The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

For me it's quite simple. I'm not a stellar player. I'm much more comfortable playing certain chords than others. So, if the song is written in E flat, I'm playing it in D with a capo on the first fret.

And yes, the key DOES make a difference in singing. The highest note of a song written in G is much higher than the same song written in E flat. I'm a baritone / bass. A capo allows me to change the key of a song without learning new chords.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Because drop D with a full capo on second or standard with a partial capo on the second fret (strings 6-2) sounds so good! Just ask Tommy E or Stephen Bennett

Both offer sweet tones and voicing, the former just because, the latter you don't really need the capo (the fingering can be re-arranged) but you sacrifice that sweet spot without it.

Just my dos centavos on just two examples of "why".
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I have been playing for just about a year and a half and I will be happy when I'm at the point where I know what everybody is talking about. I'm 66 and so much to learn and so little time.
Amen brother
Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
...I do not understand how ones voice can be in a specific key...
I don't think the OP has grasped the concept of a vocalist's range.

Moving on...

I don't use a capo too often, but aside from the very legitimate reasons already posted, there have been accompaniments that I've developed that I'm very happy and comfortable with, but over time I found I preferred to sing that song in a higher key. Rather than rework everything, which still may not retain the voicings I had, it's just easier and plainly far more practical to toss a capo on and sing away.

So that's what I do. :-)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
For me it's about being able to get voicings of chords that I would otherwise physically be able to in that key. Especially up the neck. An example would be my tune "Blues For Freida" http://acousticguitar.com/eric-skye-winter-namm-2016/ I wrote that tune in the key of G minor, but playing it as if it is E minor allows me to get voicings I could not be able get in G minor without capo. Hope that makes sense.
Great tune I just listened to some of your stuff on Spotify too, really enjoying it. Thanks for the great music!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 PM

I only use a capo if I need an open chord voicing that can't be easily barred. Like something that relies on an open G chord shape. It shouldn't be a crutch for playing in unfamiliar keys.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Holy mackerel! When people talk about favoring certain keys for certain songs, the issue is the range of notes, not sharps and flats! It's really a matter of having the highest (or, sometimes, lowest) notes in a song be within one's range. Freddie Mercury had a 4-5 octave range; most amateur singers have maybe one or two (more likely one, not two) nice-sounding octaves. When you figure that a conventional song rarely uses more than an octave, you will do well to play and sing it in a key where you can readily handle the high notes. If you have a good 2 or 3 octave range, this becomes a on-issue. Most people don't. There are many other reasons to use a capo -- I honestly couldn't imagine that the question was even serious, at first (sorry) -- but for singers, it's range. Match the range of notes your voice handles to the range of notes in the melody in a given key.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I understand the "how" and I own several nice ones.
I know that some song lessons call for a capo and some of those songs do sound better with a capo.
But I have never understood why else to use one.
I do not understand how ones voice can be in a specific key.
I watch everyone from Johnny Cash to Neil Young playing open position chords with no capo.
I have been playing 4+ years and just don't get this part at all.

So enlighten me you guitar music wizards.
Watch and listen to Clarence White, always 2nd fret, also watch and listen to Tony Rice

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 07-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Never said that I don't want to.
I said I don't understand how or when to use one.
Actually you said you did understand " how" but that isn't important.

But the "when" is good question and actually fairly easy to answer particularly if you sing.

Just take any song you like to sing and play it in the first position open chords... then just use the same chord shapes/progression and start by trying it with the capo on the first fret. See how it feels to sing then just keep moving up one fret at a time until you find a position ( some times first is the best suited to you ) that just feels right with the combo of the sound of your guitar and your voice.

As for the " why" do not listen to the supposed "purist's" who say just use bar chords .... because of the laws of physics dictate you cannot do with bar chords what you can with do with a capo. With barchords you have 3 fingers and a thumb with which to add embellishments, with a capo you have 4 fingers and a thumb.... END of Story .

In general (but not always) for finding what suits you best will be in one of the first 4 or 5 positions .
But for example I play Lyle Lovett's "If I had a Boat " with the capo on 5 or 6 or 7 depending on which guitar (In this video he plays it on 9 ) If you listen to the intro you begin to get some notion of "why" a capo

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-15-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:26 PM

This guy uses a capo. Any questions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7k9OznTU0U
Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM

The OP has several nice capos but can't explain why. There's a logic to that I must now resolve. Perhaps a few minutes and a snack...
Old 07-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Being a Rhythm Mainly, and not to walk over others, I learned to bar chord all over the fret board,,, Like doing a "G" up at the 12th fret...
Using a capo is so much easier
Old 07-15-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Another reason...The D shape played with a drop-D capo (leaves the low-E string open) at two is arguable the most badxxx E chord there is!
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm with you Ed.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:45 PM

I use a capo a lot for the reasons everyone has stated. But I use it mainly because I play some chord shapes better than others!! Barre chords aren't my fav and I can avoid them a lot of times by using capo in different key. I am willing to live with the extra dents on my frets! Yes, I have been "accused" of being lazy but like most have said I see it as a tool to make the "job" easier and thus for me more fun. I wouldn't use a hand saw to cut a 2 x4 if my power saw would do the job!!

Besides if Tommy Emmanuel uses a capo on some occasions can't be all bad??!!
Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Oh really?? You should ask Neil.

I'm just going to ask this... What song is Neil playing there? He hardly ever uses a capo and the songs he does use it on he hasn't played during the Earth tour... Any ideas?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion