The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post
Just a well-established technique term that I made up a few minutes ago.

The photo showing proper thumb placement from the rear neck view is very unnatural feeling for a beginner. I remember trying to keep my thumb more or less perpindicular to the neck. Tough for me.

Kinda-sorta like standing perfectly erect whilst at attention. The tendency is to slouch. Which is where discipline comes in.
Do you mean "parallel" to the neck like in my pictures? If so, I'm a super-slouch myself! That, and I also tend to keep my thumb "hooked" around the neck to facilitate easier thumb-fretting

Hey, if it works and doesn't cause injury, it's all good, right?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Do you mean "parallel" to the neck like in my pictures? If so, I'm a super-slouch myself! That, and I also tend to keep my thumb "hooked" around the neck to facilitate easier thumb-fretting

Hey, if it works and doesn't cause injury, it's all good, right?
I noticed that in the image you put up, but I was far too polite to make mention of it.

Personally, I'm not too hung up on proper form and take a more or less pragmatic view. If you're making good music the way you're doing it, by all means keep on keeping on.

I chimed in about fret hand thumb placement because in my opinion it's the most straightforward way to remedy the problem described in the OP.

In the interest of full disclosure, I ain't as pure as the driven snow from a technique standpoint. I'm a pinkie planter who doesn't use his ring finger.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Just a well-established technique term that I made up a few minutes ago.

The photo showing proper thumb placement from the rear neck view is very unnatural feeling for a beginner. I remember trying to keep my thumb more or less perpindicular to the neck. Tough for me.

Kinda-sorta like standing perfectly erect whilst at attention. The tendency is to slouch. Which is where discipline comes in.
I just wanted to thank everyone who gives of their time and experience on these boards..as a newbie myself, I learn so much from the posts and photos...and drooling over others' guitars is fun, too! Thank you all so much for sharing your time, talents, and patience. I wish that I could send you all some cookies!

2006 Taylor 410 acoustic
2008 Baby Taylor
Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGirl2008 View Post
I wish that I could send you all some cookies!
Did someone say....

Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 PM

I think you might try a classical, nylon string for a while in conjunction with your steel string. The nylon is not only easier on your fingers, it has much wider spacing and also is easier on the tips of your fingers. I play a classical more than my steel string because it is so versatile. I do not, however let myself get too complacent and stop playing the steel string because it is very hard to go back to it after getting easy treatment from the classical guitar.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Did someone say....

I take it you like cookies.

2006 Taylor 410 acoustic
2008 Baby Taylor
Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I chimed in about fret hand thumb placement because in my opinion it's the most straightforward way to remedy the problem described in the OP.
Thanks for this tip! I've been having the same problem of accidentally muting strings with my fret hand in between a couple chords in a song that's been playing in my head for a few days. I've been getting frustrated that I can't play what's going on in my head, but I just tried it and noticed that I am being a "thumb slouch" changing between the chords.

So I simply paid attention to what I was doing with my thumb, made sure that it was in a good position and in no time problem solved!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 AM

I often leave the thumb curled up around the neck so I can mute the E string when necessary though, it's what one guy on youtube preaches
Old 09-17-2009, 03:26 PM

As others have said, use the tips of your fingers and make sure to arch them. Strum through the chord one string at at time, sounding each string to make sure they are not muffled. If they are, look at your finger position and adjust as needed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write