The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2019, 02:18 AM

Default Wood choice for top bracing

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations as far as species of brace wood to use for a redwood top? Thanks
Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Light, stiff and split resistant. One that best fits that bill is spruce. Quarter sawn with no runout.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I agree with Charles, Spruce, in particular Sitka Spruce imho. Split the blanks on both planes for strength, crack resistance, and ease of carving. You’ll be glad you did!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 07-28-2019, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

I settled long ago on American Red Spruce for my bracing. This particular spruce seems to have less variation in density and stiffness than other spruces in my experience, making it easier for me to gauge the results when I am hand trimming the braces. Whichever wood you choose, you will want the highest quality you can find, and as perfectly quartered and grain aligned as wood can be.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:49 PM

My measurements suggest that all of the spruces vary a fair amount in density and Young's modulus, with no one being much better than another in that respect. Bruce probably has a consistent source. Spruce tends to be tougher, more split resistant, than redwood, fir, or cedar, so I'd go with spruce too. The species matters less than the density: Young's modulus tends to track density in the same way for all softwoods. Lower density wood will need to be left a little taller, but can end up lighter for the same stiffness. Cut from split billets and well quartered.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:24 PM

I have used one redwood top, which was on a retop of a Gibson J-100. That one has Engelmann spruce braces except for the upper transverse brace, which is black locust.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:22 AM

Thankyou gentlemen for your response and overall unanimous agreement
Old 08-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Just to throw another perspective in this discussion, McPherson use laminated spruce/hardwood/spruce for their bracing.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:17 AM

I tend not to think about it much but I suppose I should. On hand I probably have enough spruce bracing for 50 guitars, some of which was cut in the 1970's. It's all marked as to what species it is but I usually just reach into the stash and grab a chunk and use it regardless. For a while I would use Sitka on Sitka, Red on Red, Euro on Euro and so on. Why? I don't know. If it's Quarter Sawn spruce and has no defects then I use it.

The one redwood Dred I built I used Sitka.

The two guitars I am building now are Torrified Red Spruce tops and I am using Torrified Sitka bracing, just because.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixxer View Post
Just to throw another perspective in this discussion, McPherson use laminated spruce/hardwood/spruce for their bracing.
If you are going to go with laminate bracing, there's the use of carbon fibre, either as a sandwich or as an outer veneer.

Not the subject of this discussion, but I use mahogany braces for backs.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:02 AM

We once made up a sample of spruce/CF/spruce bracing, with the CF layer perpendicular to the top, when a student wanted to try it out. It was only marginally stiffer for the weight than an all-spruce brace (!), and would have been difficult to fine tune by removing wood from the top. CF/wood/CF 'I' beams, such as Smallman uses, with the CF as flanges with the wood (balsa) as a web, can be quite stiff for the weight, but impossible to change usefully once they're on. My understanding is that he fine tunes by adding mass, which sort of negates the effort of using the I-beam in the first place.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I have used one redwood top, which was on a retop of a Gibson J-100. That one has Engelmann spruce braces except for the upper transverse brace, which is black locust.
Interesting..I am trying a black locust fingerboard and bridge for this build
Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Try fuming the locust with ammonia: it gets very dark, and the color goes deep.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Try fuming the locust with ammonia: it gets very dark, and the color goes deep.
Thankyou Alan , I've been reading about different ways to darken it throughout the wood. I will research the process and find what I need to try this..will household ammonia do the job I wonder?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:35 AM

It worked for me. It might be possible to get 'janitorial grade' stuff that's stronger, but 'blueprinter's ammonia' is hard to find any more. I was worried about the R.H. in the bag when I fumed the wood, but a hygrometer didn't register anything terribly high. I guess that the partial pressure of the ammonia kept the percentage of water vapor down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair