The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Found this picture on the interweb - one of the very first 6 guitars made by Taylor next to this new 816ce Builders Edition.
Bubs -- you are the historian. When is the book coming out?
Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 PM

I love Taylor’s...but that soundport is just plain ugly in my opinion. Maybe it works fantastically, but I wouldn’t buy based on looks alone. Just my two cents.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-22-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
I love Taylor’s...but that soundport is just plain ugly in my opinion. Maybe it works fantastically, but I wouldn’t buy based on looks alone. Just my two cents.
I think it looks cool, but I wouldn't buy it because I don't see how it would increase the volume to the player because of its location.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Found this picture on the interweb - one of the very first 6 guitars made by Taylor next to this new 816ce Builders Edition.

I like the old one.
Giddy Up! Me too!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 PM

It's so you can shake your pick out when you drop it inside the guitar.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
But in the end when he played a bit, if the sound port had any effect at all, I feel that it made the Taylor guitar sound more like a Taylor than a Taylor should.
How can you evaluate the sound port either way without being the one to play it? What he said makes the most sense: play it and cover/uncover the soundport and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
Well the sound hole in the center of the guitar serves a purpose of projecting sound outward. Wouldnt it make more sense to have a soundport that faces outward as well? Seems like it would have a better purpose for someone that is playing for an audience.
You do realize the sound ports are designed for the benefit of the player, not the audience.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Boy, you guys are harsh!

As for me, I’m going to reserve judgement on this new soundport design until I get a chance to play a guitar that has one for myself. Unlike what seems like everyone else, I can’t see much point in criticizing either Taylor or Andy Powers for trying new things: I mean, honestly? How does it harm any of us if Taylor puts a soundport where none of us of us would expect to see one? I mean, seriously, does that actually shake the foundations of your worldview?!?

Not mine. If it works, more power to them.

Short version: it doesn’t trouble me in the slightest when Taylor does something that I don’t expect. In fact, I admire them for it.

After all, the last I checked, the Taylor Guitar Company has not been sending gun thugs to drag reluctant guitar owners to music stores to buy ANY of their products. Participation remains entirely voluntary.

Wade Hampton Miller
I’m with you there Wade. I think it’s cool they keep introducing new ideas even if they go a bit over the top at times in their marketing (worst example being the V-bracing campaign). I love the aesthetics of the cutaway on the new 816 but the sound port looks like an afterthought. Hope it works.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-22-2020, 10:35 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s HIDEOUS! I don’t see me returning to the Taylor family anytime in the future and I’m just keeping my GS Mini around for my son.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-23-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s HIDEOUS! I don’t see me returning to the Taylor family anytime in the future and I’m just keeping my GS Mini around for my son.
By the looks of things you are not alone. It’s pretty clear that they did not hit it out of the ballpark with this one. Again, I’m speaking purely about aesthetics. The video seemed to indicate that there was at least some function there. That’s what my ear heard.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-23-2020, 12:22 AM

Huh? I thought a sound port was supposed to point up for the player to hear. In my opinion this thing is just a very ugly gimmick. I’ll see if I change my mind when I play one. Even if I like it, it will still be downright terrible looking.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 02-23-2020, 01:30 AM

Yer being kind ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Lkristians; 02-23-2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:31 AM

Having owned an Ovation, a RainSong, and now my first guitar ever with an offset sound hole I'd say that I'm pretty accepting of new concepts and, for me, the tone of a guitar is of way more importance than looks. This guitar sounds fantastic to my ears, but does it sound 4K fantastic? Not at all, not in my opinion. And how much that sound port adds value... I don't care. There are a lot of great options out there at this price point, heck- maybe 3 or 4 guitars.

Just my dos centavos and worth just about as much.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:32 AM

I'm a Taylor guy but I think it looks ugly. I'll reserve judgement til I play one though.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
To date, the K14ce is the only one that appeals to me out of the whole V braced bunch. The only reason I have not purchased it yet is I feel like I'm going to miss the next greatest thing,or find out I was a guinea pig in a overall failed lab experiment. Worse yet, It may sell before I come around to it. I guess what I'm saying after all this writing is my confidence is shaken in the company I like alot. I guess I have to get it out of my system. And no. I am not fulminating, just expressing my passion for TAYLOR guitars. No hate exists here.
If the K14ce appeals to you and it is what you want, then maybe that is the one you should get. Let Taylor continue experimenting and "pushing the envelope". Unless you intend to sell the purchased K14ce any time soon, what Taylor does after your purchase shouldn't affect you.

The question then would be, does the K14ce seem like a failed experiment to you? If not, then maybe it is right for you?

As for me, I got the K14ce, am happy with it, and am finding it interesting seeing what Taylor comes up with next. Since I am no longer in the market for another guitar, I have the luxury of sitting back and watching the parade. If Andy Powers hadn't been able to experiment, would the K14ce have come about? To me, it is the most desirable Taylor, and that is why I grabbed it.

I don't see "hate" expressed in your post, but instead concern for where your needs fit in Taylors plans for the future. To me, rather than worrying about that, I would grab the right product when it comes by.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion