The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-22-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Strings for a lighter touch

I’ve settled in on Knobloch CX actives Carbon medium-high tension trebles. I love their sound, but I find that I need to have a fairly aggressive picking style to get them to sound their best.

Are there any suggestions for strings that might be more responsive to a lighter touch while still maintaining that bright, crystalline tone?
Old 02-22-2020, 09:39 AM

My initial suggestion is to try the Savarez Cantiga 510AR normal tension sets with Alliance trebles or the Oasis GPX+ normal / high tension string sets.

Both sets are considered to have some of the brightest loudest carbon treble strings out there.

I'd personally stay away from trying D'addario classical's because brightness / volume isn't their best feature.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
My initial suggestion is to try the Savarez Cantiga 510AR normal tension sets with Alliance trebles or the Oasis GPX+ normal / high tension string sets.

Both sets are considered to have some of the brightest loudest carbon treble strings out there.

I'd personally stay away from trying D'addario classical's because brightness / volume isn't their best feature.

Dave
I love Savarez strings!
Old 03-07-2020, 11:46 AM

Depends on the top of the particular guitar. Higher tension strings can "choke" a vibrating top. In my own experience low to med tension strings drive a thin top compared to higher tension strings.

Last edited by Dogsnax; 03-08-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:56 PM

There is no way anyone here can gauge exactly what YOU mean by "a lighter touch." Some string manufacturers offer a tension rating in pounds per set, such as "79.9 lbs." (La Bella 850 Golds,) or else "97.5 lbs." (Gallistrings Genius Carbonio GR95). I pay close attention to these numbers, when offered. But none of the guitar string manufacturers actually compare with each other, in an accurate way, their specific MEASURING methods. So, many of us just sample to blindly buy this or that set of strings based on some other guitar players' ebullient, hyperbolic reports. We hopefully find something that both our hands and our ears want to buy again for our specific application. It costs some extra money in experimentation, but the results are usually satisfying.

Last edited by FrankHS; 03-07-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:43 PM

I played normal tension carbons a titaniums for years. Then on a whim I ordered some Augustine Imperial reds for my Oribe, surprise surprise, they sound wonderful on my Oribe. Nice, open, clear tone at all volume levels. On a Fleta copy I found the Augustine golds, higher tension, seem to behave themselves a bit better than the carbons that I had on it. It is a cross between personal taste and the requirements of the guitar, experimenting with different strings is fun. Even if you may have guitar that may like a mix between high tension bases and normal tension trebles, by experimenting you may be surprised by what works for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical