The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 AM

I had a chance to play an E20 00 at Martin Music in Memphis (which always has a good acoustic collection). Had the neck been just a tad less chunky I'd own it; it was a great little guitar with tremendous volume and a nice clean tone.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCypert View Post
I auditioned the E10ooS/v this weekend. Was phenomenal. It's a bit rough in the binding and finish and not just because they are going for distressed look. But that thing was louder than most J45's I've played in stores.

Was much like a normal guitar when strumming and then could also be super sweet when playing softer. I keep thinking about going back to pick it up...
Wow, that's good to hear! At the end of the day, I just want it to sound good; fit and finish are secondary.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda Old View Post
I love that song by Neal Young but I have no idea what it means. I always thought it might just be jibberish. Nevertheless, It's one of my all-time favorites.
It was an especially great song back in the day with a bit of herbal influence, turned up loud.
Ahh, you're referring to the lyric in my signature. I've been a Neil Young fan my entire life, and "Don't Let It Bring You Down" is probably my favorite. The song turns 50yo later this month.

My interpretation (and what I've read online) is that the song is about the cycle of life, young to old, and the things we face along the way. The things that seem tremendous to us individually barely make a mark in the passage of time.

It's only castles burning...
Old 09-09-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweave69 View Post
Wow, that's good to hear! At the end of the day, I just want it to sound good; fit and finish are secondary.
The only thing I've played recently that I enjoyed. I tried a bunch of Eastman OM's and Dreads that didn't really do anything for me. But that 00 slope is just so fun. I'm kinda torn on getting it because the goal was to get something comfy for the couch that wouldn't disturb neighbors. It's certainly comfy on the couch...but it can get plenty loud when strumming
Old 09-10-2020, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDR20 View Post
I had a chance to play an E20 00 at Martin Music in Memphis (which always has a good acoustic collection). Had the neck been just a tad less chunky I'd own it; it was a great little guitar with tremendous volume and a nice clean tone.
Don't think I can pull the trigger without trying one in person for that very reason. That "Traditional Even C" neck profile had me concerned. I ordered both Larrivee's online because I knew what to expect. Thanks for bringing that up.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDR20 View Post
Was this recently? Martin is my local shop as well and I bought my E10-00 from them a few weeks back. I'd be heading over if they have an E20-OO to play as well.

To answer the original question. I love the tone of the E10-OO 12-fret Eastman. It's incredibly loud with a ton of sustain and mid-range. The neck is a bit wider and chunkier than I'd like it to be (compared to the narrower Eastman OM's that I have) but I'm getting used to it and it's worth it for the tone of the OO.

I've tried to convince myself to like and purchase the E10ooss/v (also at Martin Music) several times. I love the way the ooss/v look, but every time I pick one up they just seem very boxy. The tone from the 12-fret model compared to the 14-fret oo was like night and day to me.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
Was this recently? Martin is my local shop as well and I bought my E10-00 from them a few weeks back. I'd be heading over if they have an E20-OO to play as well.

To answer the original question. I love the tone of the E10-OO 12-fret Eastman. It's incredibly loud with a ton of sustain and mid-range. The neck is a bit wider and chunkier than I'd like it to be (compared to the narrower Eastman OM's that I have) but I'm getting used to it and it's worth it for the tone of the OO.

I've tried to convince myself to like and purchase the E10ooss/v (also at Martin Music) several times. I love the way the ooss/v look, but every time I pick one up they just seem very boxy. The tone from the 12-fret model compared to the 14-fret oo was like night and day to me.
The E10-OO is what I was gravitating towards when I did some research on YouTube. But The 1 13/16 nut was a concern, especially with the chunkier neck. It's strange that the OO's have either a 1 11/16 or 1 13/16. I really just wanted a 1 3/4 after playing a OOO-18 at GC...the searching journey continues...
Old 09-10-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The E10-OO is what I was gravitating towards when I did some research on YouTube. But The 1 13/16 nut was a concern, especially with the chunkier neck. It's strange that the OO's have either a 1 11/16 or 1 13/16. I really just wanted a 1 3/4 after playing a OOO-18 at GC...the searching journey continues...
Yeah, I LOVE the sound and it was set up at the factory even lower than the local luthier shoots for (with no buzz), but I'm still just a little bit slower switching into bar chords on it. I'm sure many of the people on this board wouldn't have a problem with it, but I can tell the difference. I'm getting faster and faster as time goes on though.

My problem now is that I NEED to find a slim-neck 1 3/4 inch 12 fret OM.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:31 PM

I have an E10 00. Great little guitar, very articulate and superb tone. It was a little tight out of the box but as I play it, and keep it out on a stand in my music room, I have really found that it opens up quickly. It holds tune very well with the knock off Waverly tuners. The neck is really good for finger style playing as is the 1 13/16" nut.

I find myself grabbing this guitar, or my E20P, more often than my Martin, Gibsons or Collings. Great, small bodied guitar, with a lot of punch and depth. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these well built, little gems. I'm very happy I listened to some folks on this forum and purchased one to compliment my larger bodied guitars.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah I think 1 3/4 nut is about as high as I would want to go. I'm guessing the LTD stands for limited and is no longer produced since it's not on the website. Intersting that all their new OO offerings have either a 1 11/16 (14 fret) or 1 13/16 (12 fret)...
Hi, yes LTD are short run items by Eastman, I had one a 12 fret 00 size finished in what seemed to be creosote but a beautiful sound - sadly,regardless of design, they all have skinny necks, regardless of design, so it had to go back.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I don't think they "all" have skinny necks. The neck on my daughter's E1OO-LTD (12-fret 00) is very full / borderline chunky. It's super comfortable to play, and I told her that if she ever decides to sell it (don't think she will), she has to give me first dibs. The "ss" models seem to have the thinner necks to match the more narrow nut widths.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstar View Post
I have an E10 00. Great little guitar, very articulate and superb tone. It was a little tight out of the box but as I play it, and keep it out on a stand in my music room, I have really found that it opens up quickly. It holds tune very well with the knock off Waverly tuners. The neck is really good for finger style playing as is the 1 13/16" nut.

I find myself grabbing this guitar, or my E20P, more often than my Martin, Gibsons or Collings. Great, small bodied guitar, with a lot of punch and depth. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these well built, little gems. I'm very happy I listened to some folks on this forum and purchased one to compliment my larger bodied guitars.
So the 1 13/16 nut wasn't an issue? Or was there an adjustment period?
Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
My problem now is that I NEED to find a slim-neck 1 3/4 inch 12 fret OM.
I'm just a one guitar kinda guy (a true anomaly on this forum ). So that being said, I too may be considering an OM/OOO instead of a OO, but only time will tell. I think the hunt is half the fun...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion