The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 AM

Default My new D'Angelico EX-63 has arrived!

I got it yesterday and still cannot believe how beautiful it sounds and how gorgeous it looks. I have never played an Eastman and a Loar, therefore I can only compare its tone with a Godin 5th avenue that I had a few years ago (only acoustic), a Gretsch New Yorker, and several Epiphone Century archtops, "f" hole and round hole, that I played extensively at a local music store. In my humble opinion, there is no comparison. Note: I play only acoustic. This guitar sounds loud, authoritative, with a fantastic natural reverb, and it is very balanced, with focused basses and ringing trebles. More over, it arrived perfectly set up and flawless. The guitar is made in Korea and I was surprised at the level of precision in every detail. It has a super low strings action, almost electric (4/64 low E and 1.5 high e at the 12th fret) but it does not buzz, even with a flatpick, proof that the fret job is awesome (jumbo frets).
Only problem for me, I thought it had a 1 3/4 nut width but it is 11/16 instead.
All my guitars have a 1 3/4 nut width. But fortunately, there is room to cut a new bone nut with a slightly wider strings spacing, with no risk to have the low E and the high e slipping off the fretboard. This will be the first and only modification that I will do (actually, that my tech will do). Last but not least, I purchased this guitar from an official D'Angelico dealer in New York, as NOS New Old Stock. The guitar has never been played before and it wasn't even put on display. I paid less than $900.00 for ir instead of the usual 1400.00 and could not be happier. Here are detailed pics.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Congrats on your new guitar! It is a beauty...love the art deco aesthetic! Enjoy!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 AM

This is a cool model that I was not familiar with...nice big body, even as a laminate I'm imagining it has a lot of sound...

Any way you can do a video demo?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM

I am glad you are pleased with this beauty and, as we kind of row the same boat ( 1 3/4" nut width),
even happier you testify we can put a larger nut on it.
Thanks for sharing ! ;-)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:41 AM

Very, very cool. Congrat's!

Use medium strings and a thick pick to get it really singing.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Upon further inspection, I noticed that on the two sides of the neck, where the bone nut is located, there are light cracks on the ivory binding (maybe caused by the pressure of the nut under strings pressure?). I am attaching two photos.
Is it something I should be concerned with ?
Thank you for your opinion!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Ouch ! What I see is a poorly fitted nut that exerted inappropriate pressure when inserted in. Not sure it would be an issue though.
Some nut are tightly inserted needing no glue while others are quite loose needing only to be glued.

ADD on : may be you should contact seller and send the photos...

Last edited by mawmow; 03-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:44 PM

I did contact the seller, he says that is not uncommon, he has seen several guitars with these light cracking at the binding, he believes that the cracks only affect the clear coat and do not affect stability. Still, it is bad to see such a poor nut job on a guitar that has a list price of $1400... I have owned $300 guitars with perfectly fitted nuts... I also sent photos to D"Angelico asking for their opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops