The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-07-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

If you are already familiar with the guitar, you could also consider the Emerald Amicus:

https://emeraldguitars.com/product/amicus-artisan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhsOsEJtVhk
Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Your best for the money as a starter is the Breedlove crossover FO. You get a good solid mandolin with the pretty shape but the o sound hole. Can be had new for less than $400. Might need a setup but mine was fine. Then if you want to upgrade it will probably be a while before you feel the need to.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I’ll weigh in... I was in your same shoes.

I ended up ordering an Eastman MD 304 from The Mandolin Store. Round hole.
My son bought the MD305... F holes.
I also bought a Bug Muddy M11... more mellow sound than the Eastmans, which have more CHOP

The Big Muddy is American-made by a real character... and each one has personality.

The Eastmans are also fantastic. They came with perfect setups out of the gate. I figured I’d try it out, and if I stuck with the instrument I could upgrade. I did stick with the mandolin, and my 304 has a k&k in it now too, it makes its way into about seven songs each gig.

I never felt the urge to move up. The Eastman 300 series are great.

Oh... and i can’t tell the difference between unplugged Eastman sound 304 vs 305. The 305 looks nicer I guess? Personal preference. No tonal difference to my ears.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:55 AM

If you're just curious, and don't have any plans to play it a lot, go for the lower end. I know that often it's wise not to go cheap and then then have to essentially throw it away to move up, but you can probably get something decent in the $300-400 range (inexpensive new or nicer used) that will be more than adequate for plinking around, or maybe throwing a few runs into a recording to round it out.

My own experience was to buy a lower-end Washburn A-style, around $300 iirc. Plays decently, sounds like a mandolin , and has done the job just fine even for a few songs live and adding a little mandolin spice to some other recordings.

If I ever decided to get into mandolin any more than that, I don't feel I've wasted too much money if I move up.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 PM

An interesting vintage Gibson compromise.....and inexpensive to boot:

https://www.elderly.com/products/kel...style-mandolin
Old 02-09-2020, 01:22 PM

Default My Kentucky KM500

My Kentucky KM500 was delivered last week.
Awesome mandolin.
The Kentucky KM150 is recommended for beginners.
You’d be happier with The KM500 or KM
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 PM

Hey, folks, I really appreciate all the info and suggestions! I've stayed pretty busy researching my options..

Other than picking or strumming some inexpensive and sometimes almost unplayable mandolins in a couple of shops, I'm a novice here...Without digging too deep, I'd like to find something of some quality that would help me start out and last for awhile if I stick with it...

Eastman seems to get some love here and other places I've looked, and I'm leaning towards an "A" style...

I've heard good things, so I'm thinking of a 304/305, or possibly spending a little more for a 504/505 model for the better tuners, gloss nitro finish and a hard bag...this seems to put me in the $500/$750 range...I'm thinking the extra $ for the 500 series would be well spent without stretching my budget too far...

Last edited by Denny B; 02-09-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
F styles look cooler, but A styles don't sound any different and they are less expensive.

Both F and A styles come in either oval-hole or f-hole models. The f-hole style is generally perceived as best for bluegrass players and the oval-hole for "Celtic", folk, blues players. You can play anything on any of the styles.

A-style mandolins usually attach at the headstock. There's plenty of room. Can also attach under the fingerboard if the instrument design allows that. Here's a video (not by me):

I would recommend an Eastman A-style, either the MD 304 oval hole or the MD 305 with f-holes. I checked two highly reputable on-line dealers, and they both price both styles at $510 inc. gigbag.

Frank, I've found the site MandoLessons, from that clip, and it seems like a great source for a beginner like me...very easy to follow and no ads...thanks for posting it...
Old 02-09-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Spend a little more than you planned, it will make up for itself in playability and you’ll be more likely to really give a go at learning the instrument. Oh, BTW, I’m a rock guitarist. No bluegrass, new grass, true grass here. Winwood, Zevon, Clapton sort of stuff.

Hey, Chickee...I've just joined a large mandolin site recently and was delighted to see all the folks there who, like myself, lean towards music other than BG played on the mandolin...
Old 02-09-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Frank, I've found the site MandoLessons, from that clip, and it seems like a great source for a beginner like me...very easy to follow and no ads...thanks for posting it...
Enjoy! The world needs more mandolin players!
Old 02-10-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
All good advice thus far. I came to mandolin from guitar a couple years ago and love it. My gigging mandolin is a Breedlove Legacy OF, and A style with F holes that is the best of both worlds IMO. They don't make them anymore so my mention of it is merely to add weight to the A style side of the equation.

There is less detail work in the typical A style so you get more for your money. There's a lot of love for Eastman here on the AGF,and I just bought an Eastman El Rey electric mando that is too much fun! Play some to get a feel for what you might like. Enjoy the ride, it's a great little instrument!
And...if you’re in a duet with a guy (leew3) who plays one, you can be rich and famous too!
Seriously, the Mando mixed with an acoustic guitar gets a lot of mileage at gigs. I love it and we try to incorporate it as much as possible in our arrangements.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Former Eastman (505) owner I got from the Mandolin Store. Great shop (though I just got an email they are moving from AZ to TN so not sure how much that, plus China situation impacts them now/yet).

The A series will save you money, but FWIW, there's a much bigger market for F-style models IMO/IME, so if you want to move on/up/out later on, the F will likely sell faster, especially a brand like Eastman. As my fiddling and mando days are behind me, I was able to get my money back, but it surprised me that it took a while to move the A. (It was also natural, so possibly a bit more of an odd-duck in that respect, too, but a very good friend had played a natural A, so that's what I got.)

Anyway, dittoing another point, I would stick with the f-hole models and the 14-fret joint, as that's what will be most common in almost any genre, save old-timey, or if you have a specific player to model that uses one, perhaps.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 AM

When I was first starting on mandolin, I bought an Epiphone model. It's fine for what it is but looking back, I wish I would have just waited for a used Eastman model. My friend has a 615 that she bought used for $900. It sounds incredible. If I were you I would look at either one of the 300 models if you want to save a bit or the 515/615 if you go F style.

From what I have been told, lower model Kentucky mandolins (under the 900 level) are made in a different factory and are not as good as lower priced Eastman models. At the higher end they are about the same.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

and in the FWIW department The Mandolin Store is relocating to Nashville so within a long drive for those of us in beautiful Ohio!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
and in the FWIW department The Mandolin Store is relocating to Nashville so within a long drive for those of us in beautiful Ohio!

I noticed that as I was checking out their website...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments