The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone have a Gemini PA-300BT?

I've seen these systems on Musicians Friend for $299 - looks like a great setup for <$300, but while the reviews are mostly good, it also seems like most of them were written by people who hadn't put it through the paces.

Anyone have one?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:05 PM

Like you, I'm following these cheap line arrays. Sure, maybe we should all be buying Bose but that's just too rich for my meager needs. I couldn't even find a youtube video of these systems, unfortunately.

Sorry...
Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I can't speak to that specific item. I have a Gemini 8" powered speaker and it pretty nice.. BT works great, by the way. I liked it so much a I bought a pair of the 12" speakers for an event we were having.

The 12" were loud, but I think the 8" is a better deal- just about same volume. The 12" weren't bad, mind you. It's no JBL, but for my purposes- backgound music, they worked perfectly. Build quality was good- no visible defects or anything that looked bad.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I toured with the original Bose L1 system and two B1s for a few years and loved it. I’ve also gone the 2x QSC K10 route with a mixer, which sounded great but was a lot of extra space when traveling vs. the Bose line-arrays I’ve owned.

Can’t seem to find much about these...but could snag two for less than the price of one K10.2 or a Bose, but am I really “saving” if it’s not that great of a product and I end up having to upgrade it within a year or two anyways?
Old 11-25-2018, 06:38 PM

I've learned that the Gemini PA-300BT is basically the same thing as the Gemini WRX-843, which does have some videos/reviews posted:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.FsT577xq5IU

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...EaAktgEALw_wcB
Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 AM

No experience with the Gemini arrays, but I have a 10" Gemini powered speaker I picked up at SDOTD - the sound is very harsh. I wouldn't use it as a main speaker, but it's ok as a monitor.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-04-2018, 02:55 PM

The WRX-843 plus Bag is called the PA300BT and packaged for sale with "limited retailers" like GC and MF. At least, according to one store owner. Helping my buddy's wife pick out an Xmas gift to him as a surprise and researching line arrays. Of course, I always check AGF first to hear all forum members' feedback/experiences.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 12-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I went ahead and bought a QSC K10.2 during Cyber Week, but these still intrigue me. It’ll be interesting to see the reviews coming in on the sites which offered it at these low prices.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Default I Love Mine

I have one that I bought a few months back. I have used it for karaoke-style gigs and for a couple open mics. Plenty of people on those open mics with a guitar and mic. I've also done some guitar/sing and ukulele/sing numbers with it. Straight into the mixer for both mic and instruments.

The sounds was very good and carried surprisingly well into the crowd. Also, great and wide dispersion.

Pros:
Extremely easy to carry and set up. This cannot be overstated. It is so portable it is almost comical compared to the "regular" PA I use (which is 2x12" speakers, stands, power amp, cables, mixer).
Very clear sound. I don't know (or need to know) the engineering behind line array acoustics, but I trust my ears. It sounds great. Vocals sit nicely on top of the mix in a way that has often eluded me with traditional PAs.
No feedback. I set up and used it without monitors, to the side and a bit behind me, no feedback whatsoever. I'm not sure why, but it was fine. So, no need for separate monitor in this case.
Onboard echo and "EQ". These are a pro, but barely. The echo and EQ options (4 settings only) are OK at best. If I didn't have a mixer to put in front of the system (which I do) I would use the onboard stuff.
Good combination of inputs with the two channel combo 1/4-XLR, and the AUX/Bluetooth.....good combinations. Use it for anything.
Cons:
Location of the mixer. It is hard to get to on the back of the unit (and not the top). I had to keep kneeling down to adjust for others in the open mic. Not a huge deal but a little annoying
Onboard echo and "EQ". These are also a con. They kinda stink. Better than nothing, but not great. And the EQ especially can be necessary depending on instruments/voices/the room. As I mentioned above, I use a mixing board and am happy with the results.
Close dispersion can be odd. In the first open mic gig I did, some of the audience were close to the performer - like, VERY close maybe 5ft. I actually didn't put the column to its full height to compensate. When I sound tested at the full height, it projected the highs too far over my head. For my second version of this same gig, I used a small additional speaker (Kustom PA50) on the floor right by the performer to fill in a bit for this super close space. It wasn't totally necessary, but I felt it helped.

That's about it. I would definitely recommend it to others. My one concern is that I'm not familiar enough with it to know if it will cover all my gigs. I have a Karaoke-style performance coming up for a room of about 300 people and I am bit skeptical if it will be enough. I actually plan to buy another if it goes on sale again (got mine for $299 from Musician's Friend). I'm fully confident that two will cover any gig I'm gonna get.....and I honestly think even just the one will work for the time being.
Love the unit - recommended.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchman72 View Post
I have one that I bought a few months back. I have used it for karaoke-style gigs and for a couple open mics. Plenty of people on those open mics with a guitar and mic. I've also done some guitar/sing and ukulele/sing numbers with it. Straight into the mixer for both mic and instruments.

The sounds was very good and carried surprisingly well into the crowd. Also, great and wide dispersion.

Pros:

Extremely easy to carry and set up. This cannot be overstated. It is so portable it is almost comical compared to the "regular" PA I use (which is 2x12" speakers, stands, power amp, cables, mixer).

Very clear sound. I don't know (or need to know) the engineering behind line array acoustics, but I trust my ears. It sounds great. Vocals sit nicely on top of the mix in a way that has often eluded me with traditional PAs.

No feedback. I set up and used it without monitors, to the side and a bit behind me, no feedback whatsoever. I'm not sure why, but it was fine. So, no need for separate monitor in this case.

Onboard echo and "EQ". These are a pro, but barely. The echo and EQ options (4 settings only) are OK at best. If I didn't have a mixer to put in front of the system (which I do) I would use the onboard stuff.

Good combination of inputs with the two channel combo 1/4-XLR, and the AUX/Bluetooth.....good combinations. Use it for anything.

Cons:

Location of the mixer. It is hard to get to on the back of the unit (and not the top). I had to keep kneeling down to adjust for others in the open mic. Not a huge deal but a little annoying

Onboard echo and "EQ". These are also a con. They kinda stink. Better than nothing, but not great. And the EQ especially can be necessary depending on instruments/voices/the room. As I mentioned above, I use a mixing board and am happy with the results.

Close dispersion can be odd. In the first open mic gig I did, some of the audience were close to the performer - like, VERY close maybe 5ft. I actually didn't put the column to its full height to compensate. When I sound tested at the full height, it projected the highs too far over my head. For my second version of this same gig, I used a small additional speaker (Kustom PA50) on the floor right by the performer to fill in a bit for this super close space. It wasn't totally necessary, but I felt it helped.

That's about it. I would definitely recommend it to others. My one concern is that I'm not familiar enough with it to know if it will cover all my gigs. I have a Karaoke-style performance coming up for a room of about 300 people and I am bit skeptical if it will be enough. I actually plan to buy another if it goes on sale again (got mine for $299 from Musician's Friend). I'm fully confident that two will cover any gig I'm gonna get.....and I honestly think even just the one will work for the time being.

Love the unit - recommended.

It’s on sale for $299 today. Did you get a second?
Old 03-30-2021, 02:38 PM

I know this is a comment on a dead thread, but I am commenting as a PSA. I bought the Gemini WRX-843 six weeks ago as a refurb. When I opened the box the main unit ‘clunked’ as I lifted it out. Not a good sign. I had to open it up to figure out what was wrong. Woofer was partially attached by one screw. Got screws, fixed it. I have used it several times at home over the past six weeks for finger style guitar only at bedroom volume (gearing up for gigs). Now the woofer is buzzing terribly. They want me to pay to send it back - 25 lbs.

I now have a large paperweight. Learn from my mistake and buy a quality line array (eg., anything else).
Old 03-30-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
I know this is a comment on a dead thread, but I am commenting as a PSA. I bought the Gemini WRX-843 six weeks ago as a refurb. When I opened the box the main unit ‘clunked’ as I lifted it out. Not a good sign. I had to open it up to figure out what was wrong. Woofer was partially attached by one screw. Got screws, fixed it. I have used it several times at home over the past six weeks for finger style guitar only at bedroom volume (gearing up for gigs). Now the woofer is buzzing terribly. They want me to pay to send it back - 25 lbs.

I now have a large paperweight. Learn from my mistake and buy a quality line array (eg., anything else).
Well, I appreciate your "dead thread" input! I'm currently researching portable pa's for smaller venues

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 03-30-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
Well, I appreciate your "dead thread" input! I'm currently researching portable pa's for smaller venues
I see you're in my neck of the woods. I may have some gear you could use. PM me if you're in the market for well cared for used gear. I have mixers, PA speakers, a few portable systems, subs, mics, etc.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:39 AM

I thought I had posted updates on this thread or another, but can't find it ...

I picked up one of these Geminis during a SDOTD in 2020 for $299.

Used it in a large busy room (Christmas craft fair/farmer market) this past December. Worked with no issues.
Used it again this past Saturday at a small private outdoor party, again no issues. I use my Mackie mixer for reverb and EQing.
Both times I had the column set up just in front of me, a few feet to the side, and could hear myself easily.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-03-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I thought I had posted updates on this thread or another, but can't find it ...

I picked up one of these Geminis during a SDOTD in 2020 for $299.

Used it in a large busy room (Christmas craft fair/farmer market) this past December. Worked with no issues.
Used it again this past Saturday at a small private outdoor party, again no issues. I use my Mackie mixer for reverb and EQing.
Both times I had the column set up just in front of me, a few feet to the side, and could hear myself easily.
Old Thread...
I also picked up a Gemini PB300BT but in the "TO-GO" version
I basically hooked it up and placed it the same as you but my guitar and mic went through a TC Helicon Perform VG then into a Mackie ProFX6v3 mixer and it sounded wonderful to me, and out front... Makes me pretty sold on Column Arrays.
I wasn't as impressed with the volume when I took out the Mixer and went straight into the PB300 only using the Helicon..
So I've ordered a cloud lifter to see if I can get a hotter signal into the PB300 like when the mixer is hooked up, I'm just trying to keep the equipment down for when I haul it... If that doesn't work the Mixer stays in for sure
I picked up a Power station to run the Helicon and maybe the mixer...So I'll be 100% AC-Free... I'll do a review on it and my setup next weekend on my Youtube channel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y2X8MMV

Last edited by CASD57; 06-03-2023 at 09:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification