The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Default S Yairi S22..1981..George Lowden's Supervision... SOLD ...

From 1980 to 1985 George Lowden had his Lowden Guitars built by the
S Yairi team in Japan.....all with George's designs, specs and supervision.
Under the agreement, the guitars had either Lowden or S Yairi on the headstock, both built exactly the same. You read it correctly, a 1981 in near mint condition......couple of tiny dings on top...it's looks, feels, and plays like new.....stays perfectly in tune all the way up the neck...I love that.....a finger stylist's delight...................this model would be today's O model, in fact an O22, Cedar over Mahogany.....very light build ... beautiful tone...volume galore...responsive to the lightest touch.... wonderful sustain..... plenty of bottom from this Jumbo size and yet balanced in a way to be as creative as your playing style demands......everything you read about Lowdens is what this guitar is.....woody and warm, but the very present mids and treble sparkle to go along with it....if you already love Lowdens, or if you're thinking about your first Lowden, give this guitar some serious thought, you won't be disappointed..... this is a lot of guitar for the money...period! There is no doubt, I will regret selling this S-22.....a finger stylist won't let it go once they've played it!

Nut: 1 3/4
Width @ saddle: 2 3/16
Lower bout: 16 3/8
Upper bout: 12
Depth: 4 7/8
Original case...excellent on inside (see pics), beat up on outside

$XXXX .. $XXXX...I pay shipping to 48 states .. PayPal preferred

PM with questions.....easy google search for S Yairi building Lowdens! I learned about them here on AGF.

Last edited by krugjr; 10-23-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

...............New Price................
Old 09-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Wowee-zowee!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

For anyone looking for that big open Celtic Harp tone, lush overtone rich and bold this S22 S.Yairi is as good as they get . Master Luthier built. It is an immaculate Yairi /Lowden built instrument. This is right there with Lowden O size guitars..
The fret work and bridge plate are as smooth as silk inside. Save yourself LARGE $$$$ and own a piece of Master Luthier Sadao Yairi legacy.. Check out the stunning Brazilian headstock overlay AND the 5 piece neck. The best tuners I’ve ever had the pleasure to turn..!
Old 09-15-2020, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

oh yeah, rumble, you speak the truth! people can discuss "value" of a guitar based on the name on the headstock all they want, but whether this guitar has the name S Yairi or Lowden on it, it doesn't change the quality of this instrument.....how it is built, how it sounds, and how easy it is to play.....I'm not even primarily a finger stylist, but I'm still so tempted to keep it for my "unplugged" guitar anyway, because none of the many 4000-6000 guitars I've owned have had the tone of this S22.....with a pick and my style of hybrid rhythm, it sounds wonderful, and I have to pretty much palm-mute it to tame it.....put flesh to the strings and the tone is angelic, off the charts gorgeous....cedar over mahogany Jumbo, light as a feather, and you'd never know it's almost 40 yrs old unless you were told (or looked at the case...ha...ha..) I play it every night before I turn in...put away the pick, just put a light touch to it, and it's magic!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 PM

Just like to chime in as I am VERY familiar with the earlier ( this is getting late! )
Yairis. I actually like the Sada guitars better than the Kazuo or Alvarez-Yairi ones.
Very well made, great woods, and they had the lam process down pat. Cannot go wrong with the quality.

As a side note during this same period they were making Bell Westerns and such for Bozo Podunavak (sp.? ).
Exceptional.

I had a S Yairi knockoff of the 0-16 NY Martins. I had played 3 different era ones and the Yairi looked, played and sounded better than any of them. I would be all over this one, but am far from a jumbo kinda guy!

Last edited by okeem22; 09-16-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

thanks, okeem.....I chose not to clutter this listing with all the links to the history we're discussing, figuring those interested in Lowdens from 80-85 have already read all about it, or have googled it since I put my S22 up for sale.....but I will clutter it with one paragraph.....
George "perfected" his O model (Jumbo) in the mid 70s while pretty much still building one at a time and learning his trade.....he knew he needed a team to give more people access to his guitars so he hired 4 and began teaching them guitar building skills.....but the demand for his guitars was growing and he had to grow with it, so he made the connection with the S Yairi team that had been building high quality instruments for decades already........with George's designs and his supervision, the S Yairi team then showed George how they could build a lot of his guitars and keep the craftsmanship at a level equal to or even better than those George was building one at a time......George was now expanding his talents as a guitar builder by witnessing how master craftsmen do their thing...George was in his early years of learning his craft.....S Yairi had already mastered it.....the Lowden designed guitars from Japan from 80-85 are superb instruments!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

...............Deleted...............

Last edited by krugjr; 09-21-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

..................Deleted......................

Last edited by krugjr; 09-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

...............Price Drop............
Old 09-26-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeem22 View Post
Just like to chime in as I am VERY familiar with the earlier ( this is getting late! )
Yairis. I actually like the Sada guitars better than the Kazuo or Alvarez-Yairi ones.
Very well made, great woods, and they had the lam process down pat. Cannot go wrong with the quality.
Just my two cents to correct a wrong information often seen when speaking of Japanese built Lowdens.

None of them was made by Kazuo Yairi!
It's not even quite sure Sadao and Kazuo were actually related. Some people say Kazuo was Sadao's nephew but it might be an urban legend

In 1980, when George Lowden granted license to the Sadao Yairi company in Nagoya, Sadao was already retired and his son Hiroshi was in charge.
About 5000 guitars were built between 1980 and 1985, all of them in Nagoya at S.Yairi's workshop.

When the guitar market began to slow down, Hiroshi Yairi decided to move production to a big factory that built guitars for other brands. George Lowden was concerned about quality control and he prefered to break the license agreement and bring his businness back to Northern Ireland.
2015 S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce)
2020 Jérôme Lair French Romantic guitar (Yew/Spruce)
Old 09-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I don't see any wrong info here.....I believe okeem was simply saying he liked the Sada "guitars" better than Kazuo or Alvarez-Yairi "guitars" (not Lowdens) just that he prefers the build quality in those years of the S Yairi team over the others.....
Old 10-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

....................bump....................
Old 10-07-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
I don't see any wrong info here.....I believe okeem was simply saying he liked the Sada "guitars" better than Kazuo or Alvarez-Yairi "guitars" (not Lowdens) just that he prefers the build quality in those years of the S Yairi team over the others.....
You are correct. The point I was attempting to make is this- there is no reason to have concern with quality or fit and finish, with either Sada or Kazuo. And as most MAY be familiar with A/Y or K Yairi guitars, Sada a little more obscure. They are at least equally as fine as Kazuo’s . I think for the price one can’t do much better, particularly the 70’s to very early 80’s ones.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

thanks, okeem.....great value indeed.....does anyone here own a 1981 Lowden Jumbo, Cedar over Mahogany in mint condition? what's it worth? just curious...
then the conversation can go on from there.....I dropped the price one last time
.......now you can get a new case.....really wish you finger pickers, especially you Lowden and McIlroy owners, could see and play this one....solid top, solid back and sides.....it's probably meant to just stay in my possession, based on value alone.....we'll see.....

Last edited by krugjr; 10-12-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars