The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Fretted E string buzz

Hi all!

I have a buzz that I can't figure out. My guitar is a late 70s dread in nice shape. There is a buzz on the 3rd fret ( number 1 E string) Happens when I put my finger on it for a G chord. The action is on the low side but there is no other buzz anywhere on the guitar.

So, I press the string right behind the 3rd fret and it rattles or buzzes and is almost a dead note when I pluck the string. However, if I flex the string slightly inboard (1/64 inch) on that fret while I pluck, the string rings clear.

The strings are fairly new. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM

Look at the third fret for fret wear.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM

I don't see or feel anything weird on the fret, it appears normal but I am no expert on frets.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 PM

Either the third fret is a little low or a fret below it is a little high.
Check out the fourth, fifth, and sixth frets, those are the most likely.
If the third fret is low, all the frets below it may need to be lowered.
It's hard to say what needs to be done without examining the instrument, it may be as minor as a few strokes with 320 grit on the high fret, but lowering the high fret may just chase the problem down the neck.
et al
Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 AM

Also, your 3rd fret end may be slightly loose.

When did you most recently have fret work done??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-01-2015, 09:35 PM

i bought the guitar used about 3 years ago. I haven't had any work done on it and do not know the history. If the fret is loose, what is the best way to tell? Can I push on it? It doesn't seem obviously loose.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 AM

Default similar issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
Hi all!

I have a buzz that I can't figure out. My guitar is a late 70s dread in nice shape. There is a buzz on the 3rd fret ( number 1 E string) Happens when I put my finger on it for a G chord. The action is on the low side but there is no other buzz anywhere on the guitar.

So, I press the string right behind the 3rd fret and it rattles or buzzes and is almost a dead note when I pluck the string. However, if I flex the string slightly inboard (1/64 inch) on that fret while I pluck, the string rings clear.

The strings are fairly new. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
My issue is similar, but almost more mysterious. High end OMC, bought new 4 years ago. Great guitar. But lately, an interesting problem. All the strings on all the frets ring completely true. However, when pluck the high E on the 7th fret while simultaneously holding down the 8th fret on the A string (even when I'm not plucking the A string), the E string has a strange metallic rattling sound. Take my finger off of the A string and pluck the E, no rattle sound. Very bizarre. it is the only un-pure sound on the whole neck and has to be that exact combination.

Driving me crazy.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 AM

Larry, do a search on "back buzz" and remedies thereof. Slight adjustment of the truss rod or raising the string height at the nut ever so slightly will remedy it.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
i bought the guitar used about 3 years ago. I haven't had any work done on it and do not know the history. If the fret is loose, what is the best way to tell? Can I push on it? It doesn't seem obviously loose.
It may be a good idea to have a trusted local pro to give the guitar a full looking over. Sometimes movement can be seen when frets are loose, other times movement is hard to see but loose frets usually make a different sound when tapped with a hammer.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
My issue is similar, but almost more mysterious. High end OMC, bought new 4 years ago. Great guitar. But lately, an interesting problem. All the strings on all the frets ring completely true. However, when pluck the high E on the 7th fret while simultaneously holding down the 8th fret on the A string (even when I'm not plucking the A string), the E string has a strange metallic rattling sound. Take my finger off of the A string and pluck the E, no rattle sound. Very bizarre. it is the only un-pure sound on the whole neck and has to be that exact combination.

Driving me crazy.
It is caused by sympathetic vibration of the e note on the a string. Charles pointed out some information for you to find the solution.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Larry, do a search on "back buzz" and remedies thereof. Slight adjustment of the truss rod or raising the string height at the nut ever so slightly will remedy it.
Thanks Charles!

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Very similar thing happened to me with a new guitar. I heard a slight rattle when I hit the low E fairly hard when fretted for a G chord. No rattle/buzz hitting an open E. I was convinced it was in the bridge, but it ended up being a high 3rd fret that needed to be leveled, crowned and buffed. Tweaked the truss rod a smidge too. Minor detail that drove me crazy. A good luthier diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes and fixed it for $30.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair