The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Headed to a gig shortly with my Taylor 814. I'm not sure some here would consider it a 'nice' guitar but it was expensive to me. I like how it plays and sounds plugged in so it's one of my main gigging guitars. That said, I follow the precautions noted above. I only have two guitars I don't use to play out and that's because they don't have pickups in them.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I suppose much of my paranoia is that on the resale market the slightest imperfection can often be highly scrutinized. I have to say I didn't really worry about such things in the 70's--and I think about times when players had essentially one instrument that got used for any and every thing. What say you--just get the instrument that you want, and use it for it's intended purpose--taking it out and playing?? Just like the old days?
While my severely car crash damaged Yairi commissioned from Kazuo was being restored I replaced it with a Gibson custom shop maple jumbo. The Gibson was as fine a guitar as any I've owned in 50 years. You're very right about the slightest nicks being scrutinized by potential buyers. When the Yairi finally came back home I put the Gibson up for sale. In the year I'd owned it it picked up a few microscopic dings in the top visible only at the right slant, in direct lighting. The back of the headstock, at the very top, sustained about an eighth inch chip through the finish when someone at a cafe I was setting up at dropped a wire chair he was taking off a table top nearby. It bounce on the floor and right into the guitar I was holding. Nothing serious, but I sure wish it hadn't happened. It became a major sticking point with a few potential buyers who thought it warranted around $500 off my price!

I had a major OCD all my life too about things like this eventually happening to nice, new guitars. When I got the Yairi back, which was 36 years old, the stellar sound it had before the wreck wasn't compromised in any way. The restorer did an unbelievable job with the crushed sides and back by meticulously airbrushing in matching woodgrain line through the repairs. They're virtually undetectable no matter how closely you look. The top, however, was a different story. It sustained numerous splits through the wood. While the restorer did a superhuman job of repairing them, several "scars" are apparent when you get close to it. The fact that he actually improved the sound of an already marvelous sounding guitar was cause for great excitement. My OCD was cured as soon as I first played the Yairi and I no longer am obsessed with potential damage to a fine guitar.

I traded the Gibson for a HD28 with the VTS torrefied top. The Martin owner noticed noticed the headstock chip and immediately pointed out a few dings on the Martin that weren't bad enough to dissuade me from the trade. I'm glad that with the restored Yairi and the Martin my days of acquiring new guitars have finally come to an end. Someday I'll give the Yairi away to it's next caretaker just like it was willed to me. The guy I traded for the Martin played the Yairi and commented "this guitar is priceless". He would've readily traded for it instead of the Gibson, scarred top and all.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I wonder if it’s my old one? D176R I believe. I custom ordered it new, and saw it for sale on the used market maybe 15-20 years ago.
No. I bought mine new in 1982. #97.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:10 PM

I don't have any problems with gigging using a nice guitar. Although I do try and be careful, and I keep an eye on the guitars while in a venue, especially if the crowd is rowdy and most of them have been drinking. I consider myself lucky; I've played many gigs over the years, and never had to deal with an accident, or for example, anyone unexpectedly jumping up on stage to serenade the patrons with one of my guitars. Jumping on stage - yes, but not with one of my instruments - I can move uncommonly fast when sufficiently motivated.

I played a really nice Guild on stage for nearly twenty years, and at the end, it was still relatively pristine. I took such good care of it that other band members used to tease me about it. I actually had more problems with practicing and rehearsal in crowded spaces, due to a lack of elbow room. (Watch out for the bass player - get back in your corner!) I finally, at one point, rented a warehouse, got permission to add some soundproofing, and solved that problem.

I'd much rather play a nice guitar on stage that I love, instead of using something that doesn't have the playability and sound that I prefer, even if I can very nearly replicate it with electronics and a cheaper instrument with a good set up. But I play a lot of acoustic gigs with minimal equipment, and my ears can tell the difference. The people listening almost certainly could care less about what I'm using, as long as it sounds good, but ... they aren't the ones that are playing. That's my job. Familiarity/sound of a good guitar (or not) can have an impact on the level of my performance. That might be a personal problem, and almost certainly is - but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

... JT
Old 02-22-2020, 03:34 PM

I've got three "nice" guitars. I'll take one out but I'm a bit precious about it. I'll even take it with me when I go to the toilet (in the case!) unless there's someone there whom I absolutely trust to keep an eye on it for me. And strangers have to pass a sort of vetting test if they want to play it (are they sober, do they look like they'll take care of it etc).

I don't know if that sounds kind of precious but I don't really care what other people think. There's been too many occasions when I've lent my stuff to people or let them use it and it's come back damaged.

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 03:37 PM

My 00015m is about as nice as I will risk leaving unattended for a few minutes in a pub. The Lowden is too nice and I also find the Hiscox case annoying to travel with by train, too big for the overhead racks.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:43 PM

Everyone's mileage will vary with this one. One man's "high end" guitar is a beater to someone else.

Many would consider the best guitars I own to be in the beater category. That's fine with me. I use my guitars to make music and make money. I'm not ashamed of any of them. All my equipment has paid for itself many times over and that's the way I like it.

If I won a fine guitar like a SCGC, Collings or an H&D - it would not get gigged.

But that's ME.

Everyone has to make that choice for themselves. As one of the responders stated, they had a guitar valued at right at 20K. If I owned such a guitar, I would sell it and buy a new Corolla. We all have different values and live in different financial strata.

I can say with certainty that i would not gig a guitar that I had to worry about and keep my eyes on during every minute of a gig.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2020, 03:48 PM

My simple one acoustic guitar life means I must gig with my nice 1996 Taylor 412. It has sustained some wear.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 02-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
My 00015m is about as nice as I will risk leaving unattended for a few minutes in a pub. The Lowden is too nice and I also find the Hiscox case annoying to travel with by train, too big for the overhead racks.
I wouldn't even do that. One of my nice guitars is a D15M. I've no doubt that to some people that's a beater but I think it's a fine guitar. I could get another one, second hand, for £800 - £1000 I suppose if I wanted to replace it. I just don't want to. It's a significant sum of money to me. I suspect it's a significant sum of money to most people.

It's no great bother to me to keep it with me. I expect some people think that makes me paranoid or mistrustful or weird or something. But if I don't take care of it then who will? When I'm out it stays in its case until I play it, then it goes back in and sits on the ground next to me until we leave. I don't leave anything else unattended in a pub or venue for any stranger to pick up or trip over. Why on earth would I do that with my guitar?

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
I wouldn't even do that. One of my nice guitars is a D15M. I've no doubt that to some people that's a beater but I think it's a fine guitar. I could get another one, second hand, for £800 - £1000 I suppose if I wanted to replace it. I just don't want to. It's a significant sum of money to me. I suspect it's a significant sum of money to most people.

It's no great bother to me to keep it with me. I expect some people think that makes me paranoid or mistrustful or weird or something. But if I don't take care of it then who will? When I'm out it stays in its case until I play it, then it goes back in and sits on the ground next to me until we leave. I don't leave anything else unattended in a pub or venue for any stranger to pick up or trip over. Why on earth would I do that with my guitar?
It’s a significant sum to me too and I don’t think of the guitar as a beater. I should qualify that most the time this is at open mics in a function room where I know at least a few people to keep an eye on it.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It’s a significant sum to me too and I don’t think of the guitar as a beater. I should qualify that most the time this is at open mics in a function room where I know at least a few people to keep an eye on it.
Next time you change the strings, try the Martin Eric Clapton strings. Not only are they a very good price, they sound really good on those M guitars.

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
Next time you change the strings, try the Martin Eric Clapton strings. Not only are they a very good price, they sound really good on those M guitars.
I’m using some D’Addario XT coated phosphor bronze strings I got for free just now, they’re pretty good and showing very little sign of wear after a month.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I’m using some D’Addario XT coated phosphor bronze strings I got for free just now, they’re pretty good and showing very little sign of wear after a month.
Free always sounds sweeter.

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 PM

Every guitar I own gets played at gigs. Yes they are very nice guitars and I am VERY careful with them. I started playing gigs at the ripe old age of 16. I am now 67. Over all those years and gigs I learned a few things. As said in previous posts if we are setting up or breaking down the guitar is in the case. Also, I never walk away where I can’t see my guitars. NO ONE is allowed near my instruments even if they are musicians. I am not there to jam with people. I am there to entertain the audience. Last but not least ALL of my equipment is insured against theft and damage at home and at gigs. It’s a very small price to pay for some piece of mind. This does not mean that my guitars don’t get a nick or a scratch here and there. 99% of the time the nicks and dings are done by me in some way or another. Now with all that being said this is only the way I approach playing out with my guitars. Above all else if you are uncomfortable playing your nice guitars out don’t do it!! You will for sure have a very nerve racking time so why put yourself through that. Enjoy your beautiful instruments in a way that is fun for you and puts a big smile on your face every time!!😊😊😊😊
Bose L1 Model 2 W/Two B1's
Bose S1 Pro
TC Helicon Play Acoustic
TC Electronic Ditto X2 Looper
TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster
Old 02-22-2020, 05:13 PM

You might compare it to having 2 cars.....one junker to park right near the supermarket entrance and leave at a train station, or your ‘nice’ car which you park way down the end of the car park on your own. And you come back to find a rustbucket parked next to your nice car at an alarming angle that you are kind of glad you didn’t see happening, maybe.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion