The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Default Good abrasive for polishing nut slots?

I took out a guitar I haven't played for a while and noticed that all the wound strings stick in the nut slot when tuning <PLINK!>. I have read about the string-and-abrasive method. I have Bon Ami, Soft Scrub, baking soda, and baking soda toothpaste available. It's a bone nut. Are any of this suitable?

I also have a set of 3M polishing papers, but I worry about making the slot deeper, and I don't want to do that! Suggestions appreciated, and thank you.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:19 PM

If the strings are old and tarnished, they could be oversize. If a new, replacement set of strings stick in the nut slots, the nut slots are the wrong size for the strings. It isn't a question of "polishing" them, but, rather, resizing them to suit the string diameters. One option is a $10 set of needle files. If you know how to use them, they will work quite adequately. If not, take it to a professional, rather than fool with inappropriate polishing compounds.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

A well sharpened "soft" lead pencil can be used to add graphite to the slots with great results, assuming the slots are not too narrow for the strings, which is not likely if the problem developed recently. If the nut is properly adjusted, any actual material removal (polishing) could easily cause you to need a new nut.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:41 PM

This nut was cut on a PLEK for 12-53 light strings a couple of years back. I stopped playing the guitar right after it was PLEK'd, and the strings are two years old.

While a little lube might solve the problem, it bothers me that the strings stick in the slots. Maybe it was cut incorrectly for light strings, or maybe the slots are too sharply cut at the entrances and exits.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Is the nut plastic or bone?? (Graph-tech, tusq, and similar are plastics.)

If a guitar is not used for a great deal of time, nut slots could possibly develop grooves from the windings of the strings due to the strings sitting in the exact same position in the slot over time. These grooves will be more likely with plastic than bone.

I'd be surprised if a plek machine can do as well as a seasoned top quality craftsman. Does a plek machine cut nut slots with variable curvature horizontally and vertically?? Likely not...

If you have a trusted craftsman near you, bring it to him/her for a look.

If the slots did develop slight grooves from static string pressure over time, they'll have to be VERY LIGHTLY filed to remove just the protruding portions of the grooves.

Pencil lead, as Bruce mentions, is a good option. I used to regularly use this trick in my jazz performance days.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM

Any fine soft abrasive ought to work. Toothpaste should be fine, and will leave your guitar smelling nice too. I use rottenstone, which can be gotten at good paint stores, but they sell it by the pound and that's an awful lot more than you'll need to polish one nut.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the good advice on the problem of sticky nuts. As it turned out today, I had to visit my repair person for something else, so I took the naughty nutter along and he put it right.

I was actually looking forward to trying the toothpaste trick…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
nut slots, polish