The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-22-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone live in New Mexico?

We are thinking of moving to NM in a year or so, wondering if anyone lives there and can give opinion, pro's/con's. We are semi-retired, looking around Santa Fe and surrounding areas, horse property preferable.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

No, but I love it! Sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:47 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

NM is beautiful if you love the desert. Climate is dry so it's great if you suffer from allergies, and the temps are usually warm. The people are typically friendly but life moves slow so don't expect anyone to be in a rush to help you. Santa Fe is only 25 minutes from Albuquerque if you need anything that Santa Fe doesn't have. Have you looked at Farmington, NM? It's only 30 minutes from Colorado, has rural horse properties surrounding and seems to have most everything in terms of shopping. Plus you'd have easy access to the fishing and outdoor activities that southern Colorado provides.

JR
Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Friends of ours who were long term residents of Albuquerque recently gave up and moved to Texas because the crime rate there is out of control.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...for-state-help

Farmington is a cool place but is a solid 3 hour drive from Albuquerque. And watch out for radar-equipped Highway Patrol hiding in arroyos along the way.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I rode my motorcycle across the top of the state on 64 this past
summer and stayed in Taos for a few days. It is real nice on 64
until you get near Taos, then it kind of straightens out and gets
flat.

I was on the road for two and a half weeks, the best food I
had the whole time was at a New Mexican place.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the tips and insights. We live in a desert here in CA and are not too much into nightlife at this stage. Will check out Farmington, thanks.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:41 PM

You might want to check out Corrales, on the west side of Albuquerque on the banks of the Rio Grande. Small town rural feel with an abundance of horse properties.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 PM

Been through NM a few times and spent a weekend there several years ago with friends who live about 7 miles NW of SF. NNM is very beautiful country, particularly, N to NE of Taos.

Dry is an understatement! I could feel the water being sucked out of me as I stood there.

I hope you like guns; NM is serious gun country.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:13 PM

We spent a lot of time in New Mexico - particularly in the Albuquerque area. Gave strong consideration to moving there. Loved Corralles. Always had to laugh at their road signs that warned of congested areas. Liked Santa Fe and it's surrounding areas a lot too. Taos was a great visit for us but the cold wouldn't work for us. Ultimately just decided not to move at all. Haven't been back in a while as our best friend in Albuquerque left the University there is has relocated to Tucson. We like Tucson a lot too. Good luck with your plans.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:58 AM

I grew up in NM, in White Rock (sleepy bedroom community built for employees of Low Alamos National Laboratory and their families). My parents grew up in Raton. Five generations of my family have lived there. I haven't resided in NM since '81 but I frequently return to visit friends and family.

Its a beautiful state. Everyone says it's a desert , but there is so much more. My hometown area ranges from 6,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level. You'll find forests of aspen, spruce and pine, a ski hill, hot springs, mountain streams, etc. The Rocky mountains start in NM. I spent many weeks of many summers in the Pecos up around Montezuma.

Its very popular with artists and movie stars, so housing and services are quite expensive. There is a large gap between haves and have nots. We started calling Santa Fe "Santa Fake" several years back.

Santa Fe was old when our constitution was written; Taos was even older. There are distinct cultures that have been there long before Anglo settlers showed up. People are mostly friendly but there is a resentment toward rich Anglo out-of-staters who have driven up the cost of living for the locals.

Don't be that white cultural interloper that moves in and starts wearing leather and tourquoise, hanging crystals and dreamcatchers in your car and lecturing everyone about native culture. Read Tony Hillerman's Navajo detective books. Also read "Red Sky in the Morning" and "So Far From Heaven". Bring lots of money, humility and sunscreen if you go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic