The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 06:31 AM

Awesome. Thanks all. Will try Twin Town then. Daves is great and got my Custom shop 000 there.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Awesome. Thanks all. Will try Twin Town then. Daves is great and got my Custom shop 000 there.
Twin Town would be my recommendation too. I doubt you find even a single Yamaha there--but there are several Guitar Centers in the Twin Cities, and if check their web site with a zip code filter you may find what's in stock at each of them Yamaha-wise.

Twin Town a good selection of Taylor, Martin, and Seagull models and a new very nice acoustic room if you go in the off hours. I wish they carried Eastman at Twin Town.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-21-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Do consider Willie's, though. They take in trades and in the acoustic room, you never know what you will find. I went in a few years ago to look at a Larivee P-09 parlor guitar they had listed on their web site. They also listed a Huss & Dalton 00 12 fret (not the SP with the slotted headstock), and their site said it has a 1 11/16" nut. I was reasonably sure that wasn't right, so I took a look at it too.

It turned out that I didn't care at all for the neck on the Larivee, but the Huss & Dalton has a 1 7/8" nut with a 2 5/16" saddle string spacing - essentially a steel string version of a classical guitar - just what I was looking for. It was used, so I didn't have to pay new price for it.

In short, you never know what you will find, but everything they have is decent or better quality.

Depending on what you want to see and how much time you have, I would consider Willie's after some of the other shops already recommended because those recommendations are spot on.

As an aside, the Guitar Center in Maple Grove has the best selection of higher end Taylors among the Guitar Centers around town, if that is what you are interested in. I can't say it is better than Twin Town because I have not been there in a while. Twin Town's site looks quite promising, so I would certainly take the recommendations from the other posters here. I plan to get in there again sometime soon.

All these shops are great to deal with.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 PM

Good to know on Maple Grove! Brother lives in Lake Elmo and I have 4 hrs to kill while he teaches lessons. I usually hit Woodbury area etc. Haven’t been to Willies so maybe after he’s done later afternoon. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Good to know on Maple Grove! Brother lives in Lake Elmo and I have 4 hrs to kill while he teaches lessons. I usually hit Woodbury area etc. Haven’t been to Willies so maybe after he’s done later afternoon. Thanks!
Have fun and we will be waiting for an NGD post. :/

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-21-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman at Twin Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Twin Town would be my recommendation too. I doubt you find even a single Yamaha there--but there are several Guitar Centers in the Twin Cities, and if check their web site with a zip code filter you may find what's in stock at each of them Yamaha-wise.

Twin Town a good selection of Taylor, Martin, and Seagull models and a new very nice acoustic room if you go in the off hours. I wish they carried Eastman at Twin Town.
They used to carry Eastman when they first came out. I guess they had issues with the fragility of the nitro finish checking on new guitars, so they dropped the line. Quinn Violins (Fret Central) has a fairly wide selection of Eastmans - acoustic, electric and mandolins. Plus - exceptional staff.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
They used to carry Eastman when they first came out. I guess they had issues with the fragility of the nitro finish checking on new guitars, so they dropped the line. Quinn Violins (Fret Central) has a fairly wide selection of Eastmans - acoustic, electric and mandolins. Plus - exceptional staff.
I noticed when I was there yesterday at Fret Central, that they also have a McPherson Touring, unless somebody has bought it since then.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-21-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
For some time I've had this note pinned to the back of my mind that I have to check out Fret Central sometime in hopes they have one of the Eastmans that interest me (mostly interested in their small bodied 12-fret line).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-21-2020, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Last time I was there, there were more archtops's than acoustics. But they've been adding more all the time. You can drool over one or two of Tim Reede's beauties too!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
For some time I've had this note pinned to the back of my mind that I have to check out Fret Central sometime in hopes they have one of the Eastmans that interest me (mostly interested in their small bodied 12-fret line).
I was there a couple of weeks ago and gave the e20p and e10p (sunburst) a whirl. The e10p was excellent!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Twin town guitars. Martin Gibson Taylor. Nice selection great people.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:11 PM

Twin town was great. Paul was super helpful and kind. Enjoyed trying many Grand Pacifics I haven’t had the opportunity to test drive before. A Martin Authentic D28 1937 was gorgeous. They had a Taylor Custom GS Cocobolo that really Turned my head! A visit to Edina GC was meh, more because of player noise. A good outing and hope to return with something when ready.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion