The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-23-2019, 05:09 AM

Default How to clamp neck tight without clamps?

I need to glue and clamp my neck at the heel tight but all I have are spool clamps and can't fork out for new clamps anytime soon, is there any way I can make it work with spool clamps and maybe some rope or something? any suggestion is much appreciated, thank you!
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

If you have spool clamps, you have threaded rod, so all you really need to do is cut some pieces of wood long enough to span the joint, and put a pc of threaded rod at each end.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
If you have spool clamps, you have threaded rod, so all you really need to do is cut some pieces of wood long enough to span the joint, and put a pc of threaded rod at each end.
I didn't think of that thank you! my brothers just given me a few F clamps which would be better? is there a way I can angle the F clamps to get enough tension on the neck? I'm trying to get enough tension to close the gap in the heel, I guess a big bar clamp would be better
Old 08-23-2019, 12:26 PM

Exactly what joint is it that you are trying to clamp?
Old 08-23-2019, 02:49 PM

You could wrap a rope around the length of the body on the sides, and use wedges to tighten it to pull the neck in. I use the 'rubber rope'; a long strip cut from a truck inner tube, or you can use surgical tubing. I use the same stuff for putting on binding. Dry clamp everything so you're sure you've gotten it right, and even practice a couple of times so that you can do it quickly. If you're using hot hide glue you can pre-warm all of the parts (but not too hot!) which will extend your working time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair