The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2002, 11:15 PM

Question C. Fox guitars????

Does anyone out there have experiance with C. Fox guitars? I'm considering trading my cedar top 710 for a C. Fox sj-x to get a more "agressive " sound as the Taylor has a very sweet, quieter voice and I want a guitar that will shine with heavey/hard strumming. I can't find much info on these guitars and wanted your opinions about them.
PRS McCarty
Fender American Custom Classic Strat
Benavente 200
Old 12-18-2002, 11:46 AM

I played a CFox Sonoma about a year and a half that I fell in love with. Probably in the top three best sounding/playing guitars I've ever held...

Steve
Old 12-18-2002, 01:33 PM

I don't know the current details of Charles Fox's guitar building operation in California, but I believe there are two kinds of C. Fox guitars these days - ones actually made by C. Fox himself at his workshop in California and lower priced "affordable" ones built to the C. Fox design and with the C. Fox name on them made by Pantheon guitars in Maine which is run by Dana Bourgeois and Patrick Thiemer. Pantheon also makes Bourgeois guitars.

If anyone knows the details for sure I would be interested in hearing.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 12-19-2002, 06:31 AM

In my lifetime I have played (extensively) 3 C.Fox guitars...to a fault they were exquisite. Clear, loud, beautiful tone and Tayloresque quality. Without a doubt, Fox is a high-quality guitar.

IMO, for the money, if you can find the "old" C.Fox made by Charles (see post above) they are a tremendous value...lowered only by "name recognition" and "resell issues"...two formidable issues for certain. Still, for sound and quality, they compare to just about any guitar on the shelf. Check out the shop tour at www.frets.com

I'd love to hear what eventually happens on this quest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification