The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Earl Klugh - The Spice of Life

I'm not sure if there are any other Earl Klugh fans on this forum, but I thought I'd mention that he has a new album out entitled, "The Spice of Life".

My beautiful bride of 14 years surprised me with the CD a couple days ago. I believe she ordered it from his website and so it came with a nice note and autograph on the jacket.

This album along with many of his other smooth jazz albums has nice, pop-ish if not elevator-esque arrangements (I mean that in a most positive way) with nice bass lines, tasty drumming, synth'd strings/orchestra and of course wonderful, toneful, melodic, nylon string guitar. If you could somehow combine the DNA of Henry Mancini, Antonio Carlos-Jobim, Burt Bacharach, Stan Getz, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Laurindo Almeida and Chet Atkins you might be able to produce such a wonderful guitarist as Earl Klugh

I'm waiting for Earl to put out more albums like his last one - Naked Guitar - which was a master class in solo fingerstyle guitar. Until then, I will be enjoying The Spice of Life along with his many other great guitar albums. Hope you get a chance to take a listen.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I'm waiting for Earl to put out more albums like his last one - Naked Guitar - which was a master class in solo fingerstyle guitar...
Darryl
You turned my on to Naked Guitar a few years ago. I still listen to it all the time. Without question one of the all time great solo guitar records. Everytime I hear it I think how in the world did he get that tone! It's the most breathy nylon sound I've ever heard. It almost sounds like he's using bare fingers that are made of leather, but I read that he did in fact use nails on the recording. Truly steller playing and sound

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell