The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-11-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
A goo example of somebody playing a cheap top professionally is Jake Reichbart, who posts occasionally in these forums. He has played a low end Ibanez archtop for many years at his solo guitar gig at a high end restaurant. To him, as long as the neck is straight, he is fine. He only paid a couple hundred for it. I figure if it is good enough for a pro player like that, it is good enough for me. So not too long ago, I bought a used Ibanez AF95FM via the local Craig's list. This is an entry level instrument too selling for around $600-$700 new, and it seems perfectly fine to me.

The question becomes what does one really need to make music with?

That doesn't address the quoted post directly, but instead just gives us pause to consider what we really think we need.

Tony
Yeah I’m with ya. You play what you have available and enjoy.! Most those Blues and hill country Boys played what they could afford or acquire and they sounded great and recorded some of the very Earliest Guitar solos! When Dave Rawlings picked up his first 1934 Olympic they were Cheap!!! But Rawlings started a resurgence of Arch tops and prices have shot up.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:20 PM

Here’s Jimmy Driftwood/ who wrote Tennessee Stud’ and many songs that became known and played by countless artists. He’s holding a Guitar Made around turn of century by a old timer up in the hill country. Now some may consider this just a cheap Guitar —but it’s priceless! How many great songs were written on that old Pine Box? I believe That Guitar —resides in the Library of Congress. https://youtu.be/y1BiPbxX1YU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDD4034C-D2F4-4B2D-A2B0-2B030DF37F8A.jpg (58.8 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Sage Runner; 05-11-2022 at 08:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops