The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-26-2019, 12:00 AM

Default Removing and lubricating Truss rod nut

Hi all. I have a Yamaha CPX 900 Acoustic. Doing a bit of set up work with it and while the truss rod nut is not stuck, it is creaky when I turn it either way. Definitely needs a bit of lube I would say I am in a very damp humid tropical climate and possibly truss rod not touched for a long time.

The nut is at the Peg head end of the guitar, under a screwed plate similar to a modern strat. You need to remove the plate and put the allen key down the hole about 1cm. Will this nut come off or come out or is it not a nut at all but the end of the rod? I would hate to loosen the thing right off and not be able to get it back on or in again
Old 08-26-2019, 12:40 AM

Truss rods can often be one piece engineered units. They won’t disassemble.

If it not preventing good setup I’d leave it be.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:38 AM

A 2-way truss rod's nut doesn't come off. Don't know if yours is single or 2-way, but 2-way's the recent trend. I'd put a drop or 2 (max!) of 3-in-1 oil on top of that nut and let it soak in a bit, then loosen/tighten the nut 1/4 turn each way several times to work the oil down to the threads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair