The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Help choosing a guitar!

Hi guys!

I'm looking to make my first real purchase of an acoustic guitar here in Australia. I've scoured all the places including facebook marketplace, reverb, gumtree and ebay.

With a budget of $1000AUD give or take a few $$, I have narrowed it down to these models:
1. Faith Neptune High Gloss - Solid Engelmann Spruce T, Solid Rosewood B&S.
2. Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe - Solid Spruce T, Solid Rosewood B&S.
3. Martin XC1T Ellipse - Solid Sitka Spruce T, Laminate Satinwood B&S.
4. Taylor 210e - Solid Sitka Spruce T, Laminate Rosewood B&S.
5. Taylor 114ce - Solid Sitka Spruce T, Layered Walnut B&S.
and lastly,
6. Martinez Timberidge TRC-7, Kiln-dried Solid Engelmann Spruce, Solid Western Red Cedar B&S.

The last one is a wild card as it is not as well-known as the other guitars but the seller has offered to negotiate below $900AUD, and given the specs, should I worry about the name on the headstock? I'm guessing resale value would be less as it is not that well known (not that I want to sell my guitar, but in case I do need to). I have a couple of picture of the Martinez. Just to add, the seller did say that it a luthier had set it up recently for better playability, and that he had compared it to Martins, Taylors and Guilds and found that this one was better. I'm not quite sure what to think of that, if it should affect my decision.

Thank you for any help or insight you can offer!

Last edited by DopamineDilemma; 09-04-2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Extra information
Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 PM

Hi and Welcome.
Are you a strummer or flat-picker or finger-style player and do you need a cut-away and pickup system?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-04-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Hi and Welcome.
Are you a strummer or flat-picker or finger-style player and do you need a cut-away and pickup system?
I'm in between a strummer and finger-style player. I don't mind either cutaway or non-cutaway, and yeah it would be nice to have a pickup for the times I might need it.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:58 PM

I've had Taylors and Martins and both are good. But my new Faith Neptune
is simply awesome for sound, tone and projection. That being said, re-sale value would probably hold better with the Taylor & Martin.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopamineDilemma View Post
I'm in between a strummer and finger-style player. I don't mind either cutaway or non-cutaway, and yeah it would be nice to have a pickup for the times I might need it.
Brucebibs question is very salient. There are lots of "packages" with electrics and cutaways - both of which add cost to the product - which means you are getting less "guitar" in the package.

So, if you are spening a $1000 then you are probably getting a $500 guitar with stuff you will probably never use.

Also, why get a dreadnought if you are still learning? I'd suggest that you seek out a smaller guitar initially - dreads aren't really made for playing seated.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:35 PM

would you consider an Australian-made guitar? i've been wanting to play/demo one of the new Cole Clark Guitars:
http://coleclarkguitars.com/

apparently they have amazing pickup systems too. i wonder if you can get it cheaper in Australia since they are made there.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
would you consider an Australian-made guitar? i've been wanting to play/demo one of the new Cole Clark Guitars:
http://coleclarkguitars.com/

apparently they have amazing pickup systems too. i wonder if you can get it cheaper in Australia since they are made there.
Even in Australia you won't find a Cole Clark to fit the OP's $1000 budget.

This used Takamine might be a better choice - but I'd want the action lowered down a bit if the sellers description is accurate. [url]https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Takamine-acoustic-electric-EF340SC-NS-Solid-Wood-

This great looking 'full body' PRS SE T60E with hardcase would be my choice - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-T60E-Tonare-Grand-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Hardcase/193617620428?hash=item2d14826dcc:g:HQUAAOSwyHVfL03 y

Here's a picture of one I found.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-09-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker-bill View Post
I've had Taylors and Martins and both are good. But my new Faith Neptune
is simply awesome for sound, tone and projection. That being said, re-sale value would probably hold better with the Taylor & Martin.
No brainer to me: get a Faith - the others are generally all low end models. With Faith, they only do one level: prices are different only due to the trim and the type of finish. With a Faith you get all solid woods, excellent craftsmanship and great playability for a ridiculous price, especially used. I just took delivery today of my third used Faith (NGD at the weekend) and have yet to be disappointed. They hold their own with my other guitars by brands such as Guild, Taylor and Collings. That said, do try to play a few first as their neck profiles can vary due to hand finishing - the 45mm nut neck on my Mars 12 fretter fits beautifully, especially for fingerpicking, yet a 14 fret 43 mm nut Mars I tried in a shop felt too cramped, while the all hog 14 fret 43 mm Mars on which I took an impulsive punt this week feels great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion