The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2002, 04:49 PM

Default The DM Alchemys don't last long

At least for me they didn't. I tried the GoldBronze and they went dead after 3 days (2 hrs/day). They lasted longer for me than the Martin SP+ (1 day, what a joke, the uncoated SP last longer ), D'addario EXP PB (2 days) and GHS Infinity Bronze (2 days) coated strings I've tried but they weren't even in the same ballpark with either Elixirs (2-3 wks) or the D'addario EXP 80/20s (1 wk). As you can guess I have extremely acidic sweat so your mileage will vary from mine.

GL
Old 12-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Geez, you go through strings like smokers do cigarettes. Expensive habit! Do they make an 'acidic sweat patch'?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:30 PM

Gordon, I assume you wipe down the neck and strings after you play? Do a search, I think there was a thread about this a while back -- even Uncle Bob chimed in, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:55 PM

Joe,

You betcha. Wash hands, wipe strings, the whole nine yards. Unfortunately, wiping down strings doesn't seem to do anything to improve the life of coated strings (makes sense since you are wiping gunk off the coating not the metal). My guess is the Alchemys only have coating on the wrap wire just like everyone else's coated string except for Elixir which coats the finished string. Coating the wrap wire before its wound onto the core wire still allows gunk to seep in between the windings - at least that's my theory.

Because of my condition, I can't wear most metal jewelry such as rings, watches or necklaces. I get a laugh at people who say they have bad aciditic sweat and can kill uncoated strings in a week. I kill 'em in two hours max. I'd be thrilled if they lasted a week on me.

GL
Old 12-18-2002, 08:19 PM

For one thing, don't be playing my guitar! There's no way I could afford new strings every two hours!

Chris

2003 414CE-L3 "Welcome Home" (Mahogany/Cedar)
2002 Busted Baghdad Baby (Retired)
2000 Martin D16-GT

User ID #1745

Old 12-18-2002, 08:32 PM

Wow, Gordon, That would be a problem.

See if you can get a hold of Gibson hydrophobics. They do something different in their coating. HUGELY expensive, but hey, if it works for you, might well be worth the $25 or so per set.

http://strings.gibson.com/strings/hydrophobic/

Last edited by meridian; 12-18-2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GordonHLau
Because of my condition, I can't wear most metal jewelry such as rings, watches or necklaces. I get a laugh at people who say they have bad aciditic sweat and can kill uncoated strings in a week. I kill 'em in two hours max. I'd be thrilled if they lasted a week on me.

GL
Wow!! If we ever meet face-to-face, remind me NOT to shake hands with ya!!

Seriously, though... it's unfortunate that some folks are that acidic... much worse than being left-handed in a right-handed world, amongst other things. I guess even gold jewelry is out of the question, if it's anything less than (an impractically soft!) 24k, huh?

Don't you have problems with the B and (high) E on ALL string sets??

One of the things I've noticed when I try out guitars at some of the "local" shops is the "feel" of the B and (high) E strings... rough and gritty, even on guitars with Elixirs, in nearly every case. On my guitars, which I play almost daily, those strings are smooth and slick, and they remain so until I decide it's time for some new strings. Anyway, it makes it hard for me to try out a new guitar in the store, unless the stings are pretty close to brand new... it's a "feel" kinda thing, to me!

I'd think that the string companies would "get a clue", and find a way to coat that core wire AND the B and (high) E wires... maybe some kind of epoxy (like many states coat rebars and dowel rods used in highway construction, to combat salt corrosion and resultant concrete spalling) or a bonded polymer coating? It seems that "the holy grail" of guitar strings is a blend of Elixir's "core protection" and everyone elses' "string feel" (that comes with coating the wrapping before it's wound onto the core).

I don't know about the Gibson hydrophobics... it appears that the polymer is applied to the finished wound strings, with no additional consideration given to the B and (high) E strings. Sounds kind of like the Elixir approach, without the eventual flaking of the GoreTex tube coating?

Who knows... maybe someday!

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 12-20-2002, 03:06 PM

Default The GoldPhos are even worse...

Great sounding strings for the 1st hour but died extremelyquickly after that. Played them for about 2 hours last night and an hour this morning and they are now completely dead. I can get noncoated strings to last longer if I use Fast Fret. Big dissappointment. Overall, for the coated strings I have tried, I would put the Alchemys behind the Nanos, Polys and EXP 80/20s but ahead of the the Infinity Bronze, EXP PBs and SP+.

I also didn't realize that the Hydrophobics coated the finished string. I might have to give them a try (the $20-25/set turns me off though). I also have to check out StringLife which is a polymer that you spray on to uncoated strings (the plain strings also) that supposedly protects the strings like coated strings. I might have to look into that too since I also eat away at the plain strings too (I have to change the plain strings twice a week when using Elixirs).

GL
Old 12-20-2002, 03:18 PM

Wink

Hey Gordon, how are you doing? I don't know if I told you that I did get the Ultrasound amp and ext. cab. and have been using it regularly. It is working well for me.
ednotes02
Phil.4:13
'98 514 ce w/Baggs iMix
Rockbridge Dread BRZ/Adi w/Baggs Anthem
Schertler Unico amp
Michael Tuttle Guitars Tele & Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification