The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 04:26 PM

Default Martin D15M vs Larrivee L-03R

I know it's not a fair comparison in that they are very different guitars. The reason for the thread is that I have the D15M and recently I've been thinking about flipping it for the Larrivee.

Anyone had both? Anyone got any wisdom to offer?

Aw heck! It's the internet. I'll take groundless speculation as well.

But please remember - punctuation and grammar are important.

I found that out when I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.

Mark Twain

Last edited by Lakewood_Lad; 02-22-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:40 PM

Lakewood my Bro!

I have (or have had) both Martins and Larrivee guitars over many years and in several models of each.
Martins are, for the most part, wonderful guitars. Although I have not had the D15M
Larrivee guitars are (dare I say) always wonderful guitars with spot on set up out of the case
You can’t go wrong either way but when you compare pricing and the fact the they are both top quality instruments.......the Larrivee is clearly the better value.

Blues
Old 02-22-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
Lakewood my Bro!

I have (or have had) both Martins and Larrivee guitars over many years and in several models of each.
Martins are, for the most part, wonderful guitars. Although I have not had the D15M
Larrivee guitars are (dare I say) always wonderful guitars.
You can’t go wrong either way but when you compare pricing and the fact the they are both top quality instruments.......the Larrivee is clearly the better value.

Blues
Can I ask you why? What's better quality on the Larrivee?

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Lad, I’ve never owned a Martin D-15M but have played plenty of them. They’re fine guitars but in my experience the L-03R is a more versatile musical instrument. There are more tone colors available for the player to use, plus the L-03R also has a wider range of playing attacks that sound good on it.

So you can go from light, bare-fingered fingerpicking to using a flatpick to strum a powerful rhythm part on the same guitar on the same strings with the same setup, and both will sound equally good.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-22-2020, 04:50 PM

It does.

Thanks Wade.

I've got an offer from ebay on selling fees this weekend. I guess the D15 is going up tomorrow!

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I had an L03R , and of the dozen or so Larrivees I've owned, that was my favorite

ps...I was definitely watching where I put my commas
Old 02-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

One more L-03 fan fan here.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-22-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
It does.

Thanks Wade.

I've got an offer from ebay on selling fees this weekend. I guess the D15 is going up tomorrow!
Well, there’s no guarantee that the L-03R you get will be a great one. I’ve owned three L-03’s - an L-03W in black walnut that I wish I still had, an L-03BW in Australian blackwood that I bought long distance that I then discovered to my dismay was the single worst-sounding Larrivee guitar of any model that I’ve ever played, and the L-03R that I still own today.

So as good as they normally are, there are a few dogs floating around. But the L-03R is probably the most reliably good-sounding guitar that Larrivee makes.

Hope this helps.

whm
Old 02-22-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, there’s no guarantee that the L-03R you get will be a great one. I’ve owned three L-03’s - an L-03W in black walnut that I wish I still had, an L-03BW in Australian blackwood that I bought long distance that I then discovered to my dismay was the single worst-sounding Larrivee guitar of any model that I’ve ever played, and the L-03R that I still own today.

So as good as they normally are, there are a few dogs floating around. But the L-03R is probably the most reliably good-sounding guitar that Larrivee makes.

Hope this helps.

whm
I have one in mind but I'm going to go and play it before I commit.

I've been looking at a lot of guitars recently and I've had a bit of an itch for a while. I've also got a couple of solid Ibanez acoustics to sell as well which will add to the kitty. I've got my eye on a couple of Lakewoods - a parlour and a a concert - as well as the Larry. I'd also like a Yairi parlour but the one I favour is in France and I don't want to buy without trying it. I'm thinking of taking a motorbike to France this summer so if it's still available maybe I'll go and try it then.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say in a rambling, roundabout way is that if the Larry doesn't sound good to me then I have other options. I've bought guitars without trying them in the past and mostly I've been very lucky but I don't want to do that anymore.

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 06:00 PM

So are you in the UK then? You’re rather more casual about popping over to France than most of us in North America tend to be.

At least on a motorcycle - there’s no Chunnel linking us to France, and so far as I’m aware there are absolutely NO plans to build one!!

whm
Old 02-22-2020, 06:10 PM

Just wait. Our current Prime Minister will probably commission a feasibility study into an Atlantic bridge before long, and then another one to the moon. He spent £46m of public money on a(nother) bridge over the Thames and not a stone was laid.

He's now looking at building another one from Scotland to Northern Ireland. The supporting towers will have to be higher than the Eiffel Tower and it will go through an underwater trench full of dumped munitions and radioactive waste that cannot be disturbed. The consultants have all ordered extensions to their houses and new swimming pools.

But yeah. I'm in London. Can put the bike onto the train or ferry and be over there in no time. The big shame is that from next year there will be passport control and immigration checks.

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
Can I ask you why? What's better quality on the Larrivee?
LakeWood,
Perhaps My comma was misplaced or my wording was not consistent with my thought pattern.

If I may More carefully rephrase and say this;
The general quality of the Larrivee and Martins I own or have owned over the last 50 years (as applicable considering the time frame) are on par with each other as is the Quality of materials and construction methods.
In my mind the Better value of the Larrivee lies in the fact that a great value can be had with the Larrivee should one choose a Matt finish and know that tuner replacement is preferable.
The high end Larrivee instruments are on par in every aspect (including Price) with Martins.
The one big difference.......Out of the case Larrivee guitars are set up way better than most Martins. Just my opinion based on the instruments I have purchased new.
That said; A Larrivee is not a Martin, nor is a Martin a Larrivee
Got into a rant there but thanks for your consideration

Blues.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
LakeWood,
Perhaps My comma was misplaced or my wording was not consistent with my thought pattern.

If I may More carefully rephrase and say this;
The general quality of the Larrivee and Martins I own or have owned over the last 50 years (as applicable considering the time frame) are on par with each other as is the Quality of materials and construction methods.
In my mind the Better value of the Larrivee lies in the fact that a great value can be had with the Larrivee should one choose a Matt finish and know that tuber replacement is preferable.
The high end Larrivee instruments are on par in every aspect (including Price) with Martins.
The one big difference.......Out of the case Larrivee guitars are set up way better than most Martins. Just my opinion based on the instruments I have purchased new.
That said; A Larrivee is not a Martin, nor is a Martin a Larrivee
Got into a rant there but thanks for your consideration

Blues.
Okay. That makes sense. I appreciate it and agree with you on that score.

I bought a Larrivee OM-03 and as well as being the most comfortable neck on a a guitar that I've ever had, it was also the most easily playable out of the box.

The Martin needed to have the saddle shaved and a fair bit of mucking about to make it comparable. No wonder the guy sold it to me. The action was far to high, he couldn't do anything with it and unlike me he was too mean to pay a luthier. It plays like butter now but I've been playing them both tonight (while watching a truly terrible teen slasher movie) and there's no doubt the Larrivee is the better guitar.

Mark Twain

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion