask if this is normal or a defect. If it's a defect, ask how to get it sorted.
2. You can simply leave the XLR cable in place all the time.
Hi jim

Third suggestion - swap cables and see if it's the XLR end on THAT particular cable. XLR cables are not created the same (though one might assume they SHOULD be).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM

Buy a 5-6 footer of good quality (Neutrik connectors if possible), add it on the built in cable that comes from mic boom, and coil up the extra out of the way.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jim

Third suggestion - swap cables and see if it's the XLR end on THAT particular cable. XLR cables are not created the same (though one might assume they SHOULD be).
Hey Larry,

I thought the OP said he had tried another cable but I went back to check and I must've misread something. So yes, trying a different cable should be Step One.

Relatedly... I understand we all have different budgets so high quality cables may not be something everyone can afford, but I made a switch about ten years ago that has saved me a lot of headaches.

For about the first ten years I of my recording journey, I was using ProCo cables. They were cheap and got the job done ...they also would fail occasionally and then I'd have to hunt about for the culprit. When my system was on the smaller side, the hunt for the bad cable wasn't all that time consuming but as my system grew, it took longer and became a source of frustration when it happened.

Then someone told me about Redco.com. They make custom cables using the cable and connectors you choose and they make them to the length you want. Now you might think you'd pay a premium price for custom made cables but they actually come in way cheaper than the off the shelf equivalent.

For example, here's a pre-packaged six foot Mogami TRS to XLRM cable with black and gold connectors. It sells for $60. I can have the same cable custom built by Redco and it costs only $22.

Yes, I'm paying a little more for my cables but in the ten years since I dumped my ProCo cables and switched to all Mogami/Neutrik made by Redco, I haven't had a single cable failure. Plus there's the added bonus that Mogami uses superior shielding so there's little chance I'll get RF noise from having my cables cross paths and run alongside each other as much as mine do. For many home studio people, that isn't an issue, but here's the back of my rack. I have a lot of cables running back there. Hunting down one bad one would be a real headache now.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-17-2022, 05:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

By the way, during the plague my company partially sent me to mix audio at home. They bought me a Scarlett 212. I was overdubbing guitar and synth using the Scarlett and found that the XLR connectors were tight in the interface, with both Neutrix and Switchcraft connectors.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
By the way, during the plague my company partially sent me to mix audio at home. They bought me a Scarlett 212. I was overdubbing guitar and synth using the Scarlett and found that the XLR connectors were tight in the interface, with both Neutrix and Switchcraft connectors.

Bob
Having used a couple different interfaces with the 1/4" / XLR combo connectors has given me the perception that the combo connectors are generally the cause of the difficulty, although the usual complaint is the tightness of the 1/4" plug in the combo connector.

The XLR cable connector doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in the combo connector, although it's not as easy as a plain ol' XLR connector.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Having used a couple different interfaces with the 1/4" / XLR combo connectors has given me the perception that the combo connectors are generally the cause of the difficulty, although the usual complaint is the tightness of the 1/4" plug in the combo connector.

The XLR cable connector doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in the combo connector, although it's not as easy as a plain ol' XLR connector.
I am guessing Bob may have actually hit the nail,,, the specific interface connection (being the Scarlett )is the problem... Because on my Avid Carbon interface the combo connectors do not stick 1/4" or XLR

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-18-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

I haven't had much of an issue with XLR's, but some 1/4" plugs have been a problem in both combo and regular jacks due to the design of the tip part snagging on the inards of a jack when removing. Some tips are made with a rounded backside which allows it to slide over the metal connection in the jack easily when removing. Others which are made cheaply have an edge which tends to get caught and sometimes makes it difficult to remove. The cheaper ones also have a tendency to occasionally have intermittent audio connection problems.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I haven't had much of an issue with XLR's, but some 1/4" plugs have been a problem in both combo and regular jacks due to the design of the tip part snagging on the inards of a jack when removing. Some tips are made with a rounded backside which allows it to slide over the metal connection in the jack easily when removing. Others which are made cheaply have an edge which tends to get caught and sometimes makes it difficult to remove. The cheaper ones also have a tendency to occasionally have intermittent audio connection problems.

I'd say you are 100% correct.

It's too bad that the various manufacturers of combo connectors can't make them to accommodate the less well designed 1/4" plugs as well as a well made plug such as the Rean/Neutrik.

A combo connector should not be any more difficult than the garden variety jacks that are found on combo amps and other equipment. I've never had any difficulty unplugging a economy grade guitar cable from a combo amp. Combo connectors shouldn't be difficult either, but they are.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Curtis Judd just did a video about XLR cables. Short answer, always stick with Neutrik plugs (and jacks, if possible). When something sticks, you can pretty well assume one or both of the parts are out of spec if they haven't been abused. (Male XLR plugs can get out of round if they get rolled over by dollies/heavy carts, rolling chairs with heavy "objects" in them, etc.)

I'd just replace the male XLR plug with a new Neutrik one.

https://youtu.be/5D1WLtMiXn4?t=210
Yes as I said before Focusrite recommended Neutrik and I know for next cable purchase. But as I mentioned, I bought the AT podcasting kit with the cable inside the boom arm and that's what I'm using for now. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Problem Solved!

The DeOxit Fader F5 spray arrived from Sweetwater today and it did the trick! Just a few sprays around the outside edge of the connector and wait a moment for it to dry and voila! Cable comes out with a normal amount of pressure.

Thank you guys for your help especially MarkF_48 for suggesting it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD