The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 04:15 PM

I’ve been skeptical about a big bump in sales/interest — I’d thought much of that perception was due to supply constraints — but I did find that article earlier and found it interesting that young folks are indeed picking up guitars despite a trend away from it in a lot of popular music. I hope the momentum sticks — I can think of worse ways for folks to spend time and money.

I’ve been doing what I call “guitar chats” over Skype with two of my wife’s brothers. I don’t want to call them lessons because I’m not getting that detailed/involved in terms of practice/progress, but I’ve been doing an every-other-weekly chat where I go over something like open chords, strumming, bar chords, et cetera. It’s been fun for me to try and get more guitar playing in the family and I can reuse the materials I’ve been creating to help other family members and friends get started.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I’ve been doing what I call “guitar chats” over Skype with two of my wife’s brothers. I don’t want to call them lessons because I’m not getting that detailed/involved in terms of practice/progress, but I’ve been doing an every-other-weekly chat where I go over something like open chords, strumming, bar chords, et cetera.
While lessons via Skype/Zoom sound like they've been working out well, and probably have reduced barriers for people wanting instruction, I do miss in-person get-togethers to jam especially with people I haven't played with before. I'm still doing a decent job social distancing IMHO, so I've avoided these jam sessions. I suppose now's the time to hone my chops and see how well that works for me when/if the pandemic situation changes for the better.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM

Default yup

Another market looking up is used sales. Labor Day weekend gave some serious players time to search out CL and find my offering!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I think this will be short lived.
A major economic depression will be upon us soon.
Many will be unloading vintage and other sought after used guitars

The enthusiasm for purchasing new guitars does not seem to be valid.

I thought I would break even on a recent sale and still ended up with a fairly large loss.That was a Martin dreadnought junior, not a high end.

Our daughters 100 year old excellent violin remains on consignment for one third of the appraisal.

Sweet water sound offered a 37 per cent discount off full retail price on a recent new Martin.

I doubt they would do that if GC is selling at full modified price.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I think this will be short lived.
A major economic depression will be upon us soon.
Many will be unloading vintage and other sought after used guitars
I have seen a number of vintage Martins offered at normal to lightly soft prices. I have the impression a half way decent bid will be accepted. I've seen a number of people on AGF selling down their collections of guitars. There are various reasons of coarse. The past couple of months feel like a pause waiting to see which way the winds going to be blowing. Reverb has 19,000 used guitars for sale.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-08-2020, 07:42 PM

I have added 2 guitars to my collection during the covid thing.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:59 PM

Default The Covid Guitar Boom is real...

I worked from home for four months during the height of the shutdowns, and I almost bought a Deering Goodtime banjo on an impulse. I had it in “my cart” online and was about to make the purchase but decided to sleep on it and give myself a few hours time to think before I threw my money at the thing. The very next morning, my refrigerator died.

Guess where that money went. [emoji24] #newfridge

Last edited by Lauren_WarEagle; 09-09-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Major bummer! Banjos are so much more fun than refrigerators. In fact, almost anything is more fun than a refrigerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
I worked from home for four months during the height of the shutdowns, and I almost bought a Deering Goodtime banjo on an impulse. I had it in “my cart” online and was about to make the purchase but decided to sleep on it and give myself a few hours time to think before I threw my money at the thing. The very next morning, my refrigerator died.

Guess where that money went.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:24 PM

Locally in South Africa, they have been busy, stock is low on most items i have been after like Gibson j45, Martin D18 etc , Fenders also maybe a few electrics on the wall.

This is in 3-4 different shops mainly mom and pop stores i support.

The lower end Ibanez ranges, squires and such seem to be fine and in supply, Albright not as many as normal.

Local Martin importers said probably end September to get a new shipment.

There is however a lot of the X series and Road series available.

Taylors, always plenty, as it seems to be the main line for the shops I frequent.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:04 PM

Guitars maybe, but I wouldn't mind a dollar for every power tool they have sold!

Next door, the guy is stuck home and has a mission to possibly cut his car in half and then his house in half! That what it sounds like anyway, no idea what he is doing.

Across the road, they guy has a new power washer and has power washed his whole 2 storey house, the garden, cars, fence every day or so...

Only guitars I have heard are mine.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Guitars maybe, but I wouldn't mind a dollar for every power tool they have sold!

Next door, the guy is stuck home and has a mission to possibly cut his car in half and then his house in half! That what it sounds like anyway, no idea what he is doing.

Across the road, they guy has a new power washer and has power washed his whole 2 storey house, the garden, cars, fence every day or so...

Only guitars I have heard are mine.

BluesKing777.
There was a news article on TV here during the first Melbourne covid lock-down - online sales of home gym equipment had gone up 300%.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post

Guess where that money went.
Congrats on the new banjo!

Good luck with the new diet
Old 09-09-2020, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Major bummer! Banjos are so much more fun than refrigerators. In fact, almost anything is more fun than a refrigerator.
Maybe, but refrigerators sound better than banjos...
Old 09-09-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
There was a news article on TV here during the first Melbourne covid lock-down - online sales of home gym equipment had gone up 300%.
So good deals on used home gym equipment and guitars in the future!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
So good deals on used home gym equipment and guitars in the future!
We're gonna see a lot of ripped, thick-thighed guitarists at 2021 bluegrass jam sessions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion