The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2020, 09:59 PM

Folks earn their livings performing work, not discussing schedules and workarounds and favors just this once...I can easily see a luthier offering take-it-or-leave-it terms, as he's just too busy doing actual work to dance around rearranging workflow to indulge an impatient wannabe customer.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Folks earn their livings performing work, not discussing schedules and workarounds and favors just this once...I can easily see a luthier offering take-it-or-leave-it terms, as he's just too busy doing actual work to dance around rearranging workflow to indulge an impatient wannabe customer.
What world do you live in? Not the same one as me because in mine most people work on a schedule/deadlines. People saying the OP is selfish or unreasonable probably have a cache of guitars.

If you really want it done in less time you could contact Clay at St. Cloud music down here in SA. If he knows you're coming from Austin he'll probably do it same day and he is GOOD.

Some guitars
Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 AM

It's pretty simple: vote with your feet and dollars.

Every guitar tech around the world is different. Not just in skill, but in how they choose to handle their scheduling. Being fortunate to live in a city with literally hundreds of guitar techs (Los Angeles) I've seen everything from ones who are all up on social media and will e-notify you for anything, to the curmudgeonly old fella whose definition of "Outlook" isn't the email and calendaring program, but how he thinks the weather's gonna be tomorrow. But he could probably diagnose what's wrong with your guitar just by looking at it.

Find the one you're comfortable with, who does good work and is able to vibe with how you want to be scheduled, and stick with him/her.

And if you live in a one-luthier town...well I wouldn't use the strategy of going in there and telling them how they can do their scheduling better. I'd build the relationship in a more positive manner.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-10-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Wow, harsh words. I'd hate to hear that defense from a car mechanic, as I imagine you would, too. If that's what I got, then I'd have to go somewhere else if I had alternatives.

In most service circumstances, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the customer to politely ask if there's a way to rush the job without having to give unsolicited instructions on how to run his/her business. Doesn't mean the customer's impatient or is some "wannabe customer".
Old 09-10-2020, 09:46 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
....In most service circumstances, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the customer to politely ask if there's a way to rush the job without having to give unsolicited instructions on how to run his/her business. Doesn't mean the customer's impatient.....
Seriously? The customer will dictate the car mechanics schedule?

Apparently, I guess I grew up in a different generation.

OK BOOMER

MGF
Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Seriously? The customer will dictate the car mechanics schedule?

Apparently, I guess I grew up in a different generation.

OK BOOMER
MGF, requesting a rush is not requesting anything complicated or ridiculous. If the mechanic says, "It'll be done Wednesday", it's quite normal to counter, "any chance it can be finished Monday or Tuesday? I kinda need it." That's quite normal.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
MGF, requesting a rush is not requesting anything complicated or ridiculous. If the mechanic says, "It'll be done Wednesday", it's quite normal to counter, "any chance it can be finished Monday or Tuesday? I kinda need it." That's quite normal.
And the mechanic would reply, sorry, Wednesday is the earliest i can get it fixed. If you have a problem with that, take it elsewhere.

The shop is taking care of your car or guitar (an important utility item)

Why would you want to be a MULE to someone that is fixing your item?????

MGF
Old 09-10-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
And the mechanic would reply, sorry, Wednesday is the earliest i can get it fixed. If you have a problem with that, take it elsewhere.

The shop is taking care of your car or guitar (an important utility item)

Why would you want to be a MULE to someone that is fixing your item?????

MGF
It's not an aggressive demand. It's an *ask*. A polite ask at that in the way I worded the example. The mechanic can say "no", or the mechanic can say "yes". If it's a "no", then, yes, consider taking it somewhere else, but the ask is just not outlandish. If you've never asked for moving up a delivery date for something, I'd be very surprised.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It's not an aggressive demand. It's an *ask*. A polite ask at that in the way I worded the example. The mechanic can say "no", or the mechanic can say "yes". If it's a "no", then, yes, consider taking it somewhere else, but the ask is just not outlandish. If you've never asked for moving up a delivery date for something, I'd be very surprised.
Normally, i go to reputable and dependable mechanics (technicians).

I take their word, I don't have any reason to haggle on a few days, if they deliver quality work.

I must live in a different world that I grew up in. Sure, I might question a delay and then receive a response to why it may take longer.

When I need to swap out my timing chain on my car? Do I squabble that the labor costs are too high? Do I squabble that my car will be in the shop until the following day?

My motto is, if you want the job done right, follow directions for the maintenance person that is responsible for the work done on your item (instrument or car)

I'm out of this thread.

Seems there's a generational disconnect in expectations on service (and quality of service)

Maybe folks these days are okay with mediocre service and more interested in fast turnaround time.

MGF
Old 09-10-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I'm out of this thread.

MGF
I've seen you write this before. I feel sometimes that yours is a gimmick account, just trying to stir things up with comments and opinions meant to annoy.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 AM

There is no wrong or right here -- in so far as the service rendered meets the needs of the customer. As evidence from the shared experiences in this thread, there is a fair amount of variation in how luthiers/techs operate their business and some offer very fast turnarounds.

Personally, I think a two-week turnaround is just fine. More than that would be pushing it for my comfort level and if I did repair work, I'd try and manage my workload so that customers wouldn't be without their guitars for any longer than that. Some folks might be able to shorten that time or implement a technology solution that improves their workload but I wouldn't bother with said solutions because two weeks is okay with me.

The practical advice and wisdom here is to just find a store that meets your needs and expectations. If you need a super fast turnaround, you will have fewer options but I'm sure larger cities will accommodate you.

-----

To the OP, the reason why two weeks is kind of an industry standard is because of the variability of the tasks a repair person might see. It is much easier and simpler to just run a business where folks bring stuff to you and you manage the workload and keep it under 10 working days.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 09-10-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Thank you for a first-person account, Simon. I have twice waited 5+ months for neck resets done by Martin authorized repairmen. Sending either back to the Martin factory would have taken even longer. Two weeks?

And I fully realize that comparing neck resets to a simpler set up is apples and oranges, so everyone can re-sheath the long knives.....
Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

A business can run their business any way they see fit. You can take your business anywhere you see fit. If you want your guitar worked on by one of the three or four top shops in your area, you have to play by their rules. I'll venture they all know the guys who are the real pros in town, and I'll bet they get taken care of. You might not like their policies. I'm sure there is someone somewhere in that town who is sitting waiting for more business, but would you want that someone working on your guitar?

Make an appointment? Know how many people would make appointments at four shops and take the first available? Bet they would cancel all the rest wouldn't they?

There is no incentive for a shop that has more business than they can handle to improve service. That's just the way it is. Major work? It'll be months most likely.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Thank you for a first-person account, Simon. I have twice waited 5+ months for neck resets done by Martin authorized repairmen. Sending either back to the Martin factory would have taken even longer. Two weeks?

And I fully realize that comparing neck resets to a simpler set up is apples and oranges, so everyone can re-sheath the long knives.....
The feller I go to (a martin authorized tech) seems to do neck
resets in batches... If you bring him a guitar for a neck reset
when he's about to do a batch, you might get it quick... not so
quick if you bring one right after he's just done a batch...

I guess there's set-up involved in doing resets, I guess they use
steam and probably other stuff that's not "out and ready" all the
time.. so batches makes sense...

When he did the neck reset on my $100 plywood 1970s Japanese
"guitar of quality " he told me "well, it's not worth it, but I'll be
doing some resets soon"... Ah well... it still sounds plywood, but
it plays grrreat and was ready in just a few weeks.

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion