The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Question Advice on Larrivees

I’m looking into getting a new acoustic guitar. I play blues with a pick and bluegrass. I’m looking for a drednaught or GA that is loud and responsive and ideal for strumming and flat picking. I’m trying to keep my budget around 1,000-1,200. I’ve heard Larrivee guitars are fantastic for what I need. I’ve found some shops that have used D-03’s. They’ve all said that the equivalent Martin would be a D10, which is nothing to write home about IMHO. Anyone care to weigh in on this?
Old 09-09-2020, 04:36 PM

I think you would be happy with either the hog or rosewood D40 Legacy. I have owned several D03 models as well as a D09, and they definitely didn’t have the volume you are looking for.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:45 PM

They’re all solid wood, and they don’t sound precisely like a Martin. Larrivee D-03’s tend to be very well-balanced from bass to treble. Martin’s mahogany dreadnoughts tend to have a bit more bass response, although the best D-18’s also have a good tonal balance.

Anyway, rather than having a sweeping generalization that all examples have a specific sound, it’s important to remember that each one will sound a bit different from any others because no two tops will vibrate exactly the same way.

So try to keep that in mind as you work your way through the selection process.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Larivee’s in general pack a ton of value for the dollar. In the used Larivee market, your budget can buy you a lot of guitar. I owned a Larivee dread I bought for a second residence that was spruce and silver oak. I paid $700 for it used and it was close to mint condition. I was blown away at the quality and level of finish. I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it a few years later. I was not a dread guy but that guitar had wonderful tone, very balanced. The silver oak back had an almost 3D quality to it, beautiful. Good luck on the hunt..
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:01 PM

A good D03 will do a fine job for you. Ive owned a few and feel that Larrivees are great instruments.
Rb
Old 09-09-2020, 05:08 PM

Larrivees are the equal of Martin and Taylor IMO. I've owned all three and still do. You should be able to get 35%-40% off the price listed on the Larrivee website by using one of our forum sponsors, so you should be able to get one new near your price range.

The 40 series is terrific. I had an SD-40 (slope dread) for a short while and absolutely loved it, but I had to let it go because it was just too loud for my tinnitus. I've never been so bummed. I still have my L-30 though.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I have an older ('96) L-19. 16" lower bout but not a dreadnought shape and different bracing (less overtones). I used it a lot years ago for folk-rock and bluegrass style songs. A similar version is the L-09.

Here's an L-09 on Reverb, from Birmingham. It's out of your range but wanted to see what might be out there. (I think it's overpriced but of course everything is negotiable).
https://reverb.com/item/35628829-larrivee-l-09-natural

The SD has been mentioned. The L/SD models are generally more expensive. Folks have always loved the sound of mine (and so have I on the few occasions my buddies would play mine, and then I could hear it better).

I think you would be happy with any of these Larrivee models.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 09-09-2020, 05:56 PM

As others have already pointed out, don't just count the D-03 out without giving several examples a try. Sold sitka top, solid mahogany back & sides, single piece mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard. A new one might fall close to your price range, used in excellent condition without a doubt. I picked up a used one from 2003, hardly played and in very good condition, for $500 from Guitar Center a year or so ago. I tweaked its setup and the more I play it, the better it sounds. I don't think equating it to one of Martin's budget lines is fair or accurate.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC

Last edited by GGSanders; 09-10-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:32 AM

The Larrivee D03 is a great guitar, but it is not a Martin in voice.
That doesn’t mean it won’t do you a good job. I love the balance it provides and it has its own vibe. Any one I ever picked up was on par with a Martin build-wise.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-10-2020, 04:54 AM

I played my D-40 in the same room against a Martin D-18. In sheer volume it was very close with a slight edge to the Larrivee. But I was pretty obsessive with keeping my Larrivee's humidity in the low to mid 40's. In tone, it's just like others have posted, the Martin has the classic traditional tone that you would expect. The Larrivee has a more modern tone, somewhat between a Taylor and a Martin. The Larrivee seems more balanced with a little more sparkle to my ears. If Larrivee had a production short-scaled instrument without special ordering, I'd be all over it! Incredible instruments for the money!
Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

the D 03 is a great guitar and I agree with all that others have said about it and Larrivees in general. I'm not a dread guy so have an L 03 I love. I agree with Rokdog that it's equal to my Martin's in terms of build quality. It's as close to a dread as I have in my collection with strong bass response and a great balanced sound. That it is rosewood B/S and a cedar top contributes some to the uniqueness. As a bonus it is not a gloss finish so I don't worry as much about fingerprints!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion